“Bath's version of Fawlty Towers!!”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #30 of 31 Hotels in Bath
“Bath's version of Fawlty Towers!!”
Reviewed 14 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in November. It's in dire need of modernisation & cleaning! The rooms were basic & you get what you pay for. The shower was atrocious. As a girl with long hair- I had to stand under the water for a good 10 minutes before my hair was wet. The rooms were quite dirty & there was no such thing as a duvet to be had. All in all... If you need a bed to lay your head for the night, it's ok. Don't make the mistake of using their car park. We were delayed by an hour on departure as our car was blocked in & the guy on reception had no means of finding out whose car it was. All in all... A distinctly average experience. Just as well Bath was full of plenty to do so we had to spend minimal time in the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Ok so I only paid £35 for this room in central Bath but even so I did expect a mattress on my bed that was thicker than 4"!!! It was extremely uncomfortable and every time I moved it made the most horrendous noise! This morning I feel like I have been kicked all over. I had booked to stay here again next week but I have now cancelled my booking. On the plus side, the shower was lovely and hot, towels were clean and fluffy. On the negative, the TV in my room didn't have a signal, I ended up having to pay cash because the card machine would not work and then this morning I returned to my car to find that I had been blocked in. Luckily the person who owned the car worked at the hotel but even so this meant that my onward journey was delayed.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank L W

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I booked a double room more or less last minute and then like so many decided to look at tripadvisor! "Oh dear" I thought.
At the end of the day, for somewhere so central and so competitively priced, the reviews are quite unfair.The room was dated but clean and ideal for a short stay. Clean towels and sheets, tea and coffee and a TV - ideal. The bathroom was small but clean and again, ideal.
£10 to park your car in Central bath is a bargain as far as i'm concerned.
With regard to the desk staff being rude and all the other things people have written, I very much suspect they treat people according to how they are being treated. If I was rude to somebody i'd expect them to be rude in return. We arrived to a friendly welcome, a small mix up with the booking was quickly and easily taken care of. Generally helpful and polite staff.
To expect much more for the price and location is foolish.

Room Tip: Room 111 was small but seemed to be in a quiet corner of the hotel on the first floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

We were totally dreading our stay having read the reviews. I can't believe how ridiculous some people's comments were!! This hotel is in an excellent location, fantastic price & the staff were no problem. The decor may have been dated but I cannot see why that is an issue or just cause to rate it so low. You get what you pay for, this place pays tribute to the phrase "cheap and cheerful" - we would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We sent an email to Redcar hotel to book a room and were offered a room. When we arrived we were told that they were fully booked and that there was nothing he could do about it. The man at the reception desk was incredibly rude and treated us like dirt. We are glad we couldn't get a room here, because we found somewhere else with much better reviews and lovely staff. The lady at the hotel next door (Henrietta House) was kind enough to help us with maps and suggestions of places to stay (we would have liked to stay at Henrietta House but couldn't because it was out of our price range, but based on the welcome we received there, I would suggest staying there)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Stupidly i booked this hotel for a wedding i was attending and didn't check trip advisor- a mistake I will never make again.
From the outside Redcar hotel looks lovely and great value for money, unfortunately appearances can be deceiving.

When I initially booked this hotel i paid and extra £10 for parking space, which surprisingly wasn't a reserved space at all. I had to leave my key with the receptionist, who would move car as i had park in front of (what i assume) was another gust car. I wasn't particularly comfortable with this but parking Bath is nightmare as you may know if you have been before, plus when i returned to my now moved car i found my driver sit had been adjusted for whomever moved it (so annoying).

Anyway i digress, as i said before the ''hotel'' appears to be nice, the downstairs area is but dated, the receptionists I met was nice, polite and helpful. As i had arrived early to the hotel i had to change in the toilet for the wedding (which is far, i prefer a clean room). When i did go to my ''hotel'' room i was surprised as it was not what i had expected, for the money i had paid.

The room was very plain and poorly put together with miss matching furniture, the bed looked second hand, and there were marks all over the walls. It was a side room not very big and had a slanted roof, which meant it was difficult to get around the bed.
The room had a v.small dirty window that looked out on to net door wall- lovely, this window did have a blind, however where the wall slanted the blind didn't block any light- so pointless

There were two small ceiling windows directly over the bed with no form of blind or shutter so i was not only woken up by noise but also light.
The bed as previously stated was old but comfortable, the sheets were and there was fresh clean towels. The double bed only had two pillows so i had to use the extra blanket as extra pillow, i know this maybe personal preference but i always say better to have too much than not enough. The bed didn't have a duvet only a sheet, a thin blanket and a topping cover, and being the end of October i was surprised by this, and if had had enough pillows i would of used the other blanket.
The bathroom was clean apart from the soup holder, which looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in months.

There was an electric heater in the room, which heated the room quickly, but i didn't feel comfortable sleeping with it on plus i know they use a lot of energy. I did in the end end up putting it back on as the room got really cold during the night probably due to its location, but then got too hot and has to turn it off again- no win there.

Overall i was very disappointed in this hotel, i think it has lots of potential and location is great but i would NEVER EVER stay there again especially at the price they are currently charging!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Our stay was booked via booking.com. I did it in a hurry, and didn't realise it was to secure the booking only. I thought the payment had been taken in advance. When we arrived, this thing behind the reception desk, who looked like he had slept in this shirt for the past five days, took great delight in being rude to us. Knowing full well, if we decided to leave, my card would be debited. Hense paying twice if we found somewhere else. He also had the added advantage of having a cctv camera on him. So he knew he could go as far as he wanted, rudeness wise. My room, which was very small was not too bad. The shower was warm that afternoon, but very cold the following morning. The main light didn't work after a few hours, so had to rely on the bedside lamp. The tv (freeview) had not been re-tuned, so I couldn't watch it! My travel companions room, was very bad. Holes in walls, tv not working at all. If it did, he would not be able to watch it anyway! There were loads of marks on the paintwork, which made the rooms feel grubby. There was a notice on the front door, stating it would be locked after 10pm! Although we did not like this idea, which made us rush around, we did not fancy having a round two with some other employee later in the evening. We got back with minutes to spare, only to find this was not the case. A really nice Poss Russian guy was behind the desk. He had only been in the job a few days. Would have been helpful to take the notice off the front door! We had a few drinks at the bar, and spoke of what had gone on earlier that day. He did not seem surprised at what we said. You have to ignore the comments on this page, with regard to the Hotel being central. Spend the extra few pounds and stay in a proper hotel/guest house. Being central to Bath is not a good thing, as far as this Hotel is concerned. I have sent a complaint to Booking.com about this hotel, and suggested they should not allow people to book via their site for it. I don't reccommend anyone book a single room in this place, I would not keep a goat in it!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends