“GREAT LOCATION, SHAME ABOUT THE ACCOMMODATION”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Location couldn't have been better for walking into the Town Centre, ideal. It's just a pity the Hotel was really very, very tired. It reminded me of stepping back in time to the 1970's. The room was a lot to be desired. The curtains were falling off their track, the lighting was very very poor, the shower was no more than a slow drip. There were holes in the bathroom wall, stains on the wall and in the toilet pan, stains on the rugs/carpets, cobwebs in the room, need I go on it's just too painful!! The staff were helpful to a degree, although I must share this with you. I had my cooked breakfast which was cold, and took a glass of juice to have with it. The glass was chipped on the rim, I was soooooooooooo lucky not to have cut my lips. I said to the waitress about it, she proceeded to take the glass of juice away, with no apology and whats more, no replacement drink! The dining room table I ate from was dirty, the chairs stained. I think whomever reads this will get the picture. Not good. If you're not fussy, with no particular standards, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank TatianaDorset

Reviewed 11 October 2009

I shared a twin room with my sister for a shopping weekend. Sadly the room was extremely dated and not especially nice. The bed was uncomfortable. The shower room was very small - not the end of the world - but nowhere to put toiletries etc. The light above the mirror did not work. There was an odour from the drains [we presume]. The tablets of soap were on an orange plastic plate with an orange mug - both resembled picnic crockery. Poor lighting in the bedroom. No remote for the TV. Poor TV reception.
There was a strange smell in the corridors.
Very good to have a hotel carpark - but my sister was hemmed in when she wished to leave [quickly resolved actually- good!]
My sister had orange juice for breakfast - in a glass that was chipped! The waitress took the glass away - no apology, no replacement. The table at breakfast was not properly cleaned so I sat with crumbs in front of me and no serviette.
Generally speaking - dated decor. Not fresh and airy.
The staff were pleasant.
I would avoid this hotel when next having an overnight stay in beautiful Bath.

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank kjt1
Reviewed 2 October 2009

We were put in this hotel as part of a business trip. I ended up staying one night and then commuting back home for the other two nights I had to be in Bath despite having paid for 3nights in advance. I could not bring myslef to put myself through staying again.
Never slept in a bed as uncomfy as this one. I woke every hour or so having lost circulation to whichever limb was on the mattress.
The hotel became a very expensive car park as opposed to nice place to return to after a hard day.
There was no refund as they have a 3 day cancellation policy. I guess they need to have this as so many would leave otherwise

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank SurreyLife99
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I was slightly concerned about the negative reviews before booking this Hotel for my sisters Hen Weekend, but for price, location, availability and parking ( although limited) it ticked all the boxes.
Not everyone could stay both nights so the Hotel was very flexible with the booking, I found alot of places in Bath will not accept single night bookings over the weekend. From the start I dealt with a lovely girl called Jess who could not be more helpful, during our stay she even found batteries for my mums camera!
We did not go expecting the Ritz, but in general we were all pleasantly surprised, we opted for family rooms as this was the cheapest option, the rooms were plenty big enough, one even with an extra sofa bed too, decent size clean bathroom and tea and coffee facilities and t.v, perfect for our needs, 14 of us stayed over the course of the weekend and there were no complaints atall.
We all met at the bar for cocktails before going out both nights of our stay and really prices are fine, no more than you would pay anywhere in Bath anyway.
Breakfast was Fab! anything from cereal fruit and yoghurt to a full English with a choice of scrambled or Fried eggs and all help yourself buffet style so you could have as much or as little as you wanted, and fresh toast brought to your table.
All I would say is give this Hotel a chance, the staff we saw were all really helpful and 24 hour reception meant we could leave our keys safely and still roll in in the early hours of the morning.
All our party got spaces in the car park with a few re shuffles and we had no problems there either.
All in all a fantastic stay and a great base for the weekends activities, would definately go back.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 12 September 2009

Disgusting hotel. The rooms were incredibly dirty and dated, and the staff were incompetent, especially a blond receptionist who knew little about the area and took her time checking us in.
Stay anywhere else, but don't waste your money here.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Redcar Hotel is very close to Bath but not worth it, the rooms are disgusting, there were cobwebs everywhere, the room smelled, the bathroom was so awful we didn't even shower. Do not stay here! I wish I'd read these reviews before I booked.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We booked a deluxe room at this hotel as my birthday treat. The location for this hotel is excellent you are in the centre of Bath within a few mintues walking (about 10 mins from train station). The communal areas of the hotel contain the period features you would expect from a hotel of this era and are clean and tidy. The dining room is clean and bright and set in a oriential theme. The breakfast is a buffet style and there is plenty of choice from hot and cold. We found the staff very friendly and helpful.
The room was very dissapointing, it is located right next door to the ladies toilet. The room was incredibly dated with thread bear carpet, the netting that covered the four poster bed contained enough dust to send us into a coughing fit. The bed felt as though it would break at any moment and you could feel the springs through the matress. There were no drawers or shelves in the wardrobe to put anything in so we laid our underwear and t shirts on the mantel piece. The small portable TV was on a table that you could not see if you were laid in bed nor was the reception very good. The bathroom was also dissapointing and in urgent need of updating.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple