“Disgusting!!!! Worst "hotel" ever!!!”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Disgusting!!!! Worst "hotel" ever!!!”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Blood stains on the wall.
Mattress that had seen better days! I had to borrow the cushions from the sofa in reception to make a bed in the floor.
Rusty soap holder!
Mouldy brown shower!
Cold water!
No duvet!
Old fleece blankets!
A twin room that was a single!
I advise you DON'T STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Em27dc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We have stayed here several times to visit Bath and have always been very impressed. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for the staff, they look after parking your car, look after your bags, and take the bags up to the rooms. The rooms have a good range of facilities, shower gel, hairdryer, soap, tea and coffee, which many other hotels have stopped offering. The hotel does not offer food, but there are several cafes and restaurants nearby offering breakfast, lunches and evening meals so no problem there. Brilliant choice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alison S S
East Sussex
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Look at all the bad reviews they're real. I spent last night with 2 of my friends in family room 301. I booked it 3 months ago as this was the only room available for the Xmas market. I'd seen the bad reviews and desperately tried to book elsewhere without success but resigned to expecting it to be bad but thinking oh well its only for 1 night and somewhere to lay our head. I thought it would be better as was expecting the worst but oh my goodness it truly was the worst. I am shattered because I didn't sleep a wink and neither did my one of my friends. The mattresses seriously do need changing they feel like they are 50+ years old. So uncomfortable, springs lumpy just awful. The only reason my other friend slept is because she's a paramedic and used to sleeping under extreme conditions! The wallpaper is peeling off paintwork very tired decor and furniture dated old carpet with snagged thread. Felt like old sticky chewing gum on arm of sofa in room. Bannisters felt very tacky so you really don't want to touch anything and if you do need to wash! It was like faulty towers coming here very farcical and if we hadn't laughed about tthe hideous situation we would have cried especially having paid £120 and couldn't sleep . The only thing going for it is the location but that's it. Please do not stay here even if you are desperate it needs to be shut down and look at all the bad reviews we can't all be wrong!!!! P.s. After being led to believe we would most probably be able to park in their limited spaces car park even ringing at 9am we wasted time and money by paying machine and then at 11.30 am having to get caught in traffic and park out of town as we were now too late to park in the towns long term car park. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank tatty644

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We have stayed at the Redcar twice and would do again. It's what it is, a bit tired but in a great location and a good price.
Had no trouble at all with the staff they were pleasant and helpful,allowing us to leave cases at beginning and end of three night stay.
There isn't any breakfast ,but hotel breakfast isn't always that good anyway. Five minutes walk takes you to several good places to have breakfast.

Room Tip: Let them know in advance if you have problems with stairs.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just spent one night in this hotel for a weekend in Bath,, I booked a single ensuite room with shower, basic but very clean and tea/coffee making facilities were provided. Friendly staff and lovely comfy lounge off Reception area...yes, all a bit dated but this did not bother me in the least and it was a nice place to stay overnight. On street parking available (free in the evenings), excellent location, easy 5 mins walk into the city centre. My room was on the lower ground floor facing the road but traffic was minimal and did not disturb my sleep. I would like there not be any negatives in my review but I just have to mention the mattress which was very old, very uncomfortable and I could feel every spring....I will certainly book this hotel again when I visit Bath next year but will check before I go (if the give me the same room) that they have bought a new mattress!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hazel W
Naples, Italy
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This place is expected to be a hotel, but I wouldn't even qualify as a hostel...
In all the places we've been in the UK, including Guest Houses this was just the worse.
Rude staff, they looked pissed off when we'd walked in, without showing a bit of interest in their customers apart when asking to pay.
Room was dark, with a tiny bathroom and a shower with no sealing door but a curtain letting all the water running out of it.
THE JOKE? A MATTRESS PROBABLY 50 YEARS OLD, WITH SPRINGS COMING OUT THAT WE COULD FEEL ALL OVER THE BODY AND A DISGUSTING BROWN THROW DATED PROBABLY 18TH CENTURY...SO NON-HYGIENICAL THAT I SPENT ALL NIGHT BEING CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH OUR BODIES...

Plus, the cleaners shouting early morning in the corridor and keeping the coffee and teas sachets in the same basket of cleaning products?

When on check out we reported the issue, the same rude receptionist told us: "well, we have no power in this place,if the owner won't buy new mattresses we can't do anything..." really????

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL
DO NOT TRY THIS PLACE AT ALL!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Virgy F
South Molton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My partner and I were not expecting much, as a result of paying only £49 for one night, but even we weren't prepared for what we got! Very odd, unhelpful staff, our room was absolutely tiny and the decor was comical! Dark purple walls, grubby burgundy carpets and battered tatty furniture. The so called double bed was hilarious! Slightly bigger than a single, with no duvet, just a thin brown blanket and a sheet and 3 flat pillows between the two of us. The the best part was the mattress! Never have I been able to feel every single spring sticking into every part of my body! Without doubt the most uncomfortable night's sleep I have ever had (or not had), coupled with the fact that the stunning walls were so thin that it felt like the unfortunate coughing lady in the next room was sat at the end of our bed! Three words...don't do it!

Room Tip: I doubt that there are any good rooms!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple