“Great Hotel,amazing food,friendly staff,what more can I say?”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Having stayed at the Royal recently for a girls weekend away I wanted to make sure I recommended it to others planning a trip to Bath as we had such a wonderful time. I am really surprised to read the negative reviews as I have nothing but compliments to give both the hotel and its staff.
The location is so convenient,especially if you are travelling by train.Easy to nip in and out of the town centre with shopping bags! The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was amazing. We had the dinner,bed and breakfast deal. All my food was cooked to perfection and I especially enjoyed the Tuna nicoise and the creme brulee. Breakfast was a feast with a choice of pastries,fresh fruit,yoghurts,actimel drinks,any sort of tea imaginable,and a large selection of cooked breakfasts. I would recommend eggs benedict!
I will dfinitely be returning to the Royal when I can think of another excuse to need to go to Bath.

Reviewed 1 June 2009

Luckily for this hotel it is in a fantastic location for accessibility of Bath, as this is its only plus point. We visited Bath for three days, and booked this hotel approximately 2 weeks before, directly. Compared to other hotels of a similar class this hotel seemed more expensive, so I assumed it would be a better quality. We had to park over the road in the station car park. The rate is £8 weekdays for 24 hours, and £4 weekends for 24 hours. Our room was a first floor room overlooking parking spaces, and right by the coach/bus collect/drop off point so was noisy most of the day and night. Our room and its cleanliness was disappointing to say the least. Our bed linen was very dirty, make up and dirt was on all three of the pillows we were given for our double bed, and had clearly not been changed after the last guests left. Two bottles of complimentary water were in our room - one was half drunk, the other full. The complimentary shower gel was empty. The toilet roll finished and left empty. The previous guests tooth brush still by the sink, one pair of complimentary slippers on the window sill and the other on the chair. If the least you expect from a hotel is clean bed linen and a clean, stocked room then this is not the hotel for you - whatever your budget. Breakfast is very basic, and average. At the point of booking I emailed the hotel for an extended check out time, as we wanted the room until at least 2pm, rather than 11am. This was agreed immediately via email. On the day of departure, we decided to spend a few more hours in the City Centre. I received a call from the hotel, asking where we were and why we had not checked out. I advised that we asked for an extended check out and this was approved. To this I was told "no". This was followed by more "no we don't extend check out", "you must be confused with check in". I advised the lady on the phone that I had an email from the manager, and I had bought a copy of the email with me. She responded with "Jesus Christ, okay. Bring it with you". When we returned to the hotel, we went to get changed for the drive home, and were then interrupted by the cleaner, asking when were we going as she needed to clean our room? It was by now only 1pm. In order to rectify the disastrous start and finish to our stay at this hotel, we were left a bottle of house champagne and given the first night free. If Bath had not been such a fantastic place to visit, along with its brilliant attractions - Bizarre Bath Tour (a must!), Thermae Spa, The Roman Baths etc, we would have had our weekend away ruined by this hotel. They need to up their cleanliness and all take a lesson in customer service skills as these are both below aveage. We would definitely not return to this hotel, or recommend it.

2  Thank UKtraveller198018
recp, Director at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2009

I am a director of the company that owns and operates The Royal Hotel in Bath and I wish to respond to this review posted on the 1st June 2009.
Firstly I wish to emphasise that both my fellow directorand I take any complaints or indeed adverse comments from guests very seriously and one of us always personally follows up either by telephone or in writing if the person is not contactable by phone. Indeed we invite guests to complete a comment card by ensuring that there is always one in every bedroom and these are then scrutinised by me for any comments- good or bad. Thankfully we recieve very few complaints or adverse comments, but we do wish to learn from our guests as to how we can improve our service and hospitality.
On this occasion we must hold our hands up and sadly acknowledge that we let our guests down badly on their first night with us because the room which they were given had not been fully serviced after the previous guests. The cleaner responsible for this particular room had replaced the towels and toiletries but as he was awaiting a delivery of fresh bed linen from our laundry to enable him to replace the used items he decided to move on to deal with his other cleaning duties with the intention to return to this room to replace the used bed linen. Regretfully he forgot. This si inexcusable and as such he has been given a warning.
Unfortunatley the guests did not bring this issue to the attantion of our manager until the following morning as had they told us as soon as they realised that the bed linen had not been changed we would have dealt with it immediatley.
As the guests have acknowledged our General Manager sincerely apologised for this very serious shortcoming on our part and in addition to charging for the first nights accommodation she offered them a bottle of champagne as a token of our concern.
Turning to the issue of noise from buses unfortunatley the staion nearby was closed that weekend for maintenance and onward journeys to Bristol were being carried out by coach which meant there was an unusual amount of noise which of course was regretful.
With regards to the confusion relating to the request for a late check out unfortunately the assistant manager who sent th e mail confirming this request did not log it into the system and was not on duty that day. Again our mistake. However the receptionists comments have been taken out of context. She is a part time recptionist with a lovely personality but she is also a Slovakian student who although speaking and understanding English very well undoubtably chose the wrong words and gave the wrong impression when she asked to see the e-mail.
All in all a catalogue of shortcomings and errors on our part for which we apologised and tried to compensate for.
Thankfully this is a rare experience at The Royal

Patrick McGuire

Reviewed 28 May 2009

Very average three star hotel. Clean but pokey rooms (even the "superior" room we paid extra for. Staff polite but lacking in customer relationship skills. Breakfast awful. Microwaved full English. Yuk!

1  Thank CareyGLondon
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I thought the location would be convenient--- but it's only convenient for the train station. I thought there would be internet--- there was none available-- And when I asked about it they said they would call their tech guy and then just sat there. I thought the food would be good--- but there was fuzz in my desert and black spots on the fruit. The tables and some of the dishes were dirty. The staff was friendly--- until check out when I was overcharged and fought with them to be fair. I do NOT recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank AnotherJKG
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Having stayed at the Royal 2 or 3 times in previous years and knowing how perfect it is for location (walking distance for almost anything you would want to do in Bath and right opposite the Station-although you wouldn't know it as it's very peaceful), relaxation (the staff make you feel like old friends), food (could not believe the quality and choice), we had no hesitation booking a small group of friends in for a 40th weekend to remember. 2 or 3 had never been to Bath and only 2 of us had stayed at the Royal before. They were all "blown away" by our choice of hotel. The Reception, Bar & Lounge have been delightfully revamped since I was last there and the food seemed to be even better than I could remember (i.e. cod loin wrapped in pancetta with asparagus, followed by creme brulee) - possibly a new chef ? Value for money on the dinner deal was excellent as we had quite a bit of shopping & drinking to do over the weekend! and the rooms were an extremely comfortable oasis in between our many sorties out into the town. Could not recommend it highly enough and we were all sorry when the weekend finished!

Reviewed 25 May 2009

My room was dirty - the headboard had not been cleaned for weeks and there was a hairgrip from a previous guest on the floor. Only one pillow - the spare in the wardrobe had no pillowcase. The welcome was surly. The service staff, although friendly, were useless - asked for more butter at breakfast twice then gave up. Asked for dry bread to accompany my breakfast - toast arrived - did not understand the expression 'dry bread'. Bread rolls served with dinner hard and dry. Food OK, but no more. Definite lack of training apparent throughout. Closed bar to all, including residents, at 11pm on Saturday night. Couldn't serve coffee at 10.30pm!!!!!
If you're arriving by train, this is the most convenient place to stay - DON'T

2  Thank branwhite
Reviewed 10 May 2009

My husband and I decided it was time for a shopping trip and sightseeing in Bath (well I did!) - we booked the Royal Hotel and then looked up reviews after - we were slightly worried about the negatives reviews we had read.

The hotel is based across the street from the train station which was convenient as we arrived by train, during our stay we didn't hear any noise from the train station - some noise from the street but not excessive. The reception area is fairly small, the bar has a nice light airy feel to it with comfy chairs. The restaurant needed abit of updating but nice enough.

Check in was quick and easy, the rooms were ok (maybe abit overpriced for what it was) but just put it down to being in the centre of Bath. We had dinner on the first night in the restaurant, the service was great and the waitress was very efficient. We thought the meal was slightly overpriced compared to other restaurants in the centre, so ate elsewhere on the second night.

The staff on duty during our stay were helpful, the receptionist and bar staff were polite and friendly, the manager on duty (in fact he always seemed to be on duty) was Darren - he was brilliant, always helpful and went out of his way to ask how we were and chat to us, suggested places we should visit in Bath during our stay - the Spa was excellent. I didnt get much shopping done much to my husband's delight.
If it wasn't for the friendly welcoming staff at the hotel I would probably have not written the review. We didnt get a chance to thank Darren for all his help before we left, we will stay again and hope he is on duty when we stay. Many thanks for the excellent customer service.