“Good value for money - Unfair reviews”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #30 of 31 Hotels in Bath
“Good value for money - Unfair reviews”
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

We were totally dreading our stay having read the reviews. I can't believe how ridiculous some people's comments were!! This hotel is in an excellent location, fantastic price & the staff were no problem. The decor may have been dated but I cannot see why that is an issue or just cause to rate it so low. You get what you pay for, this place pays tribute to the phrase "cheap and cheerful" - we would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We sent an email to Redcar hotel to book a room and were offered a room. When we arrived we were told that they were fully booked and that there was nothing he could do about it. The man at the reception desk was incredibly rude and treated us like dirt. We are glad we couldn't get a room here, because we found somewhere else with much better reviews and lovely staff. The lady at the hotel next door (Henrietta House) was kind enough to help us with maps and suggestions of places to stay (we would have liked to stay at Henrietta House but couldn't because it was out of our price range, but based on the welcome we received there, I would suggest staying there)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Stupidly i booked this hotel for a wedding i was attending and didn't check trip advisor- a mistake I will never make again.
From the outside Redcar hotel looks lovely and great value for money, unfortunately appearances can be deceiving.

When I initially booked this hotel i paid and extra £10 for parking space, which surprisingly wasn't a reserved space at all. I had to leave my key with the receptionist, who would move car as i had park in front of (what i assume) was another gust car. I wasn't particularly comfortable with this but parking Bath is nightmare as you may know if you have been before, plus when i returned to my now moved car i found my driver sit had been adjusted for whomever moved it (so annoying).

Anyway i digress, as i said before the ''hotel'' appears to be nice, the downstairs area is but dated, the receptionists I met was nice, polite and helpful. As i had arrived early to the hotel i had to change in the toilet for the wedding (which is far, i prefer a clean room). When i did go to my ''hotel'' room i was surprised as it was not what i had expected, for the money i had paid.

The room was very plain and poorly put together with miss matching furniture, the bed looked second hand, and there were marks all over the walls. It was a side room not very big and had a slanted roof, which meant it was difficult to get around the bed.
The room had a v.small dirty window that looked out on to net door wall- lovely, this window did have a blind, however where the wall slanted the blind didn't block any light- so pointless

There were two small ceiling windows directly over the bed with no form of blind or shutter so i was not only woken up by noise but also light.
The bed as previously stated was old but comfortable, the sheets were and there was fresh clean towels. The double bed only had two pillows so i had to use the extra blanket as extra pillow, i know this maybe personal preference but i always say better to have too much than not enough. The bed didn't have a duvet only a sheet, a thin blanket and a topping cover, and being the end of October i was surprised by this, and if had had enough pillows i would of used the other blanket.
The bathroom was clean apart from the soup holder, which looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in months.

There was an electric heater in the room, which heated the room quickly, but i didn't feel comfortable sleeping with it on plus i know they use a lot of energy. I did in the end end up putting it back on as the room got really cold during the night probably due to its location, but then got too hot and has to turn it off again- no win there.

Overall i was very disappointed in this hotel, i think it has lots of potential and location is great but i would NEVER EVER stay there again especially at the price they are currently charging!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Our stay was booked via booking.com. I did it in a hurry, and didn't realise it was to secure the booking only. I thought the payment had been taken in advance. When we arrived, this thing behind the reception desk, who looked like he had slept in this shirt for the past five days, took great delight in being rude to us. Knowing full well, if we decided to leave, my card would be debited. Hense paying twice if we found somewhere else. He also had the added advantage of having a cctv camera on him. So he knew he could go as far as he wanted, rudeness wise. My room, which was very small was not too bad. The shower was warm that afternoon, but very cold the following morning. The main light didn't work after a few hours, so had to rely on the bedside lamp. The tv (freeview) had not been re-tuned, so I couldn't watch it! My travel companions room, was very bad. Holes in walls, tv not working at all. If it did, he would not be able to watch it anyway! There were loads of marks on the paintwork, which made the rooms feel grubby. There was a notice on the front door, stating it would be locked after 10pm! Although we did not like this idea, which made us rush around, we did not fancy having a round two with some other employee later in the evening. We got back with minutes to spare, only to find this was not the case. A really nice Poss Russian guy was behind the desk. He had only been in the job a few days. Would have been helpful to take the notice off the front door! We had a few drinks at the bar, and spoke of what had gone on earlier that day. He did not seem surprised at what we said. You have to ignore the comments on this page, with regard to the Hotel being central. Spend the extra few pounds and stay in a proper hotel/guest house. Being central to Bath is not a good thing, as far as this Hotel is concerned. I have sent a complaint to Booking.com about this hotel, and suggested they should not allow people to book via their site for it. I don't reccommend anyone book a single room in this place, I would not keep a goat in it!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I booked through booking.com and was led to believe this was a decent hotel. Location is the only good thing about this place and even that isn't amazing. Tiny, scruffy room with very cheap bed (you know those £99 ones you may've had in a student house once?) Upon our return to the hotel after dinner, we asked a very folorn looking receptionist if we could perhaps have a drink from the bar. His response was "I have temperature 34 degrees. I am here for only giving out keys. No drinks." WOW!! He put his headphones back on and continued playing a computer game at his desk. What an ARS*!!

I felt sorry for one woman working there who helped me with an iron and ironing board. She seemed to do all the running around while the men sat there doing nothing.

Don't ever stay here.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here with another couple - we wanted a cheap place in central Bath and we found it.
The positives:
Very central and easy to get to everywhere
Clean sheets
Toilet and bath were clean
Shower had good pressure
They let us leave our bags when we arrived early and after we had checked out
The negatives:
Bed base stained, dirty blanket, stained carpets, dirty marks on the walls, you do hear a bit of noise from other people - talking, doors shutting etc, the beds were very hard.
One of the staff members was nice enough if a bit indifferent; the other appeared somewhat ruder.
Our friend's room was quite small compared to our room and only had a shower cubicle
When we were looking for somewhere to stay we found that a lot of places in Bath have a minimum of 2 night stay over the weekend but we only wanted 1 night - the Redcar allowed this. It was expensive for what it was at £76/night and I think I would spend the extra money next time
Would we stay here again? No,
Would I recommend it? Not really, but if you have low expectations and don't care for one night then maybe it will be ok for you...

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2012

unfriendly receptionist who didn't seem happy to see us! we were told the main hotel doors would be locked at midnight & not opened until 6am so we had a curfew! the floorbeds were creaky & so were the beds. I would not rate this hotel at all no stars would be more appropriate

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends