“If you dont mind shabby then its a great location”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #30 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Exeter, United Kingdom
“If you dont mind shabby then its a great location”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed here with 9 of my friends for my hen do. Yes the decor and furniture seriously needs updating, but if you can get past this the sheets are clean, the staff are friendly and helpful and its within a 2 min walk to the city centre! Plus it only worked out at £41 each per night, you will definitly not find a central location at this price; but does depend on how fussy you are!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

If you want top end don't come here, we found it all good yes there were a few mlnor problems but for where you are in Bath this is value for money, we were a bit worried when we seen the feedback but need not of worried

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend on a last minute surprise weekend away for his birthday.
Firstly there are a couple of pros-parking on the road and using a meter is cheaper than the hotel (which is £10) if you can get in the hotel car park (!) and it was in a great location close to the shops and bars :)
Now for the cons (there are a fair few!):
We were put in a twin room even though a double had been booked, this was on the top floor with no lift and no offer of help with the bags. Our room was lit with only two very dim side lamps, the ceiling (technically at roof level) leaked rain into the room all night, the shower was either freezing or scolding, it was filthy and the beds were very uncomfortable. When we returned from our lovely night out in the city there was a huge hornet in the room which we managed to get rid of and another in the room by morning! When we told the hotel receptionist about the roof and other problems he made no apology and said he woukd simply shut the room until they had fixed the leak! Nothing else! Absolutely awful hotel and if it wasn't for our night in Bath being lovely I would never return. This place should be shut down until someone who understands customers can take over and overhaul everything about it!

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Brandine88

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We went to Bath to go to the last day of racing in 2013. We booked this room cheap, and going with that in mind and low expectations the hotel was even worse than that. It is dingy, the room we were in had fixtures and fittings missing, the old windows rattled when it was windy and the carpet felt sticky to walk on. I also was not impressed by some of the staff who were smoking and chatting loudly right under the window at 7.30am.

Room Tip: ask for a room not with a road view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon J
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We only stayed the night but it was just what we needed a clean bed for the night. We arrived early and staff allowed us to use the facilities, which meant we could then go off and enjoy the day. Breakfast was not an issue as there are so many cafes open early within 2 minutes of the hotel. Sometimes people expect a little too much for their money, my bed linen was clean, the room was clean, yes a little tired in places but the economy is hitting everyone. We were more than happy with what we got for our money.

Room Tip: Reccommend the double rooms with en-suite
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is not a deluxe hotel, but if you are looking for somewhere that is cheap and central, you will not go far wrong. The location is 2 minutes walk from Pulteney Bridge and the heart of the shopping area. The hotel has a car park (chargeable) in an area where there is no on-street parking at all. The welcome we received from Adrian at the front desk was friendly and informative. The rooms do vary in size, so have a look first and if you're not happy ask to change. As for breakfast, there are numerous local cafes within walking distance offering better fare than any hotel of this size would offer anyway. If you are looking for chic luxury, or a lot of hotel extras, pampering, and are willing to pay top dollar, or are happy to book two nights (as many Bath hotel insist), then this is not for you. If you want a hotel that is cheap and has a great location, then it's worth looking at.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Jersey, null, Jersey
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Myself and a friend were in Bath to support our children who were gymnasts taking part in the 2013 Bath Summer Games.
This was my first taster of the Summer Games, as we had spent most of the day travelling and getting passes not only for ourselves but for other families we were meeting up with, we were looking forward to a nice relaxing rest in our room when we got to the hotel, before the festivities started.
When we finally got to the hotel we realised that we had to climb four flights of stairs to get to our room, we asked if there was someone to help with our luggage as I have a very bad back and didn't realise I would be climbing rickety, narrow and plain unsafe stairs.
When we got to our room, it smelt, damp, musty, and to say that they had said it had just been cleaned I am not sure where as it was absolutely filthy.
There were damp patches by the electric sockets, wallpaper peeling off the walls holes in the carpet, smoke detectors hanging off the ceiling with chewing gum attached to them and suspicious hairs in the bathroom.
To also say it is a non-smoking hotel we found cigarette ends outside on the window sill and the window itself was dangerous, I accidentally knocked the window with my head and it came slamming down with such force if my fingers had been in the way I believe I would have broken them.
Unfortunately seeing as the Special Olympics Games were on and that it was a bank holiday their was no option for changing the hotel and being on a budget and they insist on you paying up front which I found unusual we had no choice but to stay where we were. The list is endless on how this hotel has ruined what should have been for me a very memorable time for me. Fortunately the young vulnerable adults that we were here to see did very well and that has helped take the sting out of a very unpleasant stay.
There are two things that I enjoyed out of the stay it was very close to the centre of the city and bus routes, and some of the staff were helpful, It is a pity that not all of them could have taken a leaf out of their books hopefully they will pull out their fingers and do some improvements to the building and their customer service techniques, however I am not expecting much.
On a security basis please do not think once you lock your bedroom door that no-one can get in. On the last day my friend and I were in a twin room, the night before we locked our bedroom door and the following morning I had noticed that someone had opened it and walked in, then realising we were still in there walked back out again. Felt very uncomfortable and unnerved. This is probably the worst run hotel I have been in and I suggest that somebody look into this hotel very soon.
Hope this review was helpful and that something positive can come out of this.

Room Tip: It appears that the single rooms I in a far better condition than the doubles or twin rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends