“Very good hotel, not suitable for disabled people in my opinion”
Review of Apsley House Hotel

Apsley House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I had booked this hotel – The Wellington Room for New Years Eve night and New Years day night at the rate of £170 per night when the usual rate is £95 – this was ok given the time of year.

We arrived in Bath and went straight to the Royal Cresent Hotel for our Spa appointments which I had booked. The Spa here is small and cosy and feels exclusive.

We opted for the:

THE BATH HOUSE TREATMENT
1hour 55 minutes £85

The Bath House signature treatment offers a coordinated treatment which combines many of the spa s special features and is highly recommended for guests visiting the spa for the first time.

The Bath House Treatment takes you through a sequence of bathing, cleansing and body exfoliation. The first 45 minutes is divided between visits to the wet and dry heat Karahafus (steam and sauna), relaxation in the teak–lined tubs and a full body sea salt and essential oil exfoliation. This is followed by a full body massage using one of our unique personally blended Bath House oils.

It was exactly as described and well worth the money.

After the treatment we then went to check in to Apsley House Hotel and were met by Duncan who graciously welcomed us and told us about the local tourist attractions upon check and then delivered our bags to our room which was the Welling ton room. The room was very large with high ceilings. I was a bit disappointed with the cushions and bed spread as they didn’t look like they were washed as part of the laundry process but I easily moved them away to reveal a very large comfortable and clean bed. One must remember that this is an old building and the rooms are in character and not modern contemporary. The bathrooms however are contemporary with large slipper baths. I wouldn’t recommend the Wellington room for disabled people as it is on the first floor and the bath room is in my opinion a little bit congested with the sink, bath, loo and shower cubicle. I couldn’t get into the slipper bath as it is quite a high large bath as I wear artificial legs and its quite a large, high bath. The large ceramic floor tiles are also very slippery when wet. There is however a shower cubicle in the room.

Dinner for New Years Eve night was at the amazing Italian Café Martini’s – please see my review on Trip Advisor for this restarant if you are an Italian food fan.

After returning from dinner my wife and I went into the communal lounge where there is an honesty bar where you can get a drink and record yourself what you had so it can be appropriately charged. I played the piano in the room and my wife sat by a roaring log fire – picturesque and cheesy yes, but true! It was at this point that Duncan came in for a chat and I asked him if Apsley House was haunted – and indeed it was. By an old man opening the main glass door near reception, a few cats and a couple of howling dogs, not to mention the young girl and things moving in the Wellington Room !!! – my fault for asking. We slept the first night amazingly well, but not so the second due to us feeling a presence! More like paranoia!

Breakfast the next morning was delightful and I had two soft boiled eggs with soldiers which was served in two silver egg cups.

The next day was spent at Cheddar Gorge – lovely caves and a good active day out.

Overall the hotel is lovely if you like character and quality but I wouldn’t recommend it for disabled people.

1  Thank Rehan07860

Reviewed 4 January 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in the Wellington room which at £165 per night is the most expensive...but extremely spacious and with great views. We were looked after faultlessly by the owners - a genuinely friendly reception, help with luggage to our room and recommendations about what to do in Bath. Our bed was huge and comfortable; bathroom looked like it was brand new - a bit cold since it was heated by 2 towel rails only - maybe to be expected since the weather was unusually cold.
Lovely sitting room and honesty bar. Breakfast service was prompt and friendly, with lots of choice and quality ingredients. Juice was not freshly squeezed.
Location - a bit out of town but that means it's quiet....and it's only a 20 mins walk, £2 bus ride or £7 taxi into the centre. Hop Pole pub 1/2 a mile towards town is excellent.

1  Thank RutlandUkRob
Reviewed 20 December 2010

My partner and I chose Apsley House as an early Christmas break - and it turned out to be the best thing we did!
Everything at Apsley House oozes charm and class - we stayed in the Romantic Room - an ideal choice! Would definately recomend anyone to stay here - we are already planning our return visit - Thank you Apsley House for making our christmas one to remember - even arranging for snow to fall overnight lol xx

1  Thank RJH1976
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We stayed 3 nights travelling as a group of four for a Christmas break in Bath. We were all very impressed with our stay at Apsley House Hotel. We appreciated the wonderful Christmas tree decorated in the Entrance Hall. The hotel was warm and welcolming, our rooms were very tasteful and comfortable.It was wonderful to sit in the comfortable elegant lounge reding the papers by the fire.The breakfasts were first class providing a great variety of fresh fruit and cooked choices. We all felt great effort was put into the cooking and serving. Both of the hosts were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. I would definately recommend a stay at this hotel, we would love to return!

1  Thank TollyD
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Running a B&B ourselves, we know how hard it is to maintain standards and operate at this level, and Apsley House is a perfect example of how things should be done. Beautiful room with joriginal antique furniture as well as well thought out facilities. Breakfast was superb with perfect poached eggs (thanks for the tips), fresh fruits and welcoming staff.
All in all the perfect night away for us and one which we hope to repeat next year.
Thankyou and well done for running such a wonderful and successful business. You deserve all the accolades.

1  Thank JaneAtTheGeorge
Reviewed 12 December 2010

I consider that I am an experienced traveller and have stayed at many hotels both large chain hotels and the smaller ones too.
On this occasion I travelled with my sister to Bath for a girlie Christmas shopping weekend. The last time I visited Bath was twenty years ago. Seeing Bath again was just great. It is a beautiful city and reminds me a lot of Paris.
We attenfef the Christmas Market which is well worth a visist. There is also even a shop called 25th December!
We arrived at Apsley Hotel during early afternoon and we were greeted with a very warm welcome. The atmosphere and furnishings of the hotel were cosy, classy and fitted in with the type of hotel build.
My sister and I stayed in the Champayne room of which had a lovely king sized four poster bed and shower room. The bathroom was nice and modren with toiletries supplied. The bedroom was cosy and very pretty with a wall mouted flat screen TV. There is tea and coffee making facilities in the room. There is also a detailed welcome book that gives you all the information on the hotel, city of Bath and what Bath has to offer. You can even purchase a take-away and have it in your room. Napkins, plates and cutlery can be supplied if you ask at reception.
The day lounge and bar is beautiful with floor to ceiling windows with beautiful views of the gardens. The hotel is about a 20-30 minute walk from the city centre. A taxi will cost you about 8 pounds. My sister and I enjoyed the walk each morning after breakfast to the city.
The breakfasts are the best ever. There is the usual fruit juices and cereals as well as fresh fruit such as melon, blueberries, strawberries, grapefruit, prunes and pineapple. Tea or coffee.
Then you have a choice of porridge made to order even with a hint of whiskey if you want it!
Then you can have a full english breakfast which consisted of two eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, grilled rosemary tomato and two fried eggs. Eggs are to order so you can have poached , scrambeld or fried. Another option is a poached egg on muffin with crispy bacon, chefs special or scrambled egg with smoked salmon. I opted for the scrambled egg and smoked salmon which was just delicious!
If you prefer to have a bath opposed to a shower then the Romantic room may be your choice.
I plan to come here again next year.
IT is one of the best hotels that I have experienced.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank fudge
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Stayed in e "Peninsular" Room with King-size Bed and En-suite Bath and Shower for 3 nights. E whole place was very warm n cozy, makes u feel really at home.

Location - wld b great if u had a car, it's in a quiet neighbourhood not near city centre. U cld grab a cab / bus if u don't have a car.

Room - lovely decor, very spacious.

Others - lovely view of Bath's residential area from e breakfast room. Breakfast was great, we looked forward to the meal every day! Service was great, the hosts provided lots of advise when we asked & they were very polite. U cld feel that they were trying to make u feel at home.

I will definitely return if I'm back in Bath in the future.

• Stayed: December 2010