“The friendliness of a B&B with the privacy of a hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Apsley House Hotel

Apsley House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
“The friendliness of a B&B with the privacy of a hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the garden room for three nights. The bath was incredible, so deep and long you can easily fit two people in! The service was friendly but also discreet. Breakfast was slightly variable. It seemed to go down hill a bit on our last day when the cook changed. However there was always a good choice of cereals and fresh fruit. The room and hotel were clean and not at all tired looking which you sometimes find with classic hotels.
Our only small criticism would be that the bedroom seemed to attract woodlice! Not a huge problem but we counted 20 at one point so be warned if you stay at this time of year. Also, at breakfast the door straight into the kitchen is left open so you can hear your order being discussed which is a little uncomfortable.
The hotel is a 30 minute pleasant walk from town or a £7-£8 taxi ride.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

Good location (a short walk into town) with parking and excellent, friendly staff. Hearty breakfast you would expect at these rates. Any quibbles? Bed very firm (Champagne Room) but that's about it. A good choice if you are visiting Bath but don't want to be right in the centre.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter N
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

This hotel is about a 20-25 min walk from the centre of Bath. It is a wonderful building and each of the individual rooms have been very well set out. The staff are extremely helpful gave some spot-on recommendations for eating out.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

one big plus in bath you can park at this hotel which we did and walked into bath which was a good 30min stride.when we arrived a very nice lady greeted us and gave us a map showing us how to get to the centre either straight down the road or the more scenic route which showed off the lovely buildings with a walk through the park.our room was at the top of the house and we found it quiet, it was very clean with a superb bathroom.breakfast was good, everything you could want and enough of it and we were asked if we wanted more.

Room Tip: if you dont like stairs go for the first floor rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Recently stayed here and like most of the other reviews we had a fab time. Our room was really quiet especially for a city hotel, although it is outside the city centre and it was about 20mins walk the short way, but a slightly longer walk via the royal crescent and park was lovely on the way back. we did take a taxi in the evening as my partner had heels on! (£7.50) but as ther is fre parking at the hotel and the rates were slightly less than other hotels i had reserched in center it balanced out. Breakfast was really good and cooked to order with a daily special which I had - eggs benedict and my partner had the full english and together with toast, croissants and all the cereals, fruits, greek yogurts etc from the buffet thee was more than you could eat! The best thing is the relaxed atmosphere - like home but not home - a real treat away!

Room Tip: Stay midweek for special offers - we got a really good deal from their website.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

We stayed here for two nights in April, staying in 'Waterloo' room. Although advertised as one of the 'cheaper' rooms, it had everything that we needed. The room was large with a huge bed. The en suite bathroom had a slipper bath with separate shower cubicle. Breakfasts are a choice of self serve cereals, fruit and fruit juices before being served with tea / coffee and cooked items (from a menu) at the table. The cooked breakfasts were lovely, clearly quality ingredients instead of the cheap flavourless bacon and sausages that can sometimes be experienced.

We had a lovely time at Apsley House and would stay here again if visiting Bath.

Room Tip: Waterloo is a lovely room, but up two flights of stairs so would not recommend for those less mobile...
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

Anyone looking to stay at this hotel really needs to read these words of caution. Having read the reviews here on Trip Advisor, I expected a fantastic get away and unfortunately this place falls short...really, REALLY short!!

Firstly though, the positives.

The place itself is simply gorgeous. There's no denying the beauty of this well-kept and quite frankly awe-inspiring hotel. The rooms are also quite remarkable with one of the most comfortable beds I've (not)slept in, in a long time. Praise also needs to be given to the staff. Upon arrival we were greeted by two very pleasant staff members at the front desk. One of the members of staff was an exceptionally amiable young foreign lad who genuinely seemed to want to do everything he could for us. It would not have surprised me had I later found him waiting in the bedroom to read us a bedtime story and to tuck us into bed with a glass of warm milk, such was his passion to please.

We read on the reviews that the hotel was situated about half an hours walk from Bath City Centre. Having visited Bath previously and been taken aback by the sheer beauty of this lovely city, we figured it would be a nice half an hour walk where we could appreciate the wonderful aesthetics Bath has to offer. On the plus side, we found that the walk was actually closer to 20-25 minutes. On the down side, we also discovered Bath has an ugly side. The walk from the hotel was certainly not what we would have expected in Bath, and the walk into town was far from the picturesque Bath we'd experienced on our previous visit to this historic town. Needless to say all other journeys were done by taxi, which at around £7.50 - £8.00 a time really can mount up!

However that was far from the worst thing about this hotel. One thing I must really stress is: DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL IF YOU WANT/NEED SLEEP!!! Please re-read that sentence as this will make or break your potential enjoyment of your stay at Apsley House Hotel. Again, I must also stress this point, YOU CAN HEAR EVERYTHING!!!

When we arrived back at the hotel after a wonderful night out in Bath, we really looked forward to a nice nights rest - little did we realise at that point we were not going to get any sleep during our stay here, not any sleep at all!!! As soon as we relaxed onto the previous-mentioned phenomenally comfortable bed, all of this hotel flaws sprung to life as if someone had pressed an "on" switch.

First of all was the amorous couple in the bedroom next door. I'm going to assume a night on the tiles in some of Baths wonderful pubs had allowed them to lose any and all inhibitions, and to be honest, who can blame them. However this really isn't my entertainment of choice when trying to get some well earned rest and I really could have done without it. At one point I felt like asking them to join us in our room and save them the price of their room as it frankly felt like they were with us anyway!!!

Next up was the constant succession of incredibly(!!!!!!!) noisy toilet flushes that went on continuously throughout the night. I can only guess that the other rooms in the hotel have macerator toilets. All throughout the night, all we heard was the noises of other guest walking across the ridiculously noisy floorboards and then what sounded like people trying to liquidize gravel - anyone who has had the misfortune of hearing these toilets will know exactly the sound I mean, and its far from quiet!!!

Perhaps, we'd booked the same weekend as a convention for people with bladder or bowel issues or maybe the other guests had enjoyed a little too much to drink during their Saturday night out, but the use of the toilets was relentless, when one stopped, it was mere minutes before the next one started. In all honestly, it just sounded like people were constantly moving furniture the entire night.

The final thing we were treated to whilst trying to get some beauty sleep was the incessant snoring of the amorous couple, who having finished enjoying themselves, and the lady practicing gargling(??) had managed to get a bit of sleep. That said, the snoring was on/off throughout the night. I can only assume, like us, they were also being disturbed by the hotels noises too as a could hear them talking between doing their impressions of a pair of angry bears!!

Needless to say by the time morning came, I wasn't particularly happy. Feeling like the walking dead, we went to the complimentary breakfast downstairs and to be honest, a number of guests looked as knackered as I felt, which if I'm honest, made me feel slightly better!!

Having read the reviews giving the breakfast at Apsley House particularly good feedback, I decided to look on the bright side and focus on what I was hoping would make up for the disastrous nights sleep. I ordered the full English breakfast, and whilst the taste was OK (not particularly great!), what I got seemed like a sample platter - hardly the breakfast I hoped for.

There was a few sautéed mushrooms, one small sausage, two minimum-sized pieces of bacon and some scrambled eggs made from 2 eggs - hardly the breakfast I was expecting from a hotel at this price and, call me glutenous, I prefer to see more breakfast on my plate then the plate itself! My partner came off even worse as she opted for the scrambled eggs and Salmon which was unbelievably meagre in it's portion size, I even ended up offering some of my slim pickings to her to make sure she actually felt like she'd had a breakfast. Oh, and we were allowed a single slice of toast each.

All in all, theres nothing I can recommend about this hotel. Though the staff were great, many other better hotels have that AND you can sleep also. This place is not worth the money, and certainly not worth anyone's time. Maybe with a considerable amount of sound-proofing and loosening of the purse strings when it comes to breakfast I'd be able to overlook the terrible location, but based on my horrendous experience I would never give this place a second chance unfortunately.

37 Thank Stuart R