“Great character, warm and friendly environment. Definitely recommend a stay!”
Review of The Ayrlington

The Ayrlington
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Having recently stayed here to bring in the New Year with my Wife we were extremely pleased with this Hotel. A very warm welcome and the lady on the reception was very helpful with advice for restaurants in Bath. Rooms packed with character and very clean and warm. Great location with a 5 min walk into Bath centre.

• Stayed: December 2010

Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights to see not only the city but the Christmas Market.
We were pleasantly greeted and shown to our room, which had a lovely view of the Cathedral, and the hotel gardens. We had initially been told that we would have to move rooms after the second night as they were so full, but they had managed to move bookings around to accomodate us for all 3 nights in one room, excellent customer service!
Being able to park the car there was a huge benefit, as the city was literally a 5 minute walk away. Breakfast was lovely, a very generous full english to set us up for the day.
Overall a lovely hotel and very pleasant ambience.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Ayrlington about 5 years ago and didn't hesitate to stay there again on our recent visit back to Bath. You can't fault the service, the room sizes, the free parking, the 'comfiness' of the bed, the location of the hotel or the general cleanliness but we noticed this time round that it feels slightly dated in its decoration, especially in the bathroom. I know you pay for more than just the room when you stay in a hotel and in other ways you could say the Ayrlington is worth the price but I'm not sure, it felt a little expensive this time for what we got. I wouldn't want to put people off though as it's certainly far from being a bad hotel. Just one thing though, if you need the free internet that is advertised then be wary of your room choice. If you're too far away from reception the internet won't work in your room so you will have to go to the lounge and whilst it's a lovely lounge it's not necessarily the same as using the internet in the comfort of your room, especially if you need to use it for a while.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I have no hesitation in recommending this place. A short walk away from the centre of Bath with comfortable (if a little hot) rooms and very friendly and efficient staff. Our rooms had decent views over the city. East meets West theme just about falls on the right side of naff and the breakfast is wonderful without a noodle in sight. The toiletries (dread word) in the rooms are really good but ascending three flights of stairs with luggage is not. Free wi fi is a bonus as is the free parking.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Micky_Mayer
Reviewed 20 December 2010

It has taken me a while to write this review - and I have only just done this because I have today commented on a brilliant hotel I visited last week (tripadvisor has only just been recommended to me) this one immediately came to mind as one of the worst places I have ever stayed at - BATH is beautiful - but if I can suggest anything do not stay here.
We arrived from London early, and we thought we drop our luggage off and then go into Bath - it was a Sunday in August we were in if I recall the Chinese Room - oh my god the decor was like it was a 1980's B&B - there was hole in the bathroom celing - my partner did not wish to cause a fuss - but I was fuming we had just spent over £120.00 in a supposedly five star hotel for a room that looked old and tired and to be honest the only good facility was the car park and a decent breakfast - the receptionist was unwelcoming and there were no other facilities to enjoy in the hotel - this was in essence an overpriced bed and breakfast I would have been better off booking the hotel above the Loch Fyne Restaurant or The Premier Travel Inn in town - at least I know what I would have been paying for?
I will be visitng Bath again in the spring - but I can assure you I will no be re-visiting this hotel under any circumstances.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kiran442
Reviewed 3 December 2010

This hotel is in an ideal location for the center of Bath taking us only 15 minutes to walk, I had a knee replacement 4 months ago, so could be quicker for others. We stayed in the Sienna room which is at the front of the building a large room with television, cd player and a well stocked hospitality tray. It was so hot in the room/bathroom we had to turn the heating down. All staff were very friendly and wiling to help. Exceptionally clean new towels every day if required. Breakfast very good. Good of road parking as once there we didn't need the car again so didn't have to worry about time limits for parking.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2010

The hotel reception on arrival was cold and difficult to get eye contact when talking. The garden room was overall not bad but heating in the room in November should be a necessity. We had to ask for a plug in heater and although they said they were aware of the radiators not working the fault was not rectified and our three night say was heated by a convector. At no time during our stay did anyone check if this was OK. The breakfast and staff in the breakfast room were warm and welcoming. However one night we were unable to walk back into town for water and as we were only provided with one small bottle of water in a double room, we asked for one more bottle so we had one each, were then charged £1.80 for an additional one as we were thirsty. Considering we had the inconvenience of the heating and we were in a 5 star hotel I would have expected them to make my special occasion ‘special’ but it became mediocre and business like. With the heating sorted and the general welcoming improved I might have enjoyed my special occasion. Not woth the money. What a shame!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple