“Lovely little cafe!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Castle Combe, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lovely little cafe!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Such a lovely place - really nice staff and absolutely incredible vegetarian food!!

An amazing find!

Visited March 2014

Devizes
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great recommmendation from VisitBath”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We found this place following a suggestion for somewhere to eat that served ethical food from 'Visit Bath' staff. Tucked away below street level, this great little vegetarian cafe is hidden away but not far from the main shopping precinct. We were immediately greeted by friendly staff, a pleasant hubbub and fantastic ambience. It is very relaxed, cosy and comfortable. The flat breads that we had were both great ('Mexican' and 'The Farmer'), not cheap but you get what you pay for. Although it was busy (and got a lot busier after we arrived being a Saturday lunchtime) we were served drinks almost immediately after ordering and food very promptly. We will definitely eat here again.

Visited February 2014
Bath, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Delightful trip to the '80s”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

There was a strange sense of being transported back in time when I visited Chapel Arts for the first time in November: in a good way! Unlike a lot of Bath cafes, there is a complete lack of trendy pretensions - eg lime-washed woodwork and little zinc buckets - but on the other hand a really relaxed, pleasant, uncomplicated cafe experience. The coffee was great and I loved the display of pottery to buy. Fun!

Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
299 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 479 helpful votes
“A tired building needing some lottery funding”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

this isI visited this building during last evening 28.11.13 to see a documentary about Pussy Riot as part of the Bath film Festival 2013. I do not normally read other reviews before writing my own but in this case I noticed reviews about a cafe which I did not visit because it was closed. I must do so next time.

I realise this building gets hard use from many people but it really is dilapidated. I seem to have bad luck recently with toilets but halfway down the stairs I could smell be sickly sweet smell of urine that someone tried to cover up with a few blocks of disinfectant. The remedy is to actually get someone into clean it. Toilets do not clean themselves and although it was not actually dirty, smell does give it away. This was on my way to a door at each end of corridor marked 'cafe'. I wonder if this was a back entrance.

The other major gripe I have was a lack of air conditioning in the hall, which was by no means full. I had to stand up and walk around at the back to try and find some trace of fresh air but it was a bit like being in a sauna so goodness knows what it's like during a dance or crowded social occasion. Rather like my recent visit to the ICA in London, the pleasure was slightly spoilt.

From the overview point, this is one of the few reasonable priced venues in Bath which is known for its high rents and lack of suitable venues without having to pay a fortune. I suppose film festivals are regarded as alternative so there isn't a lot of money sloshing around.

Oh by the way, at the back of the hall there is a small bar which was pleasant enough. I paid £4.20 for bottle of cider which I found a bit excessive but the cider was nice I must admit.

Come on lottery funds let's have some fresh woodwork, a lick of paint and a venue that is not so difficult to find. It is down a side alley and signage is not illuminated. I guess if you are a local you know where all places are anyway.

Edinburgh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Venue with beautiful Sound”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a hidden gem very close to the centre of Bath - in fact just around the corner from Marks and Spencers. It is an old chapel turned into an amazing venue for intimate concerts, Jazz, folk, alternative country. The sound engineer is exceedingly gifted, so this is a beautiful place to hear gorgeous vocalists, singer songwriters, etc. They often have it set up like an old fashioned night club, with cafe tables and candles and the bar is always open (after all, this is England). Check out what is playing there when you are in town. Another one of Bath's cultural jewels.

1 Thank Wanda B