“Bouncers and door staff unacceptably rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Komedia Bath

Komedia Bath
Ranked #3 of 11 Concerts & Shows in Bath
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Komedia Bath operates in the beautiful former Beau Nash picture house, a grade one listed building on Westgate Street. Since opening in 2008 it has become an important element of the arts quarter in Bath and presents a large and diverse programme focused on comedy and music, and extending to cabaret, spoken word and kids events. Cornerstones of the programme include the all conquering Saturday night Krater Comedy Club, and the bi-monthly Ministry of Burlesque’s Twisted Cabaret. The venue has become a feature on the comedy touring circuit, hosting acts such as Russell Howard, Ross Noble, Jenny Eclair, The Boy With Tape on His Face and many others. Music shows have constantly increased in profile since opening with a wide range of genres attracted to the Komedia Bath including The Feeling, Kate Nash, Ronnie Size, Lulu, The Levellers, Ash, Bellowhead, Clare Teal, Candi Staton, Noah and the Whale, Dry the River, Fink, Frank Turner and Chase & Status.The venue boasts a 615 standing capacity and a 427 cabaret seated capacity which includes a balcony seating 173 people. Komedia Bath also operates a daytime Arts Cafe, offering the only menus in Bath that are accredited to the Soil Association Gold Standard. The Arts Cafe is host to VIP customers at the weekend and on weeknights often operates as a studio venue, with the regular Komedia open mic nights for aspiring performers. The project to develop the Beau Nash to host Komedia Bath won The Building Excellence Award for The Best Renovation of a Listed Building in the UK. Since opening the Komedia Bath has also won The Chortle Award for Best Venue in the West of England five times, cementing the venues position at the top tier of venues in the UK.
Bath
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Bouncers and door staff unacceptably rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

I've seen a previous review on this website about the actions of security in Komedia, and a comment from the manager to try and hush things up. My personal experience from last night completely backs up that review. I came here on a Saturday night (when BLVD had rented out the venue) and the door staff were obnoxious and rude, taking far longer than necessary to let us in. One in particular made unnecessary comments about the state of one of my friends, who was in no way overly drunk. It ruined the whole evening for us and I will NOT be returning.

4 Thank Db9191

Bath, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“No Blues Here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Went with friends to see Paul Jones ( Radio 2) with his Blues Band. Decided not to go for the meal option but a very friendly member of staff found us seats before the music started. Bar staff equally calm and accommodating. Music was fantastic, and it was great to have the opportunity to buy a CD and meet the band in person during the interval. We'll done, K!

London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Fab Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had a fab night as we enjoyed the comedians we saw. We didn't stay for the disco afterwards.

They don't allow you in early, but it's worth queueing up outside from about 6pm so that you can choose where you sit. The food is limited but tasty and filling. There's a long wait for dessert as they have to get all the main courses out before the show starts, but we enjoyed them.

The waitresses are friendly, and if you run a tab, come and check on you regularly to make sure you never go thirsty ;)

I'd recommend it.

Bath
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Take your ear plugs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Komedia is undoubtedly a fun place and very popular.
If you are happy to risk permanent damage to your ear drums and enjoy comedians with a limited vocabulary you will probably have a good time. On the second occasion I went there the sound was so loud I had to leave early to escape the feeling that my ribcage was going to burst from the vibration. The best comedian I have seen there was the least known in the programme - she spoke relatively softly and only used the F word about 3 times per minute.
If I go again it will be against my better judgement and I will certainly go equipped with ear plugs.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank JeffManning
Waterford, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Comedy and Motown ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

We attended on Saturday night for the comedy show. There was 3 acts performing two of which were excellent. The last comedian was American and killed the room with poor jokes but the previous acts made up for this guy. After the show the venue turns into a night club playing Motown music and been in our early 20s were surprised of how good a night this was. I would recommend this night to any couple going to bath. A lot of fun, great night.