“A real find within walking distance of Bath City Centre”

and 1 more site!
The New Crown Inn and Pub
Ranked #98 of 159 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed at the warm and welcoming New Crown for four nights when working in Bath. The single room rate for one night is very good value - especially for Bath - at £30 but this reduces for stays over three nights so I paid £25/night - a bargain.

The room was clean, with brand new sash windows, a new flat screen TV and DVD player, kettle and (for one person) an ample fridge, where milk (for the breakfast cereal and tea or coffee) was kept. The single bed was comfortable. The shared bathroom likewise was clean. Everything worked including the central heating provided through new-ish double radiators. Decor and some fittings are of some vintage but everything is in good order. Noise from the street was inaudible and from the pub downstairs un-bothersome.

The landlady, Penny James, despite the death of her father in the last week, was very welcoming, as was her husband Kelvin, who cooks generous dinners to order every evening (e.g. Lamb steak with new potatoes and vegetables £8.25) which are also superb value.

The pub is a proper owner-managed drinkers' pub. If you want corporate decor and bouncy balls for the kids, this is not the place. Instead, there is a very friendly clientele, pub banter, Sky Sports TV, a pool table room and Cornish Doom Bar cask ale in good condition at £3.30/pint.

The New Crown has a bus stop outside with the very regular No.1 & No.14 services to Bath Bus Station, which take around 7.5 minutes, or you can easily walk it in 20.

Overall, the offer is extremely good value for money, is convenient for central Bath and it comes with a human face. Owner-managed businesses like this should be massively encouraged. The (more expensive) alternative is the onward march of the soulless automaton budget hotel mega-chains. I know where I would rather stay.

Room Tip: Big twin upstairs is en suite. Two single rooms upstairs share a bathroom - I never found it occupie...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Roger-of-the-Raj

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Great place to stay and excellent value room especially considering how expensive central Bath is. Hostess was a charm. Being a bit further out was not too inconvenient and although we mostly walked it into town (and taxied once) we did get passed by buses. The pub is a local boozer and if you are staying here I'd recommend coming down, sitting at the bar and getting to know some of them!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank rixyf22
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

I was surpised to have read almost 99% good reviews here. Apparently, we had a bad experience during our stay at New Crown Inn. We made a booking directly and didn't go through the online site. Thinking it would be easier if we pAy when we get there. There are photos of the room and toilet shown on the website and decided to stay there. We chose it because we brought our baby with us. But when we got there, they gave us a different room. And said the room(which was in the photo) has already been booked by someone else. We brought a lot of things like prams and luggages and it was so inconvenient for us to carry everything upstairs. We were expecting to stay at the ground floor with the garden but ended up staying upstairs in a small room with so tiny sink and toilet. Beds were springy so it's really noisy when turning while sleeping. Pillows were all old and deformed. The landlady apologised to us and was very polite though. Maybe it's just miscommunication but I'm only writing this to let people know that they have to be clear when booking.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank CutieCarol
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I had the pleasure to stay with penny and kelvin for a few weeks after moving between several local hotels and B & B's. Of all the places that I stayed (including some many times the price), the New Crown was the place that I felt most at home. The fact the room was over a pub put we off at first, but when you're there you rarely hear anything and when you join them downstairs the locals are fantastically friendly! If you do nothing else, pop by and enjoy one of Kelvins freshly made pies, they can only described as awesome!! Next time I need to stay in Bath I won't be going anywhere else!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. The room was good value for money & the access to a traditional English pub was entertaining.
It can be noisy with the patrons from the bar outside the windows of the room using the smoking area.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank BlueAjs
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stayed at the new crown a couple of times when working in Bath. Found the rooms very pleasant with your own fridge (spot on ). Penny and Kelvin who run the place are great hosts and Kelvins burgers are bang on. The price of a room is really cheap for the area and would definately stay here again if im ever back in Bath.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Penny and Kelvin are great ! nothing was to much trouble.When I had to have a change of plan's towards of my stay there were no problem's.The bed was 1 of the most comfortable that I have ever slept in.Having a light breakfast wasn't a problem Penny kept the fridge stocked with milk and having a fridge in my room ment that I could keep bottled water/jucie etc in my room (the fridge was a proper table top 1)
I was never disturbed by the noise of the fridge or the pub downstairs.
The food was lovely and fresh.Going into the pub as a lone lady wasn't a problem the locals were very friendly and when my son joined me for the last few days he got equally warm welcom
If I ever have to stay in the area again.I would stay at the new crown inn without a second thought.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo