“Good and bad - can't give a definitive wow or nay.”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Arrived on Thursday afternoon. First impressions were that it was clean, modern and excellent location in central Bath. No parking space available at time of booking but on checking in there had been a space cancellation so we managed to get that for £8.00 a day approx.

Check in receptionist was very pleasant and to the point. There is a lift that carries 2 people. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor. (We went with friends.)

We were in room 305. The room slopes which adds to the character of the building. There were all the usual amenities you would expect in a room including slippers and a small bottle of water. My initial concerns were a socket point half way up the wall which looked like a chipmunk had eaten all round the edge of it, wallpaper peeling off the wall near the bathroom and hair around the edges of the bathroom floor where the floor had not been cleaned sufficiently. This part of town is noisy on Friday and Saturday nights and we heard revellers making noise until the early hours, in itself not really a problem but the lack of sleep becomes a problem when you are woken very early in the morning by contractors renovating the huge building across the street. Twice I opened the curtains to see a man in a crane looking at us! (This can not be attributed to the hotel although a heads up would have been appreciated.)

Breakfast was not bad, all nicely cooked on order with fresh coffee, tea and toast brought to our table. They also have a table for cereals, dairy, pastries, fruit and juice. Very nice start to the day. We also enjoyed a meal there on the first evening. I had the Goats Cheese to start but found it still chilled and hard in the middle instead of warm and soft all the way through. They did an offer for dinner where they offered a bottle of red or white for dinner free of charge and we opted for the white which was very nice. The service was very friendly, organised and we felt looked after at dinner and breakfast.

The hotel has had a huge makeover last year. This shows in the bar mainly. I don't feel our room was made over as there were a couple of water stains on the coving and ceiling. There is air conditioning units all over the hotel, none of which appear to work. We asked a couple of times about the aircon and were told the same thing that they don't work. The hotel was extremely warm and I would have thought this issue would have been addressed in the makeover last year.

The door is locked at 11pm, the bar closes shortly afterwards, even for residents and room services ends at 9.30pm. We paid £65 for the first night and £130 for each other night b&b.

So, good and bad. We will be returning to Bath but will try a different hotel next time just so we can try and attain the value for money feeling in our choice of hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,245)

Reviewed 4 August 2009

I have just returned from a trip to Bath staying at the Royal Hotel. We stayed for two nights and we were pleased with the hotel. The location is great, only 5 minutes from the main attractions and the guided bus stops right outside.
When we checked in we were greeted by friendly staff which seemed to be a general trend throughout the hotel. The room was nice, very clean and had everything you need, the shower was brilliant.
We were staying on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal for £110 per room per night which is a great offer as the rooms cost £110 normally without dinner included. The dinner was fantastic, food was cooked lovely, I would really recommend anyone staying at the hotel to eat there.
The breakfast was OK, was a bit disappointed with the cooked breakfast but there was plenty of continental options on offer.
I would stay at the Royal hotel again if we could get the same offer but would not be inclined to spend a £110 for just B&B.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2009

My disabled elderly Mother and I, were recently fortunate enough to enjoy a short break at this hotel.
I checked the credentials of the hotel on Trip Advisor........was dismayed to find some very negative reviews......but always like to make our minds up about the places we visit.
I have to say we were very pleased with the Hotel and our stay was very pleasant.

We received a very warm welcome. I was asked if the arrangements for access were suitable for my mothers disabilities(they were)...and did we need anything to make our room more comfortable?

Our room was spacious, light and airy, and although our view was over the railway station, we were not unduly troubled by either noise of the train or traffic.

The bathroom was beautifully serviced and very clean.

Food in the Hotel was excellent, and represented good value for money.
The Hotel is ideally placed for shopping or sightseeing, and is just a short walk from all of the major attractions. The city sightseeing bus stops just outside the door too.

Bath is a beautiful place to visit, full of charm and history. Mum and I loved it.
Would I visit again......? Yes, in a heart beat.

Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 25 July 2009

This hotel is perfectly situated if you arrive by train: right across the train station. Our rooms were not ready, since we arrived early in a terrible weather, but our luggage was put in a locked closet for safekeeping. We paid £ 110 for a double and £ 69 for a single room.

The single room reminded me of Harry Potters closet under the stairs, the single bed just fitted. The lock on her door was just a turnkey without any handle and the door key fitted badly. When she let her door close on her, without her key with her, we had to go downstairs to get another key. The receptionist gave me one key with the room number on it out of a bucket filled with keyes, but it didn't fit. Another one with the same room number didn't fit either. Finally she had to take all of her keyes on her keyring and had to try them all. It gave me some idea of how the management had organized their hotel. Our double was not much bigger, cramped and outdated and smelly but it looked clean on first inspection. There was no airconditioning, but a fantower was provided.

It is difficult to park in front of the hotel, if you want to load or unload your luggage. The parking places are small, around the back of the hotel and although 4 places should have been available, only one was. The lounge has a bar and is reasonable. The restaurant was not as bad as we expected: diner was good and reasonably priced. But it was raining hard that night, otherwise we would have gone for a bite elsewhere. We were glad we were only staying for one night. Never again!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I have just returned from a weekend away in Bath and I must say apart from the poor weather we had a most enjoyable weekend staying at the Royal Hotel. The staff were all friendly and were helpful when we were asking advice on where to go, the room was nicely decorated, comfortable and most importantly impeccably clean and breakfast served in the morning was delicious. A great city centre location we shall be visiting again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Stayed here for two nights from 6th July 2009. When checking in staff were helpful and friendly . Although we were there at 2 oclock and check-in was not until 2-30 pm guy on reception went up to check if our room was ready. It was and we were very happy with general appearance of room which was clean and bright. There were tea/coffee making facilities with a good selection topped up daily. Evening meal was a little disappointing- good service but rump of lamb very tough, and chicken overcooked.As menu is limited I think a lighter touch could improve things quite easily as portions and decor were fine. Breakfast was excellent with a great selection, as good as I have seen anywhere. From our experience I do think some reviews are harsh .

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I travel quite abit on business so have seen several hotels during my time. After reading other reviews i will keep it short and sweet.
The rooms were not what I expected - rather dated and like other reviewers are in need of a good clean.
The lady on reeception was welcoming enough, although the older lady when I checked out was rather abrupt and not very friendly.
The meal was disappointing and would recommend to eat in a resturant in Bath - there are plenty out there for better value.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business