Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Mje2014
London, United Kingdom
Good location
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 3 Sept 2016
Very tired hotel but the owner/manager was very friendly.
Hotel all needs redecorating, updating and new windows. We were on a street level room and woken at 1am until 3am with people singing etc as they went passed, obviously not a fault of hotel but maybe if double glazed it would be better.
Breakfast was a basic continental breakfast although not a great choice.

In all the hotel needs a lot of love despite being in a great location but not worth £120 a night for a twin room!
Date of stay: August 2016Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    £272
0.6 miles from Parade Park Town House Bed & Breakfast
Pool
View more hotels in Bath
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 August 2016

Admittedly I was incredibly nervous about taking my wife here for our 1 year anniversary. I had booked through a service which rated the hotel a lot more highly than that of Trip Advisor, and stupidly I didn't read the reviews until the night before we left.

Upon arrival we were greeted by who I assume was the owner/manager who was friendly and helpful regarding the nearest parking facilities. (This would be Manvers Street which cost me £25 for our 48 hour stay). The younger lad on reception was very friendly, polite and professional with all information regarding the hotel and its facilities.

The hotel itself is a little dated. Not in a quirky or historical way either. It's just dated. Simple as that. But it looked clean and tidy, and I wasn't expecting 5 star decor from a 2 star hotel anyway.

Key retrieved, we headed up the many stairs to our top floor room, (number 20) with en suite facilities. It's to the rear of the building which was a little disappointing as I would have liked to have been able to see the views from the front. As others have said, building work is currently being undertaken to the rear of the property, but this is not the fault of the hotel and is of no inconvenience to guests. Aside from that, it was still a nice look into an entirely closed square of Georgian town houses with their large chimney tops rising into the skyline.
The first thing to note about the room was the incredible heat harboured within. At first I thought I'd ventured onto the surface of the sun, but quickly realised that I was still breathing and has a pulse... I can honestly say that the only room I have been in that was hotter, is a sauna. Opening the window was my first thought, but it was already open...balls. Never mind, we weren't planning on staying in all day. The room was clean enough with a tidy bed, a kettle with tea and coffee, a shower, toilet, and even hot AND cold running water! (Fancy I hear you cry ;) ). There was also a small closet with hangers, which was enough for the few items we'd brought.
Yes the room was small, but I had booked a "Small Room with Double Bed" so what should I have expected?

I left the window open in the hopes of reducing the temperature to something more inline with the surface of Mercury, and we went into town for an adventure. We returned at around 10pm to find that Mercury was still a few million miles away so I had a cold shower before jumping onto the bed. No quilt was needed.

I slept soundly until around 5am when I was rudely awakened by 32,000 seagulls having a morning rave on the rooftops. Normally I could sleep through a hurricane, but their incessant screaming was enough to wake the dead. So I rose to shut the window and suffer the inferno instead. Unfortunately, the window didn't make a blind bit of difference to the noise. I buried my head into the pillow and eventually drifted into slumber for another couple of hours, waking only because I was drowning in my own bodily fluids...

Breakfast was...OK. Don't expect a fry up though. The only things they cook themselves are boiled eggs which are laid out in a rack for you to pick as you please.
It's toast, eggs, ham, salami, cheese, butter or spread, cereals, tea, coffee, juice, yoghurt and fruit, honey, marmite, and muffins. I'm sure the list is fairly accurate but I'm happy to be corrected.

Seriously though, the hotel was FINE. Nothing special, nothing awful. The staff were pleasant and it was kept clean during my stay.
I'm not blaming the hotel for the view, the construction work, or the seagulls. Aside from installing air conditioning, I wouldn't think there's a lot they can do about the incinerators either.

Take this review with a pinch of salt. Bath is an expensive place and I went during August bank holiday. The price for the room was HIGH for what it was, but i guess it's par for the course given the location and time of year.

A few NOTES:
1. If you book a room with "Shared Facilites", you should expect just that very thing. 2. The bar downstairs closed at 10:30pm. It was NOT a "Night Club" open until 5am.

Stop complaining, leave the hotel, and experience the rest of the beautiful city.

Room tip: The top floor is super heated uranium: AVOID
2  Thank Thomas H
Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

The location of this hotel is great. It's really close to the station and you are very near the roman baths and the abbey. This isn't a new building and the decor does seem a little tired in places, but it is clean and our room was a very good size. I would prefer to stay in this type of building, which has some character, as opposed to somewhere modern and soulless. We had a nice view of the park but because the building is not new they have single glazed sash windows which mean you do hear some noise from the bars at night. It didn't overly bother us but if concerned I would ask for a room at the rear rather than by the road.
The manager was friendly and helpful and the hotel bar is pleasant enough and drinks were equivalent in price to other bars in the area.
I think breakfast could have been improved with some croissants and better bread, there was only a choice of white and brown sliced bread and it seemed to be a fairly low quality type. Staff are friendly and very helpful.
Overall a good hotel, but not amazing, however this is reflected in the price and does all you need it to for a weekend away.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2016

The location of this hotel is great. You are very central, and a 2 minute walk to Bath Abbey/ Roman Baths. We could see the Abbey from our room. After reading some of the comments on here, we were pleasantly surprised. Our room was spacious (we were upgraded), the bathroom was clean and the rooms were cleaned everyday and we were given fresh towels each day. The paper bath mats are a bit useless really, probably better to have actual bath mats. We stayed in August so it was warm, and the room could get quite hot, understandable that the hotel does not have air conditioning as it is an old building, however it might be useful to have fans to give to guests during the summer months.

There is a continental breakfast which is good, variety of cereals, toast, ham, eggs, bread, yogurt, fruit, hot drinks and juices. They should consider maybe including pastries though? The staff in the breakfast room are very friendly and ask if you would like a tea or coffee when you first come in which is a nice touch. I thought the breakfast room was lovely, very spacious, and has two rooms with a view of Bath Abbey.

When we arrived we were quite early and our room was not ready, however the staff were very helpful and let us leave our luggage with them in reception, whilst we explored the city. They also gave us a very useful map! If you want a hairdryer-ask for it when you check in.

Train station is a 5 minute walk-straight road up then turn right. Very good restaurant two doors away from the hotel as well!

I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a clean, basic hotel with a good location.

2  Thank Em2449
Reviewed 18 August 2016

I was due to stay in this B&B a few weeks ago, when we arrived our room wasn't ready but we thought we'd try our luck and see if we could check in before 3pm. As the room wasn't ready, we decided to explore Bath for a few hours before returning again to check in. Before we left, I decided to use the toilets within the bar. It was 12.30pm and the toilets looked like they hadn't been cleaned from the previous night's antics with sick round the rim of one of the toilets and excrement around the next. Not clean or pleasant which made me anxious about what I might find when we got to our room.

When we returned at 3pm, we were given our key and walked up several flights of stairs. We opened the room of our door to be confronted with a musty smelling, out-dated, grotty room, The room was very dark as our window was 2 inches away from a brick wall (windows were also covered in a thick layer of dirt). The bed seemed to sink in the middle as well which would not have made a comfortable night's sleep.

The shared facilities were not great either, with a door that didn't lock properly making you feel on edge that anyone could burst in at any moment. My partner and I did not fancy using the ropey looking shower so cut our losses and made the 3 hour journey back home with no sort of refund offered by the hotel!

Very difficult to park if taking a car, local cricket club car park £16 a day but hard to get a space.

Avoid.

Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

Good location very central probably good value for bath needs updating definetley disappoint as boyfriends brother booked us a single room instead of double unclean only stayed one night instead of two my birthday ruined :( wouldn't return no toilet or shower in room was on a different floor despite advertising en suite rooms outside the view from our room was a building site as seen In pictures up several flights of stairs continental breakfast only bath is a lovely place however

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple