“Lucky to have this restaurant on the doorstep!”
Review of Menu Gordon Jones

Menu Gordon Jones
Ranked #2 of 569 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$52 - US$71
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Menu Gordon Jones is all about amazing food, with an element of surprise. All Chef's menus are seasonal, locally sourced and offer real value for money. To really tickle your taste buds try our dishes, all served by our friendly staff in a funky setting.
Bedfordshire
“Lucky to have this restaurant on the doorstep!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband dropped in when walking past after lunch and managed to get a cancellation for the same evening, so a lovely surprise because we thought we would have to book weeks in advance.
Staff were welcoming and friendly. Because there is no menu and our waiter was very softly spoken we weren't always sure what we were eating, but no matter. It was all delicious, even if one or two of the dishes were a little over spiced for my taste. The rabbit main course was absolutely perfect, however. As each dish was exquisitly presented it almost seemed wrong to eat it, but, hey, that's what we were there for!
An interesting experience and one we will surely repeat as it is so close to home.
As others have mentioned the value is amazing.

• Visited July 2014

Manchester
“Love this place soooo much”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

When I was a kid we used to pass the building that now houses this little restaurant so many times on our way into Bath. Almost 30 years later it's lovely that the Bear Flat now has such a great restaurant.

The very unusual aspect of this place is that there is no choice about what you get to eat. Obviously not a problem for the vast majority and definitely not for me. As I was with an old friend I've forgotten the details of what we had to eat but a few things do stick in my memory - lovely and unusual bread that was part of an intricate first course; beetroot bloody Mary; salmon and popcorn; gizzards, which were far tastier than they sounded; sweetcorn sorbet which was fantastic and the standout single item.

I loved each of the seven courses we were served. Each was beautifully presented; some were fun; each was unusual and none were weird; all demonstrated great skill from the chefs; most importantly all tasted great.

And of course what makes this place so outstanding is that all that wonderful food is going to cost just £50, which makes it superb value.

Have been lucky to eat in some great restaurants and this place genuinely served one of the best meals I've ever eaten.

Booking way ahead is essential and I can't wait to return. It made me think living back in Bath would be a great idea...but then I remembered the dreadful traffic.

• Visited July 2014
Worton, United Kingdom
“Return visit”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We decided to revisit MGJ as our first taste was so good, we booked the week in advance for lunch on a Saturday and were again bowled over by the use of ingredients and flavours. This is an experience you should try if you enjoy being adventurous with your food, excellent value for such a high quality meal.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Steven M
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Who needs a menu?”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

No menu, but who needs it when amazing food is served? Have visited here twice and both meals were a wonderful mixture of exquisite tastes. On both occasions we have tried something new eg taster size belly of veal in a light batter or sweetcorn sorbet. There are 7 courses to the meal and just the correct portion size so that you end the meal feeling pleasantly replete, not bloated. The sommelier recommendations were unexpected, but absolutely right! Indeed, this restaurant has got it absolutely right and as we left the second time we booked ahead for our third visit.

• Visited May 2014
wales
“Excellent and interesting food”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We ate here back in May but I forgot to review it so specifics on what we ate are a bit hazy but I remember excellent food, there is no choice so all may not be what you would normally eat but go with it you won't be disappointed

• Visited May 2014