“Lovely experience”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is my second stay at the Royal in just over a year. I can find nothing to criticise at all,in fact all that I can do is recommend!! The staff are attentive and polite at all times-especially the Restaurant Team. Such lovely food-I had Breakfast and dined later in the day inThe Brasserie Brunel. The Menu suits all tastes and is beautifully cooked and presented. The rooms are decorated to suit the period of the building-no air conditioning but fans are easily available and this was really no problem. I only needed a sheet on the bed during the whole of my stay. The last time I stayed at the Royal was during the Winter and I was as snug as a bug in a rug!! This Hotel is well worth a try-the central location is worth it's weight in gold and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your lovely review which I was delighted to share with all of our staff, who will be as proud as I am to read that your second stay with us in just over a year was as pleasant as the first one.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back on many occasions in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

If there was a lower mark than Terrible I would use it. Let's start with no air conditioning!! All you have is a fan, which is so noisy. And you cannot open the windows properly. Bedrooms are shabby, the sofa had seen better days (probably a day in 1972), it had the most disgusting dark stain on it. Bed clothes were old and out moded, and heavy weight, inappropriate for Summer stays. The bathrooms were just horrible, you know its bad when despite having a shower you still feel grubby. The restaurant, is awful, the standard of breakfast was poor, and plates and cutlery no better than a motorway truck stop. We cancelled the dinner reservation we had made following the breakfast experience on the first morning. The staff were far more interested in chatting about a seagull than pay attention to guests. We didnt bother with breakfast the next morning, instead went to a local cafe. All in all our stay at Royal Bath Hotel has been entirely underwhelming and in no way could be considered value for money. Just awful. We are sending our comments to Patrick McGuire the Hotel Director, so we hope he takes note and makes the necessary changes needed to make this hotel worth the price you are paying for the rooms.

Room Tip: Dont book. There are plenty of other hotels in Bath that you can choose from. The price of rooms is...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
43  Thank Michelle B
PatronHandR, Owner at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

I was really surprised and bitterly disappointed to read your review following your stay with us and I would like to deal with some of the issues you have raised.

Yes, we do not have any air conditioning but many hotels lack this very expensive installation in every bedroom and we do not advertise this facility. Fans are provided for all bedrooms during this particularly hot period and most of our guests find this satisfactory.

As for the windows, with respect, the windows do open properly and I personally checked the room you slept in after reading this review and found that your room was no exception.

I simply do not accept our bedrooms are shabby as they are redecorated on a rolling basis by our permanent in house decorator. I accept that our choice of decor (recommended by a professional designer) may not be to your personal choice but our building is Grade II listed and was built some 150 years ago and we try to retain the character of this property which was designed by Brunel.

The bed sheets are Egyptian cotton and, therefore, I do not understand the observation that they are “out moded” and of course during the warm weather all that one needs to do is to use the cotton sheet as opposed to a blanket and bedspread.

Equally I do not accept that our bathrooms are “horrible” as they have all recently been tiled from floor to ceiling with new sanitary ware installed, with all showers functioning correctly

What you describe as a “disgusting dark stain” on the sofa is, in fact a water mark which unfortunately was created when we did have to remove a stain from the sofa. It is an unfortunate fact that water marks are particularly difficult to eliminate from certain materials and this is the case with this particular sofa and of course, bedroom furniture in hotels do stain but as I repeat the stain was removed from this sofa but left a watermark.

I must also take issue with your observations regarding the quality of our food, as can be seen from other reviews, we receive excellent comments from guests who dine with us and in the case of breakfast we have, over the past two years, retained the Tourist Board Award for the quality of our breakfast.

There is little point in me asking you to return for another visit with our compliments as you have obviously taken the view that The Royal Hotel is not for you, but at least I hope my reply has gone some way to addressing some of the issues that you have raised.

Patrick McGuire
Director

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Relais et Chateau it isn't, but if you are looking for a clean, comfortable hotel in the centre of Bath you couldn't do much better than to stay here. In my experience the staff will go well out of their way to make sure your stay is a happy one and the manager leads by example in this. Additionally the restaurant staff deserve a special mention, recommending dishes which would be available quickly one evening when we were dashing off to catch a show, and making sure the food came out in time so we weren't late.

The only reason I've not given full marks was because of the super-creaky floor in our room - I felt for the people below us, they must have heard every footfall. Also, good point - it's opposite the station. Bad point - it's opposite the station! But the beds were extremely comfortable and we slept like logs with the window shut due to the extra-large, 3 speed fan which was thoughtfully provided.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

No we are not a “Relais et Chateau” but we do try to provide a quality of service which would hopefully get pretty close to what one would expect at such a luxury establishment.

Thank you for praising our staff and, in particular, for their taking the initiative of recommending the dishes which are available given you were attending a local show.

Yes we do have some creaky floor boards and we will address those in the room which you used on this occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Great location for the station and town.
Thought it would be a great location till I tried to go sleep, there is a night club near and till 3am in the morning had to listen to drunk people walking past swearing and shouting.
Also walls are paper thin and can hear everything from neighbouring room especially when they decided to get up at 5.45 and play music. Had to knock on there door.
Breakfast was average.
Not great value for money as room was £115.00.

2  Thank Jodi L

I very much regret that you were disturbed by people walking past the hotel having exited a late bar/club which is some 100 metres from The Royal.

I am sure you will appreciate that there is not much we can do about this sort of behaviour given that the people concerned were not guests of the hotel. We very rarely have this problem, thank goodness.

I also regret that you were disturbed by a guest next door who was irresponsibly playing loud music early in the morning.

With regards to breakfast we were particularly disappointed to read that you considered it only to be “average” when we receive glowing reviews about our breakfast as evidenced in other reviews on TripAdvisor and the fact that we have received an award for the past two years from the Tourist Board for its quality.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and were very impressed with the standard of everything, we made sure that we had a 1st floor room with a large full length opening window which enabled us to get plenty of ventilation as it was a sunny couple of days, the room and bathroom were spotless with a very good shower, you do get outside noise as it is outside the railway station, but the glazing was good and with the window shut it was minimal, they did warn us it was a noisy side of the hotel but it did not bother us in any way even with the window open.

The food was good and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The position of the hotel is perfect for walking to any part of the city with an open top bus tour stop outside the hotel.
The hotel was an excellent choice for us

Room Tip: 1st floor room with large opening windows
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for the review that you have posted following your stay with us.

We are delighted that you were impressed with the facilities, food and service and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We spent one night, the hotel was close to the attractions and the train station. The room was clean and comfortable, no air conditioning. Service at the reception was helpful and friendly. Breakfast included the buffet and anything on the menu so there was lots of taste food, service was quick and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you very much for your short but pleasant review following your stay with us.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights. Room was large & bathroom was clean. The room lacked good air conditioner & bar fridge. Breakfast was nice but not much choices. We had nice dinner on the first night. All staff were warm & friendly. Lift was very small.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Sandra G
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for posting your review but I was disappointed to read that you felt that the accommodation was overpriced when in fact we are on par with similar classified hotels in Bath.

Although we do not have air conditioning we do provide a fan to help the air circulation on the odd occasions when the weather is hot and muggy.

I was particularly disappointed to note that you felt that breakfast did not offer much choice when we continually receive praise for the wide choice of both hot and cold food with many of the items being selected as healthy options, so much so that we have received a Tourist Board Award for the quality of our breakfast.

On the other hand I was pleased to note that you enjoyed dinner and that you found our staff to be warm and friendly.

We do hope that you will return to us on a future occasion.