“Disappointing”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Gabriels Restaurant at Bailbrook House Hotel
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Lovely decor and feel to this venue, but ordered the afternoon tea, savoury and sweet at 21.95 each. Meagre portion, and underwhelmed by flavour and quality of the savoury, sweet choice was also disappointing in freshness. Scones were dry and hard. Cakes were tasteless, and all in all poor value for what was supposed to be a treat.

Reviewed 15 July 2011

Dinner
The restaurant at the Bailbrook House Hotel services the hotel's main guests; bus tours, conventions and seminars. This is no place for an intimate dinner for two. It is also the same room they use for the breakfast buffet. The only addition is linen napkins versus the four inch cocktail napkins they give you at breakfast. Our dinner began with seating at a table for two in the same room as a bus tour with 40 plus people at two long tables eating from a buffet and a convention meeting group of 20 ordering from the menu. The noise was pretty bad and adding to this was piped in music that varied from heavy metal rock to oldies. The menu looked good which is the primary reason, along with being tired after a day out , that we tried the hotel restaurant. We ordered the rustic bread plate with raisin olive oil for dipping and parma ham for, well I not sure what that was for. After a 30 minute wait we received three stale poppy seed rolls that had been cut in half, a large pile of thinly cut ham, some infused olive oil and some mixed olives. The oil and ham were nice. The rolls we stale and sad. We longed for the "rustic" bread that apparently was not really coming. I ordered the chicken livers in sauce with pomegranite and pancetta. Another half an hour passed and out came the second plates. Excellent flavors and texture in the livers and the sauce. A good choice. My wife had the goat cheese in philo which was also very tasty. For entre I chose the lamb chops and the wife the grilled salmon skewers. My dinner arrived and was unidentifiable. A very thin, flat piece meat with multiple bones cooked well done nestled on a puddle of seemingly box made mashed potatoes, some wilted spinich all covered in a brown gravy. I waved over the waitress and asked her to explain. This is how lambchops look in the UK I was told. Hmmmmm. Bascially this was a blade cut chop, (didn't know there was such a thing in lamb), 1/4 inch thick and cooked to the consistency of shoe leather. Three bites and the rest bone. Truely aweful. The grilled salmon skewers were slightly beter but doused with a very sweet sauce that made them less than palatable. At this point we decided to be happy with the appetisers and rolls and leave. I waived for the check and the waitress sai she would get it right to me. She then took three orders, bused tables and delivered food while we sat. I finally asked for a manager told him of the bad meal and two hour wait. He aid, "sorry" and gave me the check.

Pass on this place for dinner. Much, much better places throughout Bath including basic takeway pizza.

Breakfast
Full english breakfast buffet. Good reasonable food, coffee or tea, fruit, cereal eggs etc. They will also cook to order. Average but came with the room.

2  Thank CWS55