“THE WORST HOTEL - I HAVE EVER STAYED IN”
Review of The Ayrlington

The Ayrlington
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 20 December 2010

It has taken me a while to write this review - and I have only just done this because I have today commented on a brilliant hotel I visited last week (tripadvisor has only just been recommended to me) this one immediately came to mind as one of the worst places I have ever stayed at - BATH is beautiful - but if I can suggest anything do not stay here.
We arrived from London early, and we thought we drop our luggage off and then go into Bath - it was a Sunday in August we were in if I recall the Chinese Room - oh my god the decor was like it was a 1980's B&B - there was hole in the bathroom celing - my partner did not wish to cause a fuss - but I was fuming we had just spent over £120.00 in a supposedly five star hotel for a room that looked old and tired and to be honest the only good facility was the car park and a decent breakfast - the receptionist was unwelcoming and there were no other facilities to enjoy in the hotel - this was in essence an overpriced bed and breakfast I would have been better off booking the hotel above the Loch Fyne Restaurant or The Premier Travel Inn in town - at least I know what I would have been paying for?
I will be visitng Bath again in the spring - but I can assure you I will no be re-visiting this hotel under any circumstances.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kiran442
There are newer reviews for The Ayrlington

Reviewed 3 December 2010

This hotel is in an ideal location for the center of Bath taking us only 15 minutes to walk, I had a knee replacement 4 months ago, so could be quicker for others. We stayed in the Sienna room which is at the front of the building a large room with television, cd player and a well stocked hospitality tray. It was so hot in the room/bathroom we had to turn the heating down. All staff were very friendly and wiling to help. Exceptionally clean new towels every day if required. Breakfast very good. Good of road parking as once there we didn't need the car again so didn't have to worry about time limits for parking.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2010

The hotel reception on arrival was cold and difficult to get eye contact when talking. The garden room was overall not bad but heating in the room in November should be a necessity. We had to ask for a plug in heater and although they said they were aware of the radiators not working the fault was not rectified and our three night say was heated by a convector. At no time during our stay did anyone check if this was OK. The breakfast and staff in the breakfast room were warm and welcoming. However one night we were unable to walk back into town for water and as we were only provided with one small bottle of water in a double room, we asked for one more bottle so we had one each, were then charged £1.80 for an additional one as we were thirsty. Considering we had the inconvenience of the heating and we were in a 5 star hotel I would have expected them to make my special occasion ‘special’ but it became mediocre and business like. With the heating sorted and the general welcoming improved I might have enjoyed my special occasion. Not woth the money. What a shame!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janifran
Reviewed 16 October 2010

we stayed in a twin room which was a little compact, but still nice. It is a cosy georgian house which has good service. clean tidy room with free wifi and free off street parking. good location and an easy flat walk to see the sights of bath. very nice garden. generous breakfasts.

Only downside, there is no lift and were were on the 3rd floor so it was a bit hard to get luggage up and down the stairs.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2010

As a business traveller my job requires me to spend several nights away in a hotel every week. On my frequent trips to Bath I try and use this hotel if they have availability. Staff are always helpful, polite and discreet. All rooms are comfortable and have access to free high speed internet, especially useful when working in the evenings.
Parking can be difficult, but the car park is a bonus anyway in a hotel that's so close to the centre of town. Breakfast timings cater for the leisure traveller rather than the professional, but overall a super stay every time I visit.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2010

we stayed in the orchid room, which was lovely, modern and clean. the breakfasts were lovely and plenty of it, staff were very helpful and polite. the location was excellent only a 5 or so min walk to the city centre and having parking is a fantastic benefit. the only reason i didn´t score it the full 5 stars was because i thought it was slightly pricey, but other than that, it was faultless and an excellent place to stay. i would recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Just returned from a short break in Bath with my partner and I would like to just say how wonderfully nice the guest house and the city was. At the Ayrlington, we checked into suite named "Zen" which we had our own entrance and looked out into the lovely gardens at the back of the hotel. The suite was very comfortable, light and spacious with a nice bathroom too.
Even though we could only managed to stay one night, it was certainly worth it! We were only a few minutes walk from the city which was great as we were not right in the centre but close enough to have a ll the great place Bath has to offer.
Nice finishes inside the main guest house, also good service from the staff and the hotel had good on site parking too.
We shall be back to visit and to go to the Thermos spa.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple