“Great location and value for money”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Mumbles, United Kingdom
“Great location and value for money”
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I committed the deadly sin and booked this hotel before checking out reviews on tripadvisor and was about to cancel my booking when my partner persuaded me not to. Could this hotel really be that bad? I am so glad I did not cancel and for once take notice of the narrowminded revies. What do people want from a hotel. Myself its about location, value for money and character. This hotel in my opinion has all three.

You come to Bath to experience its history and architecture. To see the amazing Royal Crescent and Circus buildings, but to be given a chance to stay in one in a building with such character was a privilege. Much better than the soleless modern hotels wit box rooms that are identical and you could be in any town.

Yeah, the hotel is a little shabby and could use a makeover, but in a way it just adds to the character of this old building. Great value for money.

The hotel is in easy reach of all the shops, the amazing Weir (check out the cafe at weir level) and Royal Crescent (don't bother with the tour bus).

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful (don't understand previous reviews at all in this regard, unless they don't like or appreciate the directness of our eastern european friends) - get a life.

Room Tip: Our room was at the rear with good views of a park and nice buildings (great view when it snowed whe...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

please please no one go here ever again,the staff are so terrible,was told no breakfast after we had arrived which we had paid for in the £105 night hotel.extra £10 for parking in the designated hotel spaces.no hot water,had to walk down corridor from our room to shower,the place was so dirty and dark went as soon as we woke up.terrible place should not be advertised as its so misleading.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Reviewed 14 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in November. It's in dire need of modernisation & cleaning! The rooms were basic & you get what you pay for. The shower was atrocious. As a girl with long hair- I had to stand under the water for a good 10 minutes before my hair was wet. The rooms were quite dirty & there was no such thing as a duvet to be had. All in all... If you need a bed to lay your head for the night, it's ok. Don't make the mistake of using their car park. We were delayed by an hour on departure as our car was blocked in & the guy on reception had no means of finding out whose car it was. All in all... A distinctly average experience. Just as well Bath was full of plenty to do so we had to spend minimal time in the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Ok so I only paid £35 for this room in central Bath but even so I did expect a mattress on my bed that was thicker than 4"!!! It was extremely uncomfortable and every time I moved it made the most horrendous noise! This morning I feel like I have been kicked all over. I had booked to stay here again next week but I have now cancelled my booking. On the plus side, the shower was lovely and hot, towels were clean and fluffy. On the negative, the TV in my room didn't have a signal, I ended up having to pay cash because the card machine would not work and then this morning I returned to my car to find that I had been blocked in. Luckily the person who owned the car worked at the hotel but even so this meant that my onward journey was delayed.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank L W
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I booked a double room more or less last minute and then like so many decided to look at tripadvisor! "Oh dear" I thought.
At the end of the day, for somewhere so central and so competitively priced, the reviews are quite unfair.The room was dated but clean and ideal for a short stay. Clean towels and sheets, tea and coffee and a TV - ideal. The bathroom was small but clean and again, ideal.
£10 to park your car in Central bath is a bargain as far as i'm concerned.
With regard to the desk staff being rude and all the other things people have written, I very much suspect they treat people according to how they are being treated. If I was rude to somebody i'd expect them to be rude in return. We arrived to a friendly welcome, a small mix up with the booking was quickly and easily taken care of. Generally helpful and polite staff.
To expect much more for the price and location is foolish.

Room Tip: Room 111 was small but seemed to be in a quiet corner of the hotel on the first floor.
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

We were totally dreading our stay having read the reviews. I can't believe how ridiculous some people's comments were!! This hotel is in an excellent location, fantastic price & the staff were no problem. The decor may have been dated but I cannot see why that is an issue or just cause to rate it so low. You get what you pay for, this place pays tribute to the phrase "cheap and cheerful" - we would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We sent an email to Redcar hotel to book a room and were offered a room. When we arrived we were told that they were fully booked and that there was nothing he could do about it. The man at the reception desk was incredibly rude and treated us like dirt. We are glad we couldn't get a room here, because we found somewhere else with much better reviews and lovely staff. The lady at the hotel next door (Henrietta House) was kind enough to help us with maps and suggestions of places to stay (we would have liked to stay at Henrietta House but couldn't because it was out of our price range, but based on the welcome we received there, I would suggest staying there)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple