“Not as bad as its painted!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Stratford upon Avon UK
“Not as bad as its painted!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

I was expecting a horror story from the previous reviews, but to be honet, it wasn't bad. Very reasonable in a beautiful and expensive city. OK a bit tired in places and the bed was lumpy, but it was perfectly adequate for a couple of nights. Do believe all you read.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Dorset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

If you are looking for a romantic weekend break then don't book the redcar. If you are planning a night out with friends (we were on a cricket tour) then this is ideal. The decor is in urgent need of updating and the rooms are tired and need money spent on them. However, It is alot cheaper than most hotels in Bath and located right in the heart of the city which makes it perfect for group bookings. As it is in the centre of the city the road outside can get noisy and you'll need the window open because the room was boiling!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sains
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

Yes, its one of those back packer hotels which make you pay upfront, but for the cheap price, that close to the city centre we aren't complaining.
Didn't get bed bugs, room clean enough and being in an old Georgian building the common rooms were high ceilinged and elegant and the leather chairs were huge and comfy.
The two guys we saw during our one night stay there tried their very best to accomodate our motor bikes in the car park and even restocked the bar for us (party of 10) A lot of negative trip advisor reviews but I repeat, you get what you pay for, so why complain!! Would definitely go back, perfectly ok for such a cheap hotel right in the centre.
If people want 5 star then it is not the place to go, but for a cheap conveniently situated hotel for a couple of nights it is fine, and we got to have breakfast at the pump rooms, what more can you ask for.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank bris217
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

The fact that this hotel even remains in business following so many negative reviews is a mystery to me. We booked two nights here, and upon check-in were so disgusted with the room -- not to mention the front desk clerk's attitude when we presented our concerns -- that we left and checked into a much nicer property across the street. Save yourself some time, money, and headache... stay elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Lee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Slept on the floor in my mate's single room on what seemed to be allibaba's magic rug. Couldn't stay in my room because it was the room of doom. Was getting a tan It was that hot and having a shower felt like I was a Piece of kababmeat under what seemed to be a watering can. Also the bed sheets had a weird sort of musky smell that reminded me of an old retro cloths shop.

On the plus side they had plenty of stickers that said "mind your head" which was good for me and sat in the most comfiest chair I have ever sat in.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

We also booked the Redcar thinking we would ignore the reviews and could overlook some discomfort for a brief trip. This was a massive error. I'm writing this review after a couple of months cooling off to reflect, but I would seriously not risk ruining your trip by staying at this hotel.

It's not just the shabby, dirty rooms, but also the aggressive attitude of the staff that made us not want to return to the hotel at the end of the evening. We were called liars and had an argument with the receptionist before we'd even been given the keys to our room. The drains were blocked and gargled throughout the night. The room was damp and the staff were running and slamming doors in the early hours of the morning with no concern for the guests. You have no option to complain, as in the words of a member of staff there "it's your word against mine so who knows who's telling the truth".

I have no problem staying in budget hotels and don't have enormously high expectation levels - just a clean room and pleasant staff. Bath is obviously a popular and quite expensive place to stay, which is no doubt the only reason this hotel is still running. Too many people have obviously been fooled into staying here and I would strongly recommend anyone going to Bath to look for alternative B&Bs available in a similar price bracket, or spend a little more money to ensure a pleasant stay at another hotel. If there was time and space elsewhere we would have walked straight out having encountered the very rude and aggressive staff.

Only (and I mean only) suitable for stag parties as an alternative to a gutter or a police cell at the end of an evening.

Room Tip: Rooms down the street at an alternative B&B, or anywhere else in Bath, would ensure a pleasant s...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Porthleven, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Having returned and read the reviews I can only endorse all I have read ! I`d booked and my husband read them and warned me before going ! Thinking well nowhere can be that bad I went ahead with my two nights. As a single woman I can honestly say I felt more than a little uncomfortable that I saw only one member of staff on at any one time. It may seem funny but I had to use my jelly sweets ( which I love ) to push into the window gaps to stop the windows from shaking and waking me up at night , the bed was the worse bed I`ve EVER slept in feeling every huge metal spring ( I dare not think how old they were ).There were smears on the walls in the corrridors and general maintanence was lacking . For fifty five pounds WITHOUT BREAKFAST was far too much. I`ve learned my lesson , I`ll listen to my husband next time !!!!
ONE BIT OF ADVICE DONT GO THERE !

Room Tip: DONT GO THERE, try the basement
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo