“Standard buffet fare”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Visited with a school group, think it was about £16 each on a Friday night. It didn't seem as though there was quite the variety listed on the website, but an okay selection. We thought the food could have been hotter, it was a way off piping hot. There was unlimited crispy duck, which was nice; overall the food was average but it filled up the students. Not sure I'd visit with my wife or family.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Staff have an awful attitude. They were unhappy that the kids were a little wasteful with food so slammed dishes down and ignored us when we asked questions. We were charged for the 'wasted' food. would have been nice to be warned of this, but regardless, there's no need to be mean to us for something we'd pay for!!

Food issues:
No variety for main courses. Veg was raw. Noodles were plain. No water chestnuts. Pork and duck were mixed for the pancakes. Waitresses took your plate before you were done. Wrong drinks order. Told we weren't allowed ice for our soft drinks.

I won't be going here ever again. Cosmo is much better. I feel insulted and disappointed following that meal, no bargain is worth finishing feeling like that.

2  Thank Han B
lcc4464, General Manager at The Real China, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

i think this customer not tell people the truth ,for the buffet restaurant we offer " ultimate eating" but we don't like food being wasted . we have poster in the window show each customer if waste the food we will charge money per plate . any way our cctv is running . we will keep that for police and will pass that to our group solicitor . we Reserves the right to sue . thanks

Reviewed 7 March 2014

It's only when I left this pitiful restaurant it occurred to me the name is probably actually very offensive to real Chinese people.

Walking in you are greeted with a characterless, drab atmosphere, that should give most people all the info they need to walk straight back out. Whatever you do. don't choose a table
because they will hold that against you later in the night (more on that in a bit). Having been seated I had to go on a man hunt to find the waitress again to order a bottle of wine. With that settled my girlfriend and I moved onto what I can only assume was the food. We tried a few things, desperately looking to give them the benefit of the doubt (or more likely, desperately hoping it would improve). After 15 mins we decided enough was enough, we had barely eaten anything, so I decided to ask for a compromise on the bill...step in customer service 101.

After a stand up row with one manager, she refused to allow me to pay for just one adult. Instead she wanted to me pay for one adult and a child, completely absurd. She denied there was a problem with the food, despite me pointing out the restaurant was empty and needless to say, the other reviews on here! After letting the dust settle, step in manager number two. He again pursued the line of argument, I explained the condition of the restaurant was disgusting, the food was a mile off acceptable and the waiters non existent. I think I was being reasonable as well. Having wondered off in a huff to investigate with his other staff, he then had the cheek to come back, and try to blame us for the table we had chosen to sit at! Forgive me if I am wrong, but if you don't want a customer to sit somewhere, you tell them the table is not available.

Eventually after much debate, they agreed to allow us the reduction on the bill. Common sense would say, if you have an unhappy customer, who has hardly eaten anything, bend over backward to resolve the issue. Had they been nice about it, I probably wouldn't be writing this review!

My advice to anyone looking at this place is to avoid at all costs. Not only is the food a shambles, it seems the management are blind to their own criticism. 10 seconds of scrolling through Trip advisor tells you all you need to know. If only I could have the benefit of hindsight myself!

2  Thank Freddykan

This customer coming dinner time the staff show them table but they don't like it. they change three times by self . finally they sit down in the corner ( that side we already closed because is 10;pm) they can choice a lot table but they won't . then they go to bar said they are not happy don't want pay for meal . we offer him half price ,but they only want pay for drink we call building Security
then they pay for half price so they are no happy .we have some Witnesses and Security can confirm as well . suggest TripAdvisor management think our situation. thanks

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I object to paying adult prices because my children are tall. I dislike salty food and I can't bear seeing signs for food that doesn't exist. Very limited menu. Tasteless food. No satay sauce at lunch time. Really unimpressed. No wonder it wasn't full. I'd heard it had got better but really I see no improvement.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I walked past this place a few times when iv been to the cinema in Bath, so i thought i would give it a go as a treat, as i love asian food. The food was presented well enough, in an all you can eat buffet, but sadly thats as good as it gets. Firstly the chicken wings tasted like they had been bathed in salt and were so tough i gave up eating them. The lemon and sweet and sour sauce had the consistancy of water, and just tasted like they added some jif lemon and vinegar to it. Pretty much all the sauces to the dishes i.e the beef and black bean sauce and pork in chilli sauce were just so watery you couldnt really taste it on the meat, which was so tough. The rice was sticky and clumpy and even the chips didnt taste good, they seemed to be raw in the middle. Sad really as this is in a prime location and if they could improve i feel this could be a real hot spot in Bath.