“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Redcar Hotel is very close to Bath but not worth it, the rooms are disgusting, there were cobwebs everywhere, the room smelled, the bathroom was so awful we didn't even shower. Do not stay here! I wish I'd read these reviews before I booked.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 August 2009

We booked a deluxe room at this hotel as my birthday treat. The location for this hotel is excellent you are in the centre of Bath within a few mintues walking (about 10 mins from train station). The communal areas of the hotel contain the period features you would expect from a hotel of this era and are clean and tidy. The dining room is clean and bright and set in a oriential theme. The breakfast is a buffet style and there is plenty of choice from hot and cold. We found the staff very friendly and helpful.
The room was very dissapointing, it is located right next door to the ladies toilet. The room was incredibly dated with thread bear carpet, the netting that covered the four poster bed contained enough dust to send us into a coughing fit. The bed felt as though it would break at any moment and you could feel the springs through the matress. There were no drawers or shelves in the wardrobe to put anything in so we laid our underwear and t shirts on the mantel piece. The small portable TV was on a table that you could not see if you were laid in bed nor was the reception very good. The bathroom was also dissapointing and in urgent need of updating.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I was quite worried before arriving at this hotel, due to reading so many bad reviews.
I spent a long weekend at the Redcar hotel for my hen weekend. I booked 7 double rooms for all of us. All the rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable.
There was one room that was not up to our standards, and the staff allowed us to choose another room straight away which was acceptable.
The only downside to some of the rooms was that they were quite hot as their is no air conditioning, but some have fans on the ceiling which helped.
The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our entire stay.
Breakfast was a lovely selection of fruit, cereals, toast and a fry up.
5 minute walk to the main town.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 17 August 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Redcar for three nights while touring around Bath and the surrounding area. It's in a pretty good location--a doable 10-minute walk from the train station, and about five minutes to the main tourist area and some great restaurants.

The biggest downside of the hotel is its plumbing; the whole place basically needs a total overhaul. In our first room, water only drizzled out of the shower when it was turned to a setting warm enough to actually use. We complained and were moved to another room the next day. That room had a perfectly functioning shower. However, the toilets in both rooms--as well as those off the lobby--were ridiculously difficult to flush.

I found the breakfast to be pretty standard, as far as these types of places go. There's also reasonably priced Internet at a computer in the bar, and the staff was very helpful when it wasn't functioning for me.

On one night, some noisy guests in the hallway kept us up in the middle of the night, but that's not really the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2009

Wanting to stay near the centre of Bath was a must and the main reason for choosing this hotel as a last minute booking. Staff were lovely and very friendly however the rooms were very substantial and unclean for the star rating of this hotel. The main bedroom area was OK but small things ruined the nice features. The bath room was dirty in that the tiles were stained and the toilet looked like it hadn't been cleaned well for months. No hairdryer in one of the rooms and the other one needed fiddling with to get to work,

If you want a hotel close to the cebtre and can put up with this down points then go for it - but would look else where myself if revisiting.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank HelenJ23
Reviewed 31 July 2009

As the title says, its all about location at the Redcar Hotel.
Superb for Bath town centre, and all the local attractions, but over priced, and somewhat run down.

Was particularly impressed with the sloping floor in the room, the lack of hot water at night, (however it re-appeared again by morning). The array of fruit at breakfast was truly the finest array of tinned awful looking fruit that I've seen in a long time.

If you just want a place to lay your head close to Bath centre then this is it. (if your not too fussy!)

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank SWORRUB
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Before heading to England on holiday I had read some of the not-so-great reviews of this hotel. I tried to go into it with an open mind. I was pleasantly surprised by the lobby and thought, "this isn't so bad." Then we were told we were on the top floor and, no, there is no lift. We were on a 3 week holiday, so had large suitcases. We had to down-size our luggage in the lobby as there was no way we could have carried it up three flights of stairs (62 steps....I counted them). The lovely, tiny front desk clerk offered to help, but honestly, I think my suitcase weighed more than she did! After getting up to our room, I was appalled. It was awful. Nasty stains on the ceiling and what was left of the carpets. Bathroom was like something you'd find in someone's home, complete w/little yellow ducky tiles on the walls (and the duckies were the good part!). Bathroom appeared clean, but had dusty corners. Linens were in bad shape. Ceilings low. Very hot, being basically in the attic. Argh! Reading other reviews, I would say it's a hit or miss at this hotel depending on the room your are assigned. We got a clunker. Bed was noisy and hard. Breakfast was good and the employees are all very nice.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family