“The most awful experience in such a nice place...”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #31 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Naples, Italy
“The most awful experience in such a nice place...”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This place is expected to be a hotel, but I wouldn't even qualify as a hostel...
In all the places we've been in the UK, including Guest Houses this was just the worse.
Rude staff, they looked pissed off when we'd walked in, without showing a bit of interest in their customers apart when asking to pay.
Room was dark, with a tiny bathroom and a shower with no sealing door but a curtain letting all the water running out of it.
THE JOKE? A MATTRESS PROBABLY 50 YEARS OLD, WITH SPRINGS COMING OUT THAT WE COULD FEEL ALL OVER THE BODY AND A DISGUSTING BROWN THROW DATED PROBABLY 18TH CENTURY...SO NON-HYGIENICAL THAT I SPENT ALL NIGHT BEING CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH OUR BODIES...

Plus, the cleaners shouting early morning in the corridor and keeping the coffee and teas sachets in the same basket of cleaning products?

When on check out we reported the issue, the same rude receptionist told us: "well, we have no power in this place,if the owner won't buy new mattresses we can't do anything..." really????

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL
DO NOT TRY THIS PLACE AT ALL!!!

2 Thank Virgy F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
South Molton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My partner and I were not expecting much, as a result of paying only £49 for one night, but even we weren't prepared for what we got! Very odd, unhelpful staff, our room was absolutely tiny and the decor was comical! Dark purple walls, grubby burgundy carpets and battered tatty furniture. The so called double bed was hilarious! Slightly bigger than a single, with no duvet, just a thin brown blanket and a sheet and 3 flat pillows between the two of us. The the best part was the mattress! Never have I been able to feel every single spring sticking into every part of my body! Without doubt the most uncomfortable night's sleep I have ever had (or not had), coupled with the fact that the stunning walls were so thin that it felt like the unfortunate coughing lady in the next room was sat at the end of our bed! Three words...don't do it!

Room Tip: I doubt that there are any good rooms!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This was the last hotel available to stay in bath ,and I know no why .stayed in room just above the main entrance all the staff stand out side chatting and smoking till very late could only open one of the two windows but the smoke fumes came in,windows are broken and dangerous.The inside of the room was dirty and old fashioned the bed had springs showing in the mattress so uncomfortable .the paintwork was missing of the walls chiped and damaged.there was no lamp that worked the main light was dirty and had a very low powered bulb we could not see a thing in the room there was more light from the street lighting outside .Carpets were dirty and sticky, tiles in the bathroom were broken and loose .the bathroom was dirty and old fashioned , no hot water . We did not unpack our clothes out of our bags did not wants to put them down on furniture or in draws or cubards. The beding was old fashioned and did not smell fresh.This has got to be the worst hotel I have ever seen ,do not stay here.

Room Tip: Do not stay here ever
Marazion, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Basic & a bit shabby but for the price it was ok. I stayed for 1 night in nov for business, the wall paper was hanging off the wall, the banister was broken, the bed sheet didn't meet the end of the bed and the windows let the wind in. It cost £49 for two of us to share a room, its 5 mins from the city centre and it was OK. lots of bad reviews on here but you get what you pay for. Reception weren't particularly helpful but I can't really complain that much, I needed a room and that's what I got!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband and I have just arrived home after a weekend in Bath, staying in the worst hotel it has ever been our misfortune to use. What a pity we didn’t think to check Tripadvisor, but as we’re pensioners, it isn’t first nature to us to do that. Lesson learned. The hotel is vile and the staff are seriously unpleasant.

We arrived at 12.50 on Friday 15th November. We knew that check-in time was 1400, but we really didn’t want to lug our case all round busy Bath and into the Ustinov Theatre. The surly receptionist took one look at us and said “Check-in 2 o’clock”. He didn’t bother to check if the room was ready. Quite taken aback, we said “We realise that, but could we please leave our case here?” “In there” he said, pointing to a large public reception room.
At 1400 precisely, I returned and was given the key to room 102, having to pay up front. I asked if it had a walk-in shower or over-bath shower. He said the latter. I asked politely if they had a walk-in shower as my husband has osteoarthritis and couldn’t climb over the edge of the bath. He gave me the key to room 111. I went up to look at it. It smelt and it was tiny. The tiny bathroom had a minute shower with a smelly mildewed curtain. There was no way to stand upright at the end of the bed because of the sloping wall, on which was a television, projecting over the bed. I went down and told the receptionist that my husband couldn’t get past the end of the bed and was told “Well, he can sleep the other side”. I just stood open-mouthed and eventually said, “After thirty-three years, I think not”. I asked very nicely if we could possibly have the room he first offered. He shoved the key at me.

The handrail on the stairs was dangerously wobbly. I left the bags in the room and hurried out. I asked at reception if there was a non-slip bath mat we could use. He replied “No” without even the courtesy of apologising or looking at me. I went and bought one.

We returned after the evening show at the theatre and went up to our room. I turned on the light and expected it to get brighter, but nothing happened. It is an old 40W lamp. There were no bedside lights. We couldn’t unpack properly. When we were ready for bed, how do we switch off the light? The switch is by the door, tucked behind the wardrobe. How do we go to the loo in the middle of the night? There are broken floor tiles in the bathroom and some of the grouting on the floor is black. The lavatory bowl is stained brown. The towel hooks are falling off the door. There is no extractor fan in the bathroom. The over-mirror light is not working. The basin plug has no chain, so I had to use scissors to force it out. But, there was now a non-slip mat over the bath.

Luckily we don’t bother with the tv because it was the smallest tv I have ever seen, about 13 x 8 inches. There was something with a control switch on the headboard (radio?) but it didn’t appear to be connected to anything.

The bed was very uncomfortable, with the springs sticking up under the sheets (hadn’t broken the mattress cover). There were three small pillows between the two of us. I didn’t get much sleep.

Next morning: The floor to ceiling windows had no net curtains, so we had to get dressed in full view of the houses opposite and people walking along the road. (Pointless shutting the curtains and trying to see with a 40w light!).The window cords were broken, the frames rotten. The windows were very dirty and there were cobwebs in the windows. Although the radiator was cold, the room was stifling. There was no hotel information file. There were no water glasses. The room should have been re-painted at least five years ago, it was seriously chipped and shabby (and an offence against good taste, having purple walls and orange curtains and surfaces!)

We went down to breakfast and asked where it was. “Turn left out of the hotel and up the road.........” This was news to us. I told him that after the night I’d had, I wasn’t in the mood for jokes. He ignored me. I complained about wasting money buying a bath mat but he turned away from us and ignored me. Words were exchanged, at which point he became seriously offensive and accused us of shouting and abusing him, neither of which we did. It was obvious that he was used to guests complaining. Another guest came by and told him in no uncertain terms (and unrepeatable language) what he thought of the place. He continued to ignore us. We and the other guest went outside and compared notes.

We would be disgusted with the Redcar if it was advertised as a hostel and charged hostel prices, but it pushes itself as a nice hotel. Its advertising is seriously misleading.

I didn’t find the East Europeans lurking around inside and outside at all threatening, even when they stopped talking and stared at us, but I know other people have.

This place needs to be inspected by the tourist board and by the health and safety inspectors and then closed down. It’s a disgrace to the lovely city of Bath and has left a very unpleasant taste in the mouth. We come to Bath regularly to the theatre and have on previous occasions stayed at The Francis and a B&B on Poultney Road so we know Bath well. We have never come across such rude and unpleasant hotel staff in the whole of Europe (including Russia) and all over the USA.
Learn from our mistake, don't stay there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LesleyandRogerN
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Clean and acceptable. We were only staying for one night, arriving late so didn't want anything too expensive, found this as a reasonable, centrally located option. Room was average, bed was ok, bathroom small. No parking at all, relatively costly nearby as city centre. No breakfast, but plenty of nearby places, and staff helpful to advise on this.
For one night, where all you need is a bed, perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Hotel clean and warm, no bar or restaurant but as on a weekend away with friends this was not an issue as there are many great places to eat and drink nearby. It's well situated near Pultney Bridge, and as Bath is such an expensive location my feeling is that it offers good value. Great for doing the Two Tunnels Greenway walk of 13 miles as it's on the route. Great for a group who just want a well situated place to stay rather than for a romantic weekend away as there are no amenities and the rooms cramped

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends