“What a Little Gem in the centre of Bath ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,”

Harington's City Hotel
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
“What a Little Gem in the centre of Bath ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Just Had a very relaxing break here with my wife , very nicely situated for shopping ,eating out and all the best sights in Bath ,Very accommodating staff ,lovely room will use again next time we visit Oh and the car parking was easy ,,,
see you soon ,,,,,,,,,,,

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a kind review of the hotel. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us. We are lucky with our location being in the heart of the city. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Kind Regards

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Turkish first
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I had the misfortune to stay at this hotel last Friday - what was supposed to be a nice start to the Xmas festivities turned out to be a huge mistake! Upon arrival, I was informed by the receptionist that my reserved parking space was, in fact, in the Charlotte Street public car park where no space was available in the bays allegedly reserved for the hotel. I drove round and round and still couldn't see any spaces for the hotel guests. When I rang the hotel, I was told to park anywhere. I had no change, just notes, and had to ask 3 people for the right change. They don't tell you upfront that they take the cars to an unsecure public car park and advertise it as "offsite parking". Well, I didn't particularly want to leave my brand new car in a public car park but had no choice. I then had to get up at 07.20 hrs the next morning to feed the meter in order to avoid a parking penalty. So much for a relaxing week-end! When I walked through the front door of the hotel having paid for my car and enquired where breakfast was served, the owner - Melissa - gave me a condescending look and said: "Are you staying at the hotel?". I wouldn't be wandering round the streets of Bath before 8am on Saturday morning if it wasn't for the hotel's total incompetency. Awful, awful place where some serious training needs to be put in place on customer interaction and courtesy. The staff are scruffily dressed, unhelpful, rude and actually talk over people. Disgraceful ! Lady "H".

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank helena g
sullyBath, Owner at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear TripAdvisor forum members let me explain what happened with this guest. The lady had booked one of our off-site parking spaces which we clearly advertise as being "off-site" when she went to the area where our reserved parking bays are located, none were available. This is because someone had illegally parked their car in one of our designated spaces. While this person was issued with a parking ticket later in the evening this was of little help to our guest who was expecting to park in one of our reserved spaces (Our spaces are covered by CCTV and we have never had an incident in the 10 years we have been operating Harington's).

Thus to resolve the problem we offered the guest complimentary use of the one staff parking space we have at the hotel. The guest declined this offer as she did not want to drive back to the hotel? We deducted the cost of parking from the guests room charge to make amends for any inconvenience caused. Unfortunately this was not satisfactory, and as a result we are being attacked on this forum for something that was completely outside our control .

In the morning we were expecting some non residents who had booked for breakfast at that time. Melissa merely asked the lady if she was here for breakfast (as she had never seen the guest before) an innocent question one would think? unfortunately the guest reacted in an aggressive manner in being asked weather she was coming for breakfast! I have no idea why?

Finally I would like to say we offer the parking as a service for our customers, so as when they come to Bath they have parking which can be tricky in such an old city. We make no financial gain from offering this service, we merely try to cover the costs of the spaces we rent from the council. We are here to help our guests, and if a problem arises we do our very best to try and find a solution, which I believe we did on this occasion. Unfortunately the issue has been blown completely out of proportion. Happy Christmas everybody and we hope to see you in the new year.
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2012

This is incredibly late of me (mainly because at the time I didn't know about Tripadvisor) but I have to say this hotel is fantastic and I loved every minute of staying there. My fiancee and I stayed a couple of years ago for our first anniversary and it couldn't have been better! Everything was so clean and modern but cosy at the same time. I'm actually thinking of going back in January for our next anniversary instead of going elsewhere in Europe, such a beautiful hotel!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us. We have refurbished a number of rooms since you stay, including room 6 that you stayed in previously. We do hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards

Coventry, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2012

My husband & I stayed in Harington's for our wedding anniversary & the Christmas markets when I was 7 months pregnant. The location meant it was easy for us to come back to the room regularly for me to rest, and since the staff had given us one of the easiest to access rooms (knowing I was pregnant) it meant we had a very relaxed holiday. The room was beautifully decorated & immaculately clean, the breakfasts were delicious & despite its central location the hotel was surprisingly quiet at night. Knowledgable, friendly staff meant we got good directions & information making all our sight seeing plans very easy & enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues let the staff know as there are a lot of stairs!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am extremely glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the hotel and found all the staff friendly and knowledgeable.

We are always happy to allocate rooms on the first floor if available, and assist with taking luggage to the room.

I am glad you had an enjoyable anniversary with us, and wish you the best with you upcoming baby. We do hope you will stay again in the future.

Regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at Harington's for 1 night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We wanted a central location to be able to explore Bath and it was perfect for that. Straight from our arrival the customer service we experienced was brilliant. Welcoming without being over bearing! The rooms are lovely - clean and comfy, the information provided in the rooms was very helpful. I hadn't been very well prior to going away and we requested to delay checkout which seemed to not be any problem and then the receptionist remembered and asked how I was feeling when we were checking out.
A really enjoyable stay and I cant wait to be able to go back.

Room Tip: Only saw room 10 where we stayed - definitely recommend it
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Thank you for you kind review of the hotel. I am extremely glad you found all aspects of the hotel to your liking and that you found all of the staff welcoming and courteous.

I am glad we could assist with giving you a later check out. We are always happy to do so whenever possible.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Hull/Manchester
Reviewed 23 November 2012

My boyfriend and I visited this hotel roughly a month ago. We found the hotel easily thanks to our sat nav - I would not recommend trying to navigate the one-way systems and narrow streets without assistance! The hotel is on a lovely little street, however it is terrible to drive down/stop on: I recommend if you're driving to the hotel to just go straight to the Charlotte Street car park and walk from there, it only takes a few minutes. In terms of parking the hotel has its own area reserved for guests in the aforementioned Charlotte Street car park, however we found that it worked out cheaper to call the phone number listed above the pay machine and pay for our parking over the phone (a good tip from a friendly parking attendant we happened across!) rather than book a parking pass with the hotel itself.

The hotel itself was lovely, our room was on the top floor and although it was a little small we were perfectly happy and it had everything we needed. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and one lady in particular was very helpful when we asked for restaurant recommendations - she immediately pulled out and started doodling on a map for us, showing us restaurants to suit a range of tastes and budgets. We ended up booking at a small high end (but very reasonably priced) family run restaurant called The Circus which I would definitely recommend.

Unfortunately on the first morning of our trip I fell very ill, so was unable to try the breakfast. However there was a wide selection of fruits, yogurts, cereals and pastries available, and you could upgrade to a cooked breakfast if you wished. Due to how ill I was we were unable to leave the hotel for the entire day (except for a trip to the hospital), but in the evening the staff were kind enough to lend us a DVD player for our room and allow us to select a few films to watch to keep us entertained.

All in all it was a great choice if you're willing to pay for a bit of luxury.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank samgiraffes
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found all the staff helpful.

I am glad we could assist you with the DVD player and DVD's for when you were unwell, and that we could assist with booking The Circus for you for dinner. It is indeed a very good restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Spent 1 night at Harington's for Christmas shopping in Bath. My sister and I wished it was for longer. Room was gorgeous,beautifully decorated,spotless,quiet and extremely comfortable. Being so close to the shops meant we could call back to unload our shopping and have a bite to
eat and glass of wine.
The staff couldn't do enough for us and breakfast was exceptional. Lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Room 7 was very quiet. 1 double & 1 single bed.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make such positive comments about the hotel and your stay. I am extremely please that you found the room comfortable and clean, and all the staff helpful. We are lucky with our location being so close to the centre.

We do hope you will visit again in the future.