“The Perfect Stay”

De Montalt Wood
Ranked #67 of 158 Bath B&B and Inns
“The Perfect Stay”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We stayed at Demontalt Wood last weekend for the bank holiday, and even though my fiance and i have travelled extensively in all types of accommodation, this was one of the most memorable stays ever. A totally faultless experience from booking to the moment we left. I cannot praise Ann and Charles enough for their exquisite hospitality, absolutely fantastic breakfast and beautiful home.

For anyone concerned about the distance from Bath, don't be. If you have a car - it's so so easy! I'm sure it's easy by public transport too - you'd have to look closer into that - or a taxi wouldn't be too expensive i'm sure. Either way, I wouldn't let it put you off!

We'll be visiting again in the very near future!

Room Tip: Both rooms are wonderful. Stay in the Tulip room if you would like a larger room. Both are wonderful...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

First of all for the people who are reading this who just want a quick opinion - GO THERE YOU WONT REGRET IT.

Secondly the more detailed review, (Charles/Ann) this is Chris writing FYI.

My amazing girlfriend booking this place for my 30th birthday, I knew I was going to Bath but had no idea just the kind of place that I was being taken to, we drove up to this large house through a set of brick pillars, my girlfriend mentioned en-route that the owners would have the kettle on when we got there (she wasn't wrong). We were welcomed by a polite and charming Charles who showed us our room which was incredible then once we had finished with the room tour he asked if we had time for "Tea" before dinner (the restaurant where we ate dinner Charles recommended and booked prior to our stay) Tea consisted of a pot of any Tea or Coffee of our choice along with sandwiches and handmade cakes (Ann even put a candle in one of them for me, which was a nice touch), Charles also spoke to us about places to go and restaurants to eat at (he does have impeccable taste) so we went about our day then came down for breakfast the next morning, walked into the room and we we met by a plethora of goodies (freshly made smoothies, figs, yogurt, grapes, cereal, fresh juice, tea) and thats before we get to the hot food. My partner and I have a penchant for smoked salmon so naturally we both chose it from the menu however I have an allergy to egg yolk so Charles was more than accommodating when I asked for egg white only, he came back from the Kitchen a few minutes later to say that Ann had suggested that she make me an egg white omelette instead which I was very happy about as thats my breakfast of choice, it was incredible, best ever, all this whilst talking to Charles and having a mutual bonding over good watches amongst other things (Charles, I will send you a picture when I get it back)

Usually I have no need or desire to write reviews and you may think I am rambling but I don't care, I feel a compulsion to tell everyone just how great this place is and how great Charles and Ann are, you made my 30th birthday memorable, this review seems trivial in comparison to the memories.

I cannot convey my thanks highly enough, Thank you.

Chris and Hannah

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

My wife and I stayed with Charles and Ann for two nights. It was simply the best B & B experience possible.

Upon arrival Ann and Charles befriended us over a wine and nibbles. Charles was the perfect host answering all our touristy questions whilst Ann worked in the background making the experience just perfect.

It's the attention to detail and the small things Ann and Charles do for their guests that makes this B & B just so special. The home stewed plums with your breakfast cereal. The portobello mushrooms seasoned by Ann to perfection!

Don't even get us started on the bed! At the end of our stay my wife and I just couldn't help asking Ann where she purchased it. It was like sleeping on a cloud.

We had Hollies room and the bathroom across the hall is no bother at all. In fact the bathroom was also amazing. Spotless and smelt fantastic. Another example of Ann's attention to detail.

We really enjoyed the location. It was 5-7 minutes drive into Bath and being just outside the city meant that we jump in and out of Bath to the countryside as we liked. On our first night Charles recommended a great local pub a mile down the road. The food and service was great.

Ann and Charles we thank you for making our stay in Bath perfect.

Room Tip: Hollies room was large and full of light. The bathroom across the hall is not an issue.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stuneeta
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We had a fantastic time in Bath and a big part of that was down to staying here. From the minute we arrived Charles was warm and welcoming, and even drove us into Bath in search of a late dinner. The breakfast was delicious (the poached eggs especially) and the room was one of the nicest we've stayed in - a huge comfortable bed and every facility you could ask for. There's also the option to sit by a log fire in the living room, with lovely tea and excellent homemade cakes. All in all we couldn't have asked for better, and look forward to staying again.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
peregrinans, Owner at De Montalt Wood, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Thank you so much, Aoife D, for taking the time so send such a lovely review.

It is easy looking after people when they are so enthusiastic and appreciative. It was a pleasure having you to stay with us and we very much hope we shall see you again.

I am glad you enjoyed your "scenic route" walk into Bath despite the bitter cold. Just imagine how much nicer it would be when Spring has actually Sprung!
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Where to begin! Charles and Ann have the ability to make a lovely weekend in Bath, magical and they did just this for us. Even before we arrived, they had spent time and effort emailing helpful tips and answers to my many questions. We were greeted with warmth and care and shown to the fantastic bedroom. The room is beautifully appointed and the attention to detail is second to none. The tea tray has to be the best we have ever experienced and myself and partner have travelled lots for work and been lucky enough to stay in some top hotels around the world, but Ann and Charles tea tray is the best we have seen, with tasty homemade delights. I could go on, but I fear it would take away some of the surprise for a potential guest. The final thing to mention has to be the breakfast. To my shame I am the fussiest egg eater one could hope to meet. However the smoked salmon and scrambled were perfection as was the whole breakfast experience, not a thing was missed and we poured over breakfast for over an hour and a half. If you are looking for something special, you have found the very place. Thank you to Charles and Ann for providing the very best bed and breakfast experience we could have hoped for...and for the yummy homemade shortbread for our journey home

Room Tip: One room has en-suite, we had the private bathroom, but it is just a step across the corridor and yo...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2013

My partner and I were having a weekend break and found this place simply by chance. We received a very warm welcome into Charles and Anna's home and were immediately invited down for homemade cake and tea in their sitting room. The room was beautifully decorated and the bathroom was fantastically maintained. The breakfast was amazing and one that will certainly set you up for the day, with homemade smoothies too. Charles kindly offered us maps of the town and suggested lovely places to eat, and even the best places to park the car! We happened to go down the weekend of the Christmas market and consequently did not manage to see everything we would have liked, but we shall certainly be staying at De Montalt Wood again to complete our tour of Bath as we were very sad to leave.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol
Reviewed 27 December 2012

A real delight to return to this beautiful house at Christmas time. Our room this time was the large & luxurious en-suite Tulip room, with sweeping views over the gardens and surrounding wooded valleys, where we enjoyed a good long winter walk when we arrived.

The room was perfectly appointed and elegantly furnished with a huge bed, flat screen tv etc, and the bathroom is the height of classical style with every luxury offered from the heated flooring, double sinks, floor to ceiling mirror and expensive toiletries.

The breakfasts are among the finest I've enjoyed - smoked salmon, rustic bread, fresh coffee, and the hospitality was as generous and welcoming as ever.

Thank you both very much indeed - we're already looking forward to next time!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple