“fine for the price”

Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Bath
Charmouth, United Kingdom
“fine for the price”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I read all the reviews about this hotel and was expecting the worse - in fact it was absolutely fine and we had a city centre location at just £60 for a twin room on a Saturday in Bath! The hotel itself is a bit jaded but all the important things like bath, loo, towels, and bed linen were all clean and tidy. Actually we rather liked its 'feel' which was honest rather than showy - I've stayed in many posh hotels which have a veneer of class but actually just process you through their system without really caring for you. As others have said the staff are terrific - they are also authentic rather than clone products from a 'customer care' course. We would definitely stay again - the key thing is to realise you're staying at a 2 or 3 star establishment so don't expect chocolates on your pillow and room service at 4am. BTW for breakfast I'd recommend Scoffs which is a 5 minute walk - absolutely superb food, staff and views!

Room Tip: book early!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Russ P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Carmarthenshire
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I had read all the reviews about this hotel and they were mainly bad. We got a good deal through Booking.com and were very happy with the price. Me and my friends turned up not knowing what to expect. The location is excellent. The staff are wonderful. The hotel itself does need a bit of a facelift but it was elegant in a shabby kind of way. In it's heyday it would have been a beautiful place. Had a good night sleep after a nice glass of red wine at the lovely bar. No breakfast but so many cafes around, even on a Sunday. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EssexWelshGirl
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Right, where to start? lets be positive first of all...the guy on reception was lovely and downstairs was old fashioned but nice enough. Now for the rest.......I knew by paying £89 to stay in Bath on a Saturday was cheap but really I would have been happier it being no more than £40 with the stay we had seeing as it was just bed, not bed and breakfast. The bed was terrible, springs stuck in my back all night, sheets were thin and generally not a nice bed at all, I was shattered after a long day in Bath but was dreading going back to the hotel room. Terrible lighting in the room....there was one tiny little lamp and one main light, both useless dull bulbs. I had to use my phone light to put make up on, The tv was the size of an A4 piece of paper I would say and the remote had no back in it so the batteries kept coming out. There were holes and paint coming off off the walls, Stains in the carpet and one of the windows was broken which was banging in the wind outside (I had to jam something in it to stop the noise), The noise outside from other people staying in the hotel went on for hours past midnight and even though we closed the windows there must have been gaps there because there was still a slight breeze coming in and we could hear every word from people outside (reception should have gone out to tell them to shut up) and every car going past the hotel sounded like it was driving past the bed because you could hear everything through the rubbish windows. Once the noise outside started to die down I was just drifiting off when the noice of the water pipes started. Some banging and buzzing noises went on and off for ages. The hotel room itself was so hot, we waited until the noise outside stopped and then had the window open all night. The security wasn't great in the hotel, the guy on reception said that whenever we went out we had to leave the hotel key which was fine but when we went to collect the key on our return from a meal out and told him our room number he just gave the key and didn't check our names, we could have been anyone coming in as he wasn't the guy who checked us in. So all in all we are not rested after our break away, we are shattered!!! Love Bath had Redcar Hotel

Room Tip: Don't stay here. I thought the location would make up for a cheap hotel but it's worth stay...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucy A

Travellers are raving about these Bath hotels

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Firstly, the floors just do not stop creaking! And we could feel the springs in the bed! The room was ugly and the toilet looked like a portacabin added to the room. Wasn't very clean either. But the staff were nice and friendly. Bath is expensive, but I would find something better than this to enjoy the trip

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alexdavid2202
Reviewed 27 January 2014

It was cheap, it had clean sheets, the receptionist was polite and helpful.
It couldn't of been dusted for at least 10 years. The mattresses were awful, the beds were probarly slept in by the Georgians themselves. When we entered the room the windows were open and heating on full blast and the boiler beneath the room was pumping smoke in through the windows. The bar was empty of alcohol it honestly had four bottles of spirits. How this place stays open is unknown to me. It was awful. Luckily my friend and I had a good laugh in spite of this. If you can go else where do! Wouldn't go back if it was free.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Cathiepursall
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The staff at this hotel were wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble, every request I made was dealt with very swiftly and I did not need to follow up with a second and third request ( which I have had to in far superior hotels in the past) The Reception staff were very nice and helpful and our room was cleaned very well during our stay with all tea/coffee/sugars fully replenished each day. It is a shame for the splendid staff who do not deserve some of the bad reviews this hotel receives.
The hotel does need a complete refurb and the kettles etc could do with being replaced along with the furniture, carpets etc.. I think if this hotel had some money spent on it and was given a complete refurb with the current staff it has, it could do rather well..

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maria F
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Unbelievable. We should have realised what we were going to stay in when we were asked to pay for the nights stay (£80 per room) when we checked in. To say the standard was poor doesn't do justice. The bathroom was grubby; the toilet didn't always flush; paint work badly chipped; pipe work obviously installed after the 'wardrobes' installed and so the base of the units had been hacked at; ran out of wine at the bar (see our friend's review) - don't go there!

Oh yes. Also had to pay £10 for parking at the rear of the hotel.

Room Tip: If this is the only Bath Centre choice then think again about staying further out and getting a cab...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple