“Lovely staff, lovely Hotel”

Harington's City Hotel
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Portsmouth
“Lovely staff, lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My Husband and I stayed 3 nights in Room 7 - a Family Room. We wanted something a bit larger than the Standard Room and this one was perfect. The Staff couldn't have been more helpful, even when I lost my room key (it was in my handbag all the time!) Spacious room , with a settee (that would have been an extra bed!) . Everything was clean, the bathroom modern, great shower, nice toiletries. The bed was very comfy, the Tea tray had Hot Chocolate and Biccies! The reason why we chose this Hotel was mainly the Central Position and of course the reviews in Trip Advisor! At this time of the year we like a break in a small city/large town central Hotel, do a bit of sightseeing and a bit of shopping and spend the evenings reading a couple of books, which brings me to the reason why I could not give this Hotel the "excellent" mark. The lighting in the bed room was terrible. It was tasteful! with all the up-lighting, but absolutely useless for reading. - maybe a standard reading lamp by the settee or a spotlight by the bed. anything that would have shed a bit of light on a page in a book. If that is not important to you - then The Hartington's is just perfect.
's is

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for your very kind review of your stay with us. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the hotel.

I am happy to hear that you found the staff to all be helpful. I am also happy that you found the room to be clean and modern.

I am sorry you found the room lighting to be low. We have recently invested in LED lighting across the hotel. I will of course look into this myself and see if we can rectify this for future guests.

Once again thank you for your kind review and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming again in the future.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed 3 November 2013

More a large guesthouse than what I think of as a hotel, Harington's is right in the centre of Bath, just off the sometimes well-named 'Quiet Street.'
It's a very friendly place with helpful and cheerful staff. Spotlessly clean rooms, a bit on the small side but very acceptable for a central location.
Parking can be impossible in the centre of Bath, but the hotel has ten or so leased spaces in the car park down the hill from Royal Crescent, about five to ten minutes walk away. They give you a parking permit and detailed directions through the one-way street system.
Breakfasts are superb, cooked fresh and served exactly as ordered, with the trademark friendliness that you come to expect after a while there.
Downside? I couldn't find one. Maybe a little pricey, but Bath isn't cheap. Good value for money though; I'd use this place again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
JulianMather, Manager at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you for your kind review of your stay with us. I am thrilled to here that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I am also very happy to hear that you found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast offering, we try to source as much as we can locally.

We are lucky with our location being right in the heart of the city. I am glad you would stay with us again in the future and look forward to welcoming you again.

Paris, France
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed in standard room 3rd floor. No lift but the staff took our luggage upstairs. Room was not very big but tastefully decorated, and comfortable (would not have been so for very tall or large people though). Continental breakfast very nice. Staff very efficient as we forgot a small object in the room and they immediately sent us an email to inform us, offering to send it by the post.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found all the staff to be friendly and efficient.

All of our rooms do vary in size due to the age of the building and all have been recently refurbished. I am glad that you found the décor to your liking.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you again in the future.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed for one night in Room 1. We found the staff to be super friendly, the hotel very quirky and clean, the room beautifully decorated (also bed very comfy and shower hot and powerful) and breakfast very tasty. As a gay couple we have had negative experiences when staying at hotels in the past, but this hotel is gay friendly and proudly displays a rainbow flag on its door. The hotel is perfectly located for shopping, eating out (Jamie's is a 1 minute walk away!) and sightseeing. We loved it.

• Stayed October 2013
sullyBath, Owner at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest, thanks for your comments. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay so much. We are proud to be a gay friendly hotel in the beautiful city of Bath. We care about people here and nothing else. We want our guests to have a great time while staying with us. As you mentioned Jamie's Italian is just a 1 minute walk away from us, as are dozens of equally really good restaurants. We have a Bath restaurant bible in reception with sample menus for guests to look at while trying to decide which restaurant to visit. Our reception staff are very happy to make bookings for guests and to make recommendations.

I hope we can have the pleasure of your company again in the not too distant future.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in October. After reading the reviews we both has high expectations and they didn't disappoint. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the rooms were really lovely and had its own unique touch. The shower was excellent and the location was pretty much perfect- 10 minute walk from the train station and the thermea spa which was fantastic! Had such a great stay and would definetly go back!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest, I was very happy to read that we managed to meet your high expectations during your recent visit to us at Harington's. I will pass on your comments to all all the team. We love hearing that people have enjoyed their stay with us. Having such a great location is something many of our guests comment on. It is great for the shopping season approaching with Christmas, the best shops in the city are on our door step. People love being able to just pop back with their shopping bags, drop them into their rooms and head out again, refreshed and ready to go!

We hope to see you back at Harington's again.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Despite being told that Bath was a hot bed of ghostly sightings there was no such experiences for us at Harringtons. Instead we had two very pleasent nights sleep. There was some street noise from the freshers week but they all toddled off to bed before 11:30pm so were no real bother. Breakfast was very good and enough to maintain a steady tourist trek around Bath until the soul weakened and succumbed to the temptation of Coffee and Cake. Would we stay again? Yes definitely. We took advantage of the hotel parking pass for Charlotte street carpark although the sat nav was in a spin with Bath's notorious chronic one way system!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
sullyBath, Owner at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear Guest. thanks for your kind review. You should have taken part in the ghost walk tour around Bath, I'm sure you would have enjoyed it. We try to keep all ghosts away from Harington's as they can get up to all kinds of mischief!

Sat Navs can be strange when driving around Bath. Some guests will arrive right outside the front door with no problems what so ever while others end up doing circles. If anyone is travelling by car print out the step by step instructions on our website on how to reach us, always a good back up for technology. Of course if you do get in a pickle, please just give us a call and we are happy to give directions over the phone. Thanks for your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for 2 nights and what a wonderful stay it was!! We chose the feature queen double room and it was absolutely lovely. Nice relaxing decor, very stylish with a bit of a home feel to it. Had everything you could possibly need in the room or available from the reception. All the staff were very nice, helpful and always greeted us with a smile which was very nice and refreshing as now a days a lot of hotels seem to be lacking in good customer service. So 5 stars to Haringtons! I must mention the breakfast which was also super tasty. Literally the only thing I would say is maybe increase the salmon amount served with the posh nosh breakfast from 1 to 2 as it seemed a bit of a small amount for the amount of eggs. But merely a suggestion and can't stress enough that all the breakfast options we had were delicious ( regardless of the salmon amount hehe) This was our first stay but we will definitely return soon enough. Thank you for a lovely stay in Bath, look forward to staying with you again!

1 Thank South098
sullyBath, Owner at Harington's City Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your kind words. We are always changing the breakfast menu here at Harington's. We try to source as much of our breakfast ingredients as possible from local sources. Our eggs are free range and come from a farm only 6 miles away. Our bacon and sausage comes from our local butcher just down the road, and most of his meat comes from farms within a 50 mile radius.

We have greatly increased our Gluten Free options. We now offer Gluten Free Sausages, Pancakes, porridge, bread, we even offer our guests gluten free biscuits for their room. So if a guest does have a dietary requirement please let us know prior to your visit and we are happy to do as much as we can to accommodate your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Harington's in the not too distant future.