“Definitely not as good”

Portvcale Lounge
Price range: US$11 - US$27
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Portvcale Lounge, a relaxed and laid back Portuguese restaurant/bar in the centre of the world heritage city of Bath. It's family run and the food is freshly cooked by the mother. Traditional "petiscos" and cataplanas as well as other main dishes like "bacalhau a Bras" or "Frango Piri Piri", followed by a exquisite list of wines from the North, Centre and South of Portugal. Also to try are the different types of Sangria (Red, White and Champagne)and the different freshly baked desserts on offer daily.Come and indulge yourself to one of the oldest gastronomies in the world...the Portuguese.
UK
“Definitely not as good”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

A year ago, this restaurant was great - the staff were attentive, the food tasted like "what Momma would make" and the wine was lovely. The wine is still good. The food is average (not bad but nothing special) but, as other reviews have mentioned, not everything on teh menu is available. The staff seemed more interested in their mates at the bar.
And in small letters above the bar (which cannot be seen from everywhere) is a sign that says they no longer accept credit cards.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank JustMe52

Bath, United Kingdom
“really nice food - but”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

My wife and I visited yesterday, having booked by phone. I have to say that food we had was excellent as was the wine (house), both red and white. We were welcomed and looked after very well.
We were, however, disappointed that major items were missing from the kitchen - like all Steaks and Octopus. I really fancied the house special steak I had seen on the menu.
When we came to pay - the card machine was not in use and that could have been really embarrassing - as it happened I had sufficient cash. Issue here is why not tell me these things when I rang two hours earlier - they did explain that the toilets were down a flight of stairs when I rang!!
Anyway, good food and worth a try.
Phil Edge
It was also fun watching the staff whizz out to buy Rose - maybe for the Steak - Joke

Colorado Springs
“This is where you must eat”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband's friend took us here last night. The tapas were the best I have eaten anywhere, and considering we each ordered 3 plus the sea bass special and the olives, there was quite the sampling of dishes. Let me begin by saying I hate chorizo. With a passion. Until now. The beans with chorizo were incredible. Next time I am ordering a serving just for myself. Guess we were there on a good night for the prawns because they were seasoned just right with the lemon and spices. The red chile stuffed with peppers and cheese was remarkable. We had two types of chicken, one with the pica pica and one with the wine and potatoes. Both were delicious. The mushrooms were delightful--well flavored but not mushy. The clams and calimari were gone in no time. We used the bread to sop up the gravy or cooking broth and the flavors of the seasonings used really shined. The olives in seasoned oil were great. There were at least three different varieties of olives, each with a unique flavor which complimented the oil. We had the white wine/peach sangria which was just right--not too sweet, not too overbearing with fruit. We finished off the evening with the chocolate mousse--a heavier mousse than I'm used to, the consistency was nearly like a creamy flan--and when I had finished I couldn't help myself, I had to use my finger to clean the sides and bottom of the bowl so I could savor every last bit. The prices are very reasonable, and there is a two tapa plus soda special for 8.50 pounds daily. You can't eat at McDonalds for that here. It is a small family owned and operated establishment, and is cash only like many places in Bath. It is a very relaxing experience and Antonio and his mother(who is the chef) are endearing people. Thursday nights there will be live music. It is our new favorite place and we will be back. Often.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Welcoming restaurant with great food”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We ate here on a miserable wet Friday evening and the restaurant was quite quiet probably due to the weather which was a shame as the food was great. We ate 7 different dishes and really enjoyed them all, however if I'm being super critical the King Prawns did lack some flavour. The owner was lovely and made us some cracking cocktails, there wasn't a wine list but the house red was great. Would happily come back here again.

Haren, The Netherlands
“Excellent food in a friendly environment”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We like Spanish tapas and would like to try the Portugese versions. The proprietor advised us the seabass tapas (which was todays special). Indeed it was very good, so were the other dishes we ordered. Staff was very friendly and helpfull. Ambience was ok but nothing special. Otherwise it would have scored excellent. Good value for money.