“Faultless in every way”

and 1 more site!
De Montalt Wood
Ranked #63 of 155 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We spent one night here and cannot recommend it highly enough. The house, gardens and rooms are beautiful, creating an elegant and relaxing atmosphere. The room we stayed in was lovely and breakfast was delicious. Charles and Ann are a very welcoming and charming couple who made our stay such a pleasant one.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Yes it is true, it needs the the "Lamp post number 9" to find this hidden gem in the hills above Bath. And it is better to look carefully out for this landmark which leads to the wonderful house of Charles and Ann. We - two couples - enjoyed in June two nights in the beautiful furnished rooms, spacious, luxurious bathrooms and started our days with a perfectly cooked breakfast. Charles and Ann are extremely helpful and knowledgeable hosts, knowing the best places to see and also most important where to eat excellent food. So look out for the lamp post number 9, it would be a pity not to find this extraordinary welcoming home.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2013

One line review - very special and difficult to better.

We stayed two nights and others have already commented on the greeting (we had wine), the amazing room (tulip), the bathroom and smellies (top notch), the garden and utter calm (broken only by a wood pecker!), so I won't dwell there. And they've also mentioned the breakfast, which i honestly rate as the best I've eaten, any where (thank you once again, Ann).
But I will tell you about Charles who does 'front of house' with style and wit (I think Ann chose wisely). Through him we paid nothing for parking in Bath (impossible?), found the hidden carp lake, cycled traffic free into the city (directly beneath Charles in an old mile long rail tunnel! http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/uk/tunnel-vision-for-bath-8569400.html ) and found the best coffee in Bath.
One small point. The pics on Tripadvisor are not the best. The real thing is much better.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We stayed at Demontalt Wood last weekend for the bank holiday, and even though my fiance and i have travelled extensively in all types of accommodation, this was one of the most memorable stays ever. A totally faultless experience from booking to the moment we left. I cannot praise Ann and Charles enough for their exquisite hospitality, absolutely fantastic breakfast and beautiful home.

For anyone concerned about the distance from Bath, don't be. If you have a car - it's so so easy! I'm sure it's easy by public transport too - you'd have to look closer into that - or a taxi wouldn't be too expensive i'm sure. Either way, I wouldn't let it put you off!

We'll be visiting again in the very near future!

Room Tip: Both rooms are wonderful. Stay in the Tulip room if you would like a larger room. Both are wonderful...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

First of all for the people who are reading this who just want a quick opinion - GO THERE YOU WONT REGRET IT.

Secondly the more detailed review, (Charles/Ann) this is Chris writing FYI.

My amazing girlfriend booking this place for my 30th birthday, I knew I was going to Bath but had no idea just the kind of place that I was being taken to, we drove up to this large house through a set of brick pillars, my girlfriend mentioned en-route that the owners would have the kettle on when we got there (she wasn't wrong). We were welcomed by a polite and charming Charles who showed us our room which was incredible then once we had finished with the room tour he asked if we had time for "Tea" before dinner (the restaurant where we ate dinner Charles recommended and booked prior to our stay) Tea consisted of a pot of any Tea or Coffee of our choice along with sandwiches and handmade cakes (Ann even put a candle in one of them for me, which was a nice touch), Charles also spoke to us about places to go and restaurants to eat at (he does have impeccable taste) so we went about our day then came down for breakfast the next morning, walked into the room and we we met by a plethora of goodies (freshly made smoothies, figs, yogurt, grapes, cereal, fresh juice, tea) and thats before we get to the hot food. My partner and I have a penchant for smoked salmon so naturally we both chose it from the menu however I have an allergy to egg yolk so Charles was more than accommodating when I asked for egg white only, he came back from the Kitchen a few minutes later to say that Ann had suggested that she make me an egg white omelette instead which I was very happy about as thats my breakfast of choice, it was incredible, best ever, all this whilst talking to Charles and having a mutual bonding over good watches amongst other things (Charles, I will send you a picture when I get it back)

Usually I have no need or desire to write reviews and you may think I am rambling but I don't care, I feel a compulsion to tell everyone just how great this place is and how great Charles and Ann are, you made my 30th birthday memorable, this review seems trivial in comparison to the memories.

I cannot convey my thanks highly enough, Thank you.

Chris and Hannah

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2013

My wife and I stayed with Charles and Ann for two nights. It was simply the best B & B experience possible.

Upon arrival Ann and Charles befriended us over a wine and nibbles. Charles was the perfect host answering all our touristy questions whilst Ann worked in the background making the experience just perfect.

It's the attention to detail and the small things Ann and Charles do for their guests that makes this B & B just so special. The home stewed plums with your breakfast cereal. The portobello mushrooms seasoned by Ann to perfection!

Don't even get us started on the bed! At the end of our stay my wife and I just couldn't help asking Ann where she purchased it. It was like sleeping on a cloud.

We had Hollies room and the bathroom across the hall is no bother at all. In fact the bathroom was also amazing. Spotless and smelt fantastic. Another example of Ann's attention to detail.

We really enjoyed the location. It was 5-7 minutes drive into Bath and being just outside the city meant that we jump in and out of Bath to the countryside as we liked. On our first night Charles recommended a great local pub a mile down the road. The food and service was great.

Ann and Charles we thank you for making our stay in Bath perfect.

Room Tip: Hollies room was large and full of light. The bathroom across the hall is not an issue.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuneeta
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We had a fantastic time in Bath and a big part of that was down to staying here. From the minute we arrived Charles was warm and welcoming, and even drove us into Bath in search of a late dinner. The breakfast was delicious (the poached eggs especially) and the room was one of the nicest we've stayed in - a huge comfortable bed and every facility you could ask for. There's also the option to sit by a log fire in the living room, with lovely tea and excellent homemade cakes. All in all we couldn't have asked for better, and look forward to staying again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
peregrinans, Owner at De Montalt Wood, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Thank you so much, Aoife D, for taking the time so send such a lovely review.

It is easy looking after people when they are so enthusiastic and appreciative. It was a pleasure having you to stay with us and we very much hope we shall see you again.

I am glad you enjoyed your "scenic route" walk into Bath despite the bitter cold. Just imagine how much nicer it would be when Spring has actually Sprung!