“A Chef's Idea Of Heaven (and a little bit more!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Menu Gordon Jones

Menu Gordon Jones
Ranked #3 of 567 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$51 - US$70
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Menu Gordon Jones is all about amazing food, with an element of surprise. All Chef's menus are seasonal, locally sourced and offer real value for money. To really tickle your taste buds try our dishes, all served by our friendly staff in a funky setting.
“A Chef's Idea Of Heaven (and a little bit more!)”
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

As a young chef, when I heared about MGJ I was very excited. Luckily I didnt have to book as I went with a few chef friends who knew Gordon, I however had never met him and did not know what to expect. Whatever pre-conceptions you may have about chef's, Gordon is none of them! He and his waitress (sarah) are very welcoming and chatty, and along with the small venue its almost like having a meal cooked by a private chef in your own home.

As a chef/foodie the meal at MGJ was life-changing. I love the way it's a set menu, it's certainly a more enjoyable dining experiance knowing you have to do nothing but enjoy the company of friends, fellow diners and of course.. Gordon/Sarah. As the menu is ever changing it's a good idea to mention any allergies/dislikes at the time of booking. We had a five-course lunch menu which consisted of a cocoa and cumin bread and a braised red cabbage bread, balsamic and herb oil. Then we were treated to a cauliflower and truffle espuma in a dainty cappuccino cup. The next course was plaice fillet with cod's tounge, it doesn't sound very appetising but it's honestly one of the most flavoursome dishes I have ever and will ever eat, as a chef it's truly inspiring. For a main, we had one of the biggest t-bone steaks i'd ever seen, with all the trimmings it wa delicious. Whilst we were eating our fish course you could see Gordan whisking away in his little kitchen, which turned out to be our dessert, a very fresh blueberry and chocolate souffle, which I have already been trying to re-create in the kitchen!

MGJ is the sort of place you brag about being to, one of the first things I did once we'd left was phone every
chef and family member and tell them my utterly amazing experiance! I highly recommend eating here and will be returning shortly!

Well done gordon, you are a brilliant chef and inspired me, personally more than you could imagine! I truly think that when Michelin do there rounds you'll no doubtedly be recieving one! Keep it up and if you ever need a chef to give you a hand it would be an honour!

2 Thank BathChef

Thornbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I was taken here by my wife for lunch to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I didn't know anything about the arrangement so had no idea what to expect. I'm not a "foodie" - I just like nice food that has been cooked by someone who knows what they are doing. I must admit to being apprehensive when I saw the restaurant as we walked up the road and slightly more apprehensive that there were 14 empty seats when we got in there at 1pm! Luckily, a few other pairs of diners turned up so we didn't feel lonely and we had a good chat with Gordon in the meantime as he was getting things ready in his 'inverse Tardis' of a kitchen. To me, it felt like going round to a friends house for a really nice meal but the friend just happens to be an ace chef!

The photos of the food taken by the other reviewers give a very good idea of the food served. As it was a special occasion for us, we also did the wine flight with each course which was very pleasant [no driving involved as we'd caught the train into Bath Spa]. I have nothing but praise for Gordon. He did an outstanding job of all the dishes we were served and I enjoyed every mouthful. I think the idea of serving a fixed menu of expertly cooked food is fantastic and I have no hesitation in heartily recommending Gordon and his establishment to others.

From a happy "Sassunach" :-)

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank pej02
Bath, United Kingdom
“Life changing”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I'm the sort of bloke who treated food a bit like I treat the petrol for my car. If it was the right stuff and cheap, in it went. Could never understand why people go so excited about food. OK, so I like treacle tarts and lamb, but apart from beetroot i eat anything.
A three line whip for Wifey's birthday took me to MGJ. The food was serious different and unbelieveably good. I was stunned!

So I've been back. But you do have to book, sometimes way ahead if you must have a particular date.

Bath, United Kingdom
“Lesser-mentioned delight: no decisions to make!”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Two of the lesser-mentioned delights of eating here are that (i) you don't have to choose from a menu and (ii) there are, as a result, no envious gazes towards other diners' choices.

After having to make countless decisions each and every day of our lives, it is such a delight to be able to sit back and enjoy the wonderful food that is placed in front of you - you won't realise how good that feels until you try! We also allowed the host to select the wines with each course which meant all we had to do was enjoy our evening.

Knowing that the other diners were sampling the same delights meant no "diner envy" too - instead, you peek glimpses of courses yet to come, and delight in seeing the faces of those about to sample what you have just had.

We went on a Wednesday evening, were amongst the first to arrive and the last to leave, allowing us time to speak with Chef Gordon and host Sarah. The meal was beautifully balanced, well-paced and just enough to fill without over-filling. There are enough quirks about this place to keep you amused all evening, more than enough wonderful food to keep your taste-buds tingling for hours afterwards and, as a test of your willpower, just see if you can stop yourself telling your friends they must go and experience it themselves!

So popular is Menu Gordon Jones that we have already booked again - not once, but twice! Hey, our taste-buds deserve it. So do yours.

1 Thank hunneybell
Newport, United Kingdom
“Every mouthful a delight!”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We first tried booking a table for a Saturday in early May for my birthday, but couldn't book a table until September! We managed to get a Tuesday night, 29 May for our trial run! This place is a winner and a great experience! It is good value, £35 for 6 courses, although they charge £5 each for using a card to pay. The warm home-made bread (a slice of curry bread and another slice of celery bread) along with extra virgin oil and balsamic was a delicious start, followed by a starter of mushroom mousse which was delicious. We then had seagull eggs scrambled, with asparagus and black pudding, etc. The black pudding was to die for! We also had a dish consisting of cod tongue with roasted onion and veg, which may not sound appealing to some, but was really good. Next came lamb with mash and the most delicious cabbage and peas in a creamy spiced sauce! We then had a dish to cleanse our palates, before have a chocolate blackcurrant (?) mouse with ice cream. It was all delicious, every little piece lovingly prepared for ultimate taste! Be prepared to spend up to 3 hours here, eating and watching Gordon the chef preparing each course. He chats along with the "eaters", answering any questions you have and explaining things. The waitress is delightful, and gorgeous as well according to my husband, and I must agree! If you like your pates piled high with chips and meat, etc, this is not the place for you! But for foodies who like to try different things, this is a great experience. Can't wait for our next visit, Gordon you are an up and coming star!

1 Thank jimmilolly