Review Highlights
‘It’s well presented and has clothing dated back to the 1700’s.’

The museum is situated near the circus and the top of Gay Street. It’s quite a walk up hill, so... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Ben927
Northampton, United Kingdom
via mobile
Nice museum to wander around

We visited early October, we walked there from where we were staying took about 15mins mostly... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
0jacquelineb
Bedford, United Kingdom
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Bath
from US$23.77
from US$20.98
from US$27.97
from US$110.47
1,659 results
All reviews assembly rooms on display audio guide great collection modern times saver ticket great fun worth a visit interesting visit couple of hours jane austen royal crescent clothing costumes exhibits outfit century
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 September 2019 via mobile

My daughter and I spent around an hour or so looking around this little museum.
She’s 10 and enjoyed seeing the different fashions and how they evolved.
We both had a go at dressing up and the colouring table was a nice touch.

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed 27 August 2019 via mobile

On admission, I was given directions to the exhibition, however the signage was poor and I was very confused as I had started at the end. I then asked someone else for directions and ended up at the same place again. When I ended up finding my way the fashions and clothing with descriptions was excellent.
On exiting the exhibition, the lady at the service desk was not friendly or helpful at all.

1  Thank RubyFrankH
Reviewed 27 August 2019

This place is great, its in the basement of the Assembly rooms which are right next door to the Circus and adjacent to Royal Terrace. The displays are informative and original and very well presented and the dressing up section is a must for everyone, young or not so young..boy or girl!!

1  Thank elsarge
Reviewed 26 August 2019 via mobile

Like everything else it’s a very small museum but cute, you can find a selection of clothes through history. There is also a room where you can try on old outfits

1  Thank Alessiogoofy
Reviewed 25 August 2019

The Fashion Museum is just extraordinary. The exhibition of 100 objects in fashion is brilliant. The notes to the costumes are so well curated that I was content with feasting my eyes and reading the notes, which were very informative, without being pedantic.

I loved the elaborately embroidered and trimmed gowns (in the attached photographs). Although they are so gorgeous, we can see how constrained women would have been by weight and bulk of the hoops, allowing only slow movements.

The blue silk gown trimmed with lace has such a fitted waist (achieved via stays) and tight sleeves that we can see how an upper class woman could hardly breathe freely. No wonder they had fainting couches.

The collection is beautifully laid out so that it is a pleasure to look at the wide variety of costumes. The glove collection is amazing.

One of the most beautiful items was the red embroidered jacket worn by Vivian Leigh. Stunning.

The museum includes a range of costumes which is great fun for dress up photos. I tried on a regency gown with matching bonnet. Compared to the hooped gowns, the regency gowns where so much lighter and freer.

The museum shop is worth a visit. As well as a great collection of books, which I had to forsake because of airline suitcase weight restrictions, there are also delightful small broaches which are made by one of the museum staff and beautiful scarves and headbands.

I wishes I had more time here (only had one hour) and would definitely visit again. It was fabulous.

Date of experience: July 2019