“Absolutely Wonderful!!!”

West of England Falconry
Ranked #4 of 29 Outdoor Activities in Bath
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Falconry Experiences are by appointment only as we are not open to the public. Please book your experience in advance. Visit our website or phone us for more information. Thank you.
Reviewed 9 September 2012

My husband and I spent an amazing afternoon with Jay and his birds. After a short walk to open fields through a pretty wood we were able to fly Charlie. Having never before been so close to birds of prey, I was a little nervous but Jay was so kind and patient that I soon relaxed and had Charlie swooping down from trees to take food from my hand. Jay explains all the terminology and how to handle the birds correctly and they really respond to his presence. Obviously adored by him, when not flying, they live in clean and spacious aviaries. The idyllic surroundings made it even more wonderful and we really got a sense of the history of falconry. I was really surprised at the different characters all the birds had; Charlie is bold and mischievous, Isis is talkative and clever; Ghost is shy and gentle. We were so happy we discovered West of England Falconry. We have done lots in Bath during our visit but this is definitely one that we will do again when we return. We can't recommend it highly enough - if we could give it ten stars then we would!

Reviewed 27 August 2012

this was a gift from my husband after he had been him self. He new i had never done anything like this in my life and would love it. He was right what a day out i did love it very much. To see them fly at you at great speed then stall to land and take the food from you. Jay is a great teacher and so relaxed, when we got back he let me hold some of his lovey other birds too, we sat and had tea with Jay and talked about our day and about his birds.

Many Thanks Jay

Lee & Paul

Reviewed 6 August 2012

This was a surprise gift for my boyfriend who likes birds of prey. We've been to several places where you can see flying displays, but had never been able to experience the thrill of having a hawk come swooping over the field towards you and land on your hand- exhilirating! Jay is a true expert, relaxed and really easy to get along with, and he provides excellent care for the birds. The birds were real charachters, it was great getting to meet them. Highly commended!

Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is a wonderful way of experiencing falconry first hand! Jay was great... He welcomed us to his home with great conversation and spoke with us about his birds. You could tell he loved what he did. We flew both the Harris Hawks and they were gentle and sweet. Very exciting and what a beautiful day to fly them in! Jay let us hold a couple of his other birds as well... Ghost the Barn Owl and Isis the Kestrel. It was such an awesome experience... I love sharing the pictures with everyone! Anyone close to the city of Bath should definitely book a Hawk Walk with Jay. If I'm ever in the area again I will definitely be giving Jay a call! Thank you Jay! Flying your birds what one of the highlights of my trip! :-)

-Sara & Heidi

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Our 2011 work Christmas do was a surprise trip to West of England Falconry, we had no idea what we were going to be doing until we got there. We met Jay and his birds and went off for a really wonderful couple of hours learning about the birds he keeps and how falconry works! Jay is so knowledgeable and was happy to share all his stories and experience with us. What sets this experience apart from similar "attractions" is that there is no element of "putting on a show". You meet the birds, see them behave like birds and even get a glimpse of their character. It's clear that all Jay's birds are really well cared for and everyone that comes to help him look after them are as enthusiastic and passionate about the birds as he is. A really wonderful experience for anyone of any age!

2  Thank EcoGeorgie