“Bazil Faulty had better manners!”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Our stay was booked via booking.com. I did it in a hurry, and didn't realise it was to secure the booking only. I thought the payment had been taken in advance. When we arrived, this thing behind the reception desk, who looked like he had slept in this shirt for the past five days, took great delight in being rude to us. Knowing full well, if we decided to leave, my card would be debited. Hense paying twice if we found somewhere else. He also had the added advantage of having a cctv camera on him. So he knew he could go as far as he wanted, rudeness wise. My room, which was very small was not too bad. The shower was warm that afternoon, but very cold the following morning. The main light didn't work after a few hours, so had to rely on the bedside lamp. The tv (freeview) had not been re-tuned, so I couldn't watch it! My travel companions room, was very bad. Holes in walls, tv not working at all. If it did, he would not be able to watch it anyway! There were loads of marks on the paintwork, which made the rooms feel grubby. There was a notice on the front door, stating it would be locked after 10pm! Although we did not like this idea, which made us rush around, we did not fancy having a round two with some other employee later in the evening. We got back with minutes to spare, only to find this was not the case. A really nice Poss Russian guy was behind the desk. He had only been in the job a few days. Would have been helpful to take the notice off the front door! We had a few drinks at the bar, and spoke of what had gone on earlier that day. He did not seem surprised at what we said. You have to ignore the comments on this page, with regard to the Hotel being central. Spend the extra few pounds and stay in a proper hotel/guest house. Being central to Bath is not a good thing, as far as this Hotel is concerned. I have sent a complaint to Booking.com about this hotel, and suggested they should not allow people to book via their site for it. I don't reccommend anyone book a single room in this place, I would not keep a goat in it!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 October 2012

I booked through booking.com and was led to believe this was a decent hotel. Location is the only good thing about this place and even that isn't amazing. Tiny, scruffy room with very cheap bed (you know those £99 ones you may've had in a student house once?) Upon our return to the hotel after dinner, we asked a very folorn looking receptionist if we could perhaps have a drink from the bar. His response was "I have temperature 34 degrees. I am here for only giving out keys. No drinks." WOW!! He put his headphones back on and continued playing a computer game at his desk. What an ARS*!!

I felt sorry for one woman working there who helped me with an iron and ironing board. She seemed to do all the running around while the men sat there doing nothing.

Don't ever stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here with another couple - we wanted a cheap place in central Bath and we found it.
The positives:
Very central and easy to get to everywhere
Clean sheets
Toilet and bath were clean
Shower had good pressure
They let us leave our bags when we arrived early and after we had checked out
The negatives:
Bed base stained, dirty blanket, stained carpets, dirty marks on the walls, you do hear a bit of noise from other people - talking, doors shutting etc, the beds were very hard.
One of the staff members was nice enough if a bit indifferent; the other appeared somewhat ruder.
Our friend's room was quite small compared to our room and only had a shower cubicle
When we were looking for somewhere to stay we found that a lot of places in Bath have a minimum of 2 night stay over the weekend but we only wanted 1 night - the Redcar allowed this. It was expensive for what it was at £76/night and I think I would spend the extra money next time
Would we stay here again? No,
Would I recommend it? Not really, but if you have low expectations and don't care for one night then maybe it will be ok for you...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2012

unfriendly receptionist who didn't seem happy to see us! we were told the main hotel doors would be locked at midnight & not opened until 6am so we had a curfew! the floorbeds were creaky & so were the beds. I would not rate this hotel at all no stars would be more appropriate

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2012

This hotel is to be avoided at all costs. Our room had greasy hand prints and finger marks on the paintwork of the bedroom walls; some were brown and could have been excrement or blood. The toilet and bathroom was not clean. The tatty bed had stains on the side and looked as if it had been very likely scavenged from a skip. There were clean sheets on the bed and 2 towels but the over blanket had stains and sticky marks on it. When we complained to the manager and showed him the room he more or less said 'what do you expect for a budget hotel?' Because of the hotel's cancelation policy we lost out - but after five minutes in that room we handed in the key and left. We would have slept on a park bench rather than that flea-pit. Happily we found a much nicer hotel. Avoid the Recar Hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't consider it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MickM312
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Arrived at the hotel & was greeted by an extremely rude man standing at the counter. I said we had booked a triple room and he persisted to say they dont have triple rooms it was a family room- mind you there was a double bed and a single bed rammed against the wall. Not sure how a family of three or more would fit. He took our payment immediately and charged us an additional £10 for the parking, and later we found a dint in our Alpha Romeo which we believe occured in the tightly squeezed car park behind the hotel by a third party. NOT HAPPY.

The man at the counter pointed to the stairs where we struggled to take all our bags up. The carpet was disgustingly dirty and stained and not fitted properly with rolls that could have easily tripped somebody up. We entered the room and it was horrid. Both the single and the double bed had metal coils poking out from the mattress and in the morning myself and other counterparts felt like we had bruises on our body when we woke up. The toilet was filthy with limescale all over it and the shower and bathroom had mold throughout. the lighting was appalling- with the biggest light on and all the lamps the room was still soo dark. Each time I rolled over the metal on the bed made the loudest sound. The windows were mouldy and old with mildew all over them and the room smelt damp and unclean. The TV was smaller than the laptop I had brought with me and the hot towel rail in the bathroom was broken.

When we checked out it was another man at the counter however he was also extremely rude and strange and didnt bother to ask how our stay was or have a pleasant onward journey.

This is by far the worst place I have ever stayed. Location was decent., however would recommend spending a few more pounds on something which would be 1000% better.

Paper thin walls meant we heard a lady above having sex several time throughout the night and together with the metal in our backs made for little sleep.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank jmheilbronn
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Stayed here as meeting friends who booked this for us, was dreading it slightly as mixed reviews on TA! Should have listened to our gut.

First the good points.

Location, a mere 5 minutes walk to the abbey and town centre over the river.
The room was relatively clean.

Now the not so good points.

The car park or as we called - the walled space with 15 cars crammed in and no room to swing a small furry animal! And it costs £10 entry fee to cram your car in.
The staff - Helpful but odd and a very odd sense of fashion style.
The stair cases. A total wipeoutesque assault course through more doors with industrial strength door closures than is really necessary. No lift, no offer of help with bags up 4 flights of stairs, less able guests would struggle.
The bathroom, the light switch outside was only there to fool you! The real one is a light pull with 30 years of grime half way down the wall inside!
The tv or as I thought - wow they have given us an iPad to use - no it's the world smallest flat screen tv.
The receptionist made us pay upfront clearly fearing a swift exit once we saw the rest of the hotel!
He said "breakfast not included in your rate" we said " thank goodness".
The bed, it made the most hilarious carry on style noise when sat on. Only one pillow each and a very thin blanket.
Bathroom, when we first got in the room the hot tap in the basin was on full and the bathroom full of steam, the shower curtain was old. Sadly (!) we had to leave early and didn't sample the shower.

There is nothing wrong with the place that £2m overhaul, some staff training and an agreement with the next door garage to borrow parking spaces at the weekend wouldn't put right.

We won't be returning.