“Poor quality rooms, tiny t.v.”

Holiday Inn Express Bath
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Bath
London, United Kingdom
“Poor quality rooms, tiny t.v.”
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I always thought Holidays Inns were a cut above Travelodge but our room was exactly like a bad Travelodge room and the tv was tiny and too far from the bed to be able to watch properly, and no sofa. We were also given a room that was specifically designed for a disabled person, it reminded me of the hospital I work in ALL WEEK with disabled people, I went to reception to tell them that I was on a romantic night away from my work, but they said there was nothing they could do.....I won't ever book a Holiday Inn again after this. The hotel looks great from the outside and the reception is fairly plush. Very dissapointing.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jmarie1349
BathDeputyManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you writing a review regarding your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Bath; we appreciate all feedback as this helps us improve our guests stay.

As discussed with one of my colleagues during your stay, at Holiday Inn Express we have standard rooms, which we do state we will do our best to allocate rooms as requested, please accept my apologies that this particular room type did not meet your needs. We do advise that specific room types are booked as you will be guaranteed that room type.

Thank you again I hope we are able to welcome you back in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Lisa Franklin
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2011

This hotel was booked for me by my employers as I was attending a conference in Bath.

Checking in was straight forward and the staff were helpfull, although they did try and charge some of my colleagues for the rooms which had already been paid for.

The rooms are of the no frills basic type, which was expected. However, breakfast was a nightmare. There aren't enough tables to accomodate all the guests. You had to watch for a table to become vacant and then make a dash for it. They were all littered with trays, crockery and food debris.

The cooked breakfast was very basic and consisted of sausages and scrambled egg - that was it, not even bacon!! The croisants were perhaps the worst I've ever eaten. Someone had tipped orange juice into the cutlery tray and no one had cleaned it.

The only edible item was the yoghurt.

Trying to get from my room back to reception to check out was like attempting an obstacle course, the corridors were congested with cleaners wagons and children playing. Admittedly it was half term and the hotel was full of families, which is perhaps the clientelle this hotel best suits, it is definatley not one for business people.

I was glad my stay was only for the one night. I am a regular visitor to Bath and this is a hotel I will avoid in the future.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank scarlet_gl0betr0tter
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Excellent greeting at reception and was checked in with no fuss and given information about the locality, the attractions and how to get there. The hotel is ideally located with the centre being about a 10 minute walk away. There are enough amenities close by such as a supermarket and some food outlets, but there are more than enough places to eat in Bath as well!

I stay in a lot of IHG hotels around the country and this is one of the best Express hotels I have come across in terms of service, friendliness, cleanliness and location. I can see why it was pretty much fully booked up throughout our stay. I would definitely recommend it; non-smoking throughout, child and pet friendly and free Wi-fi in public areas. Parking is £4.50 per night, which isn't bad considering how other hotels ramp up these prices. Arguably, it should be free, but you can't have everything!

1 Thank Crouching_Hippo
Reviewed 23 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The staff were great and nothing was too much trouble. A shame you have to pay for the car park but I guess that is a sign of the times. We were in room 117 which was at the back of the hotel and very quier. My husband was disappointed there was no bath only a shower as he does like to have a nice soak after a hard day's sightseeing! Breakfast was okay but the food and drink is situated in a very confined space so there is not much room to manouevre.
Bath is a great place to visit and we also visited Wells and Chedddar Gorge. All in all a pleasant short break for us.

1 Thank Lorry1957
Sydney
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Room was comfortable and clean. Bathroom was a good size and clean. Breakfast was included and had a good variety of food. Staff were polite and helpful. 2 minute walk from a large Sainsburys. Nice walking distance from local attractions. Plenty of parking. Provided a mircowave for hotel guests to use near the reception. Only problem was our TV was flicker every now and then, but that would be my only complaint.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank SpidaWoman
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Have stayed at Holiday Inns Express before and this was the usual high standard. Room was spotless, bed comfortable and the reception staff were friendly and helpful.
Parking was extra (£4.50) but well worth it as car park was secure.
Only gripe was the bar prices - we had 2 small glasses of wine (one house white) and this cost just short of £10.00.

2 Thank Alyson_16
Alaska
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We booked this hotel since we were familiar with this hotel chain. The price was fair and the room were clean and comfortable for my family of four. The hotel is about 5-10 minute walk to the Bath centre, but the walk is quite nice since you're passing stores, shops and side street vendors. The Roman bath is excellent and the city itself is beautiful. The breakfast was decent in the morning and the reception was friendly. I can't really complaint. It wasn't grand or over the top but we did get some good night sleep to prepare us for the city tour the following day.

Room Tip: Parking is 3 pounds.