“Good Budget option for Bath, a short walk from the centre”

Holiday Inn Express Bath
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Stayed here when visiting Bath some five years ago and had a decent couple of nights. So decided to utilise it again for an overnighter just before Christmas to coincide with my local rugby teams’ away game at The Rec.
Again , not disappointed.

The positives:
Friendly and informative service on the reception desk.
Well equipped comfortable and quiet room.
Decent enough location with a 10 -15 minute stroll required to get to the centre of Bath.
The Negatives:
Like most holiday Inn Expresses the breakfast bar area is woefully inadequate in size for the number of guests that stay. At least they do now warn you (or at least they do in the Priority club members welcome pack) that 9.30 to 11.00AM on a weekend does get very busy. By which they mean trying to get a cup of tea and a croissant is not dissimilar to a rolling maul as witnessed at the Rec the previous day. In saying that , the food quality was good and the breakfast staff were trying their hardest to keep things topped up and tables cleared.
The depends on your point of view:
Yes they do charge you £6 for overnight parking, and I can understand why people see this as a negative. However that charge covers you from whatever time you arrive up to 4.00PM on the following day. So if you arrive as early as we did on the first morning , then that’s virtually two days parking, for which you will pay significantly more in the Bath City Centre car parks. And frankly Bath is a wonderful City, but certainly not pleasurable to drive around. So better to leave the car in the hotel and explore on foot.

As others have mentioned it takes about 15 minutes to get into central Bath from the hotel, and whereas the first section is not too promising as you have to cut across the Sainsburys Petrol forecourt and the Homebase car park, but the former metal Victorian train bridge gets you into the Old Green Street Rail station site, which on a weekend is now a bustling, slightly bohemian market, and the Coffee shop now housed in the Old station waiting room is a good first stop before tackling the rest of Bath.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
BathDeputyManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed comments regarding your stay in December. I am glad to see you chose to stay with us again, we do appreciate guests have a wide choice of hotels and guesthouses available, and we are delighted we were able to welcome you again.

I have passed on your kind comments regarding our staff. As can be seen from most of our reviews, our team are very knowledgeable, and always happy to help.

I noticed you managed to take full advantage of our complimentary Express Start breakfast. As you mentioned, it is very popular, particularly on the weekends, but we do our best to warn guests in advance of what we anticipate will be the busiest time, so that our guests have the option to come down during a quieter time. However, we have a team of hard-working Breakfast Assistants who do their best to ensure the breakfast area is continuously stocked up and tidy.

I am glad to read you found our car parking charges reasonable compared to the length of time we allow guests to use our car park. We do feel we have kept this to a minimum, especially compared to the car parks in the city centre.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review, and I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Bath

Reviewed 29 December 2012

My fiance had treated me to the week in Bath just before Christmas. Bath is my fave city so was looking forward to hitting all of my fave shops!!! After just two days I fell ill with the dreaded Norovirus (i did not pick this up at the hotel) and was very poorly. Naturally the only place you want to be is at home, but that was just not a possibility. We rang down to reception and Laura was very helpful. I requested that she wear a mask and gloves before she entered our room. She cleaned where i had been ill and brought whatever we needed. This involved plenty of chilled water, Dioralyte (which had been especially bought from a chemist) and hand sanitiser. The staff made the rest of my stay as comfortable as possible and nothing was too much trouble. Even switching off the air con and extra bed changing. Not quite the stay I had in mind.... but at this busy time of year the staff were very professional and were more concerned about our health than anything else. The hotel was absolutely spotless, our only gripe is the £6 a night charge for parking on their car park.

Room Tip: Not sure, but the hotel is not on a noisy route and we found it very quiet and we were on the first...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
BathDeputyManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Bath.

I am pleased to hear you are feeling better after such a disappointing time becoming ill during your Christmas break away. I have passed on your kind comments about Laura who is thrilled she could be of assistance, we are very proud of each team member and are overjoyed when they are recognised for their dedication and hard work. As you have mentioned we will go above and beyond to help in anyway especially when struck down with illness.

I hope we are able to welcome you back in the future to revisit your break away to your favourite city.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Booked this hotel for Xmas Eve and Xmas Day and found it excellent for price (cheaper than Travel Lodge) and in a good location. It was a bit of a walk into town but no more than around 15 minutes. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff friendly. The breakfast was fairly basic but did include cooked items (beans, scrambled egg, sausages) some other hotels were room only. We walked to a couple of real ale pubs close by and Xmas Eve ate in a curry house on the estate round the back of the hotel. I suppose I should mention the £6 per night parking but it was on site and didn't seem excessive for Bath. So over all a good experience and if I visited Bath again would definitely consider it.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

We had 2 nights during the Oct half term at this HE. The room was clean and tidy though smallish for two adults and a 14 year old. The reception / breakfast area is functional, airy and light. The breakfast was uninspiring. The hotel is a good walk from the centre of Bath and you do not see the best of Bath on the way however Bath itself is Fantastic. There is a nice looking indian retaurant across the road ( untried ) but otherwise the hotel is not situated in a cafe culture type area. All in all what we expected and if I was on a budget I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we value all feedback to ensure we are delivering the best possible services.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, and found our rooms to be clean; our housekeeping staff take great pride in keeping cleanliness levels to a high standard and will be thrilled with your comments.

It is also pleasing to hear you were able to visit our beautiful historical city and appreciate all the wonderful sights it has to offer.

Thank you for your comments.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 16 December 2012

Lovely Hotel a good walk to the centre of Bath though! You have to be fit. The staff were friendly & helpful rooms were clean & the beds were very comfortable. There wasn't a lot of choice for breakfast but it was ok!

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor & we never heard a thing!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
BathDeputyManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your stay with us.

I am glad to hear you found our rooms to be clean, and our beds to be comfortable. Our reception and housekeeping teams work hard to ensure they deliver the highest possible standards, and it is lovely to see this has not gone unnoticed.

Thank you for your comments regarding our complimentary Express Start breakfast. As a Holiday Inn Express, our brand standard is to provide a light continental buffet with a small selection of hot options, and I am glad to see you were able to take advantage of this during your stay.

Once again, thank you for comments, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 December 2012

I stayed for two nights with friends but unfortunately would not rush to stay here again. The reception staff were really nice and helpful and they were the best thing about the hotel. The room itself was very clean and provided the basics you would expect, but this is very definitely a 'no frills' kind of place. I couldn't make tea in the room as the tap water was foul. The lighting was also not ideal in the. The breakfast was like a major bun fight - bottleneck at the food counters due to the poor design layout where hot drinks, cereal and toast were all fighting for space. The breakfast itself was poor. poor quality, we went down half an hour before close and some things had run out, I was really not impressed. I and my friends stay quite often for short breaks in Bath, all charging a similar price to this and all of them have been better. The last straw for me was charging for the car park which I could accept if it was closer to the actual town centre but a bit of a cheek for the location. All in all some good points but really wouldn't stay here again, there's far too many better hotels for the money.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We always welcome all guest feedback so that we can identify areas that we have excelled in, and areas that leave room for improvement.

I have passed on your very kind comments regarding our staff in our recent team meeting, thank you for mentioning this.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your complimentary Express Start breakfast with us. Most of our guests tend to come down towards the end of our breakfast, which sometimes does cause a slight delay in getting through the buffet area. However, our staff members do their utmost to ensure all items are stocked up throughout the entire breakfast period, and always welcome a gentle reminder in case we have missed something.

As you mentioned, we do indeed apply a small charge for the use of our car park. However, at £6 for over 24 hours we do feel we keep this at a minimum, especially compared to other car parks in Bath.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 13 December 2012

Helpful reception staff. Checked in quickly. Room very clean/shower etc. View from room not very good but didnt mind we were only staying for two nights. Very busy at breakfast time, the food was ok (except the sausages, they were awful) Would definately stay again, within good walking distance of Bath town with lots of lovely shops, bars, restaurants and sightseeing. Definately a town to visit. We met a lovely couple whilst visiting whom we still keep in touch with.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on your stay with us back in August.

I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay and found our staff to be helpful. Most of our reviews comment on how our team members made a positive impact on our guest’s stay, and it always gives me great pleasure to pass these comments on to them.

As you mentioned, our complimentary Express Start breakfast is indeed quite popular with our guests, especially in peak season, but it is one of the main areas we focus on to ensure guests can make the most of this during their stay.

Once again, thank you for comments, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.