“nice stay but”

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Bath
hastings
“nice stay but”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Recently returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel, could not fault the service or staff, however when you pay for your parking you expect some security with regards to your car, when driving home we had a fault on our car when we took it to our garage they informed us that someone had tried to false open the bonnet and damage caused damage to grill and radiator, we know the car was not in this condition as it had recently passed its MOT, due to this would not use this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank seashoreHastings
BathDeputyManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. Thanks to these kinds of feedback we are able to ensure the service we deliver meets or exceeds our guests’ standards and expectations.

I am so sorry to hear about what happened with your car whilst you were in Bath. Our guests’ safety and sense of security is of paramount importance to us, and although all vehicles in our car park are left at the owner’s risk, we do endeavour to make our car park as secure as possible. Our car park is fitted with CCTV, which records at all hours, so we would welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly so we can investigate this matter. As you can imagine, unless guests inform us of any issues during their stay, we are unable to act on them and help prevent them from happening again.

Again, I would like to thank you for sharing your comments, and would like to ask you to contact me on deputy@expressbath.co.uk so I can look into this matter for you.

Lisa Franklin
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
East Midlands
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a two night break. Found the staff to be friendly and helpful, with check in done quickly and efficiently. Whenever we subsequently spoke to front desk staff, we found them to be helpful and friendly.

The room itself was fine for what we needed. But most importantly it was clean. Found that the heating occasionally threw out a coldish blast of air even when set to the highest temperature. Other times it would mysteriously turn itself off. Not too big an issue as we just had to switch it back on.

The location means that it is a 10 minute walk to the centre, but not too onerous unless you have mobility problems.

Breakfast is more than adequate albeit they don't offer a full English as such for those people that like this menu choice.

It is clearly signposted by the hotel when booking, but potential guests should be aware that parking at the hotel is charged at £6 per night. Given Bath is a major tourist destination I don't think this is too unreasonable compared to hotel parking charges in other cities.

Although feeling that the cost of the room is slightly overvalued in terms of what you get compared to a room in the same chain at another location, you need to bear in mind that this is a major tourist destination and therefore all hotels can probably get away with charging a small premium.

I would happily book this again.

• Stayed February 2013
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to find you found our staff to be helpful and pleasant. Both our reception and housekeeping teams do their utmost to ensure they are delivering a high standard of service, thus making your stay more enjoyable.

As you mentioned, we do apply a small charge for the use of our car park, but as you mentioned, Bath is a very popular city with very limited parking. We are very lucky to be able to offer this facility to our guests, and feel that we have tried to keep the charge at a minimum, especially compared to other hotels in the city centre.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to post your review, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel on Friday night as a birthday treat for me. The staff on reception and bar were the most friendliest and helpful staff that I have encountered in a British hotel. The room was spacious, clean and a good size TV. We will definitely be staying here on our next visit.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments. I am pleased to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful. I will pass on these comments to the staff, as I am sure they also will be very pleased to hear this.

Our maintenance and housekeeping staff work very hard to keep the rooms up to the highest standards possible, and recently new flat screen TVs added as well as new sofa beds and mattresses, so I am happy you found the room to meet your requirements.

Thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

I booked the hotel for my wife's 40th Birthday weekend. We stayed 3 nights and wasn't dissatisfied in any way from the friendlyness of the staff, service, cleanness and comfyness of the room . Great central location, would definitely stay again.
A big special thanks to the 2 Laura's who made our stay even more special.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am happy to hear that you found the staff friendly and I will certainly pass on your comments to Laura and Laura. I know they will be pleased to hear they made such a positive impact on your stay.

Our housekeeping team work extremely hard to maintain the cleanliness of the bedrooms so I am pleased to hear that you found them to meet the correct standard.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review, and we hope to see you in the future.

Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Check in was quick and the staff were pleasant and helpful. I had a double room which was a good size and very clean, everthing you need. I prefer to have a bath in a hotel room but I wasn't that bothered. My only gripe was I awoke in the night and needed some water. I went to reception as they have a small kiosk in the recetion area and a bar. It was closed so I asked the chap on reception if there was anywhere I could buy water and he asked a lady if the kiosk was locked and she mumbled something and he pointed and she would help. She walked off and then saw me waiting, huffed and stomped back, looked like I'd asked for first born child....Bit off I thought. Breakfast buffet was fine. I went down early and brought breakfast back to my room. Later on I saw the que was very long and the place was packed so I'd say go early. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express in Bath. I am pleased to see you have enjoyed your stay, and have passed on your kind comments regarding the rooms to our housekeeping team.

As should be evident from the many reviews we receive regarding our staff members, on the whole I am proud to be part of a team that consistently strives to deliver excellent customer service. Therefore, I was surprised and disappointed to see the way you described the attitude of our night staff. I hope I can assure you that all staff members are trained and encouraged to do anything within their powers to ensure our guests have a comfortable and positive stay, and I apologise that on this occasion we have fallen short, and we will certainly address this matter internally.

Thank you again for posting your honest review, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Kind regards,

United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We had an overnight stay at this hotel. Location is great and generally we were very happy with the hotel. What let it down is the lack of customer service. The wi-fi in the room is chargeable which is fine however it didn't work so I had to call up Airangel who sorted the problem out but in a way which meant I could only use my laptop and no other devices which wasn't ideal. I also booked a double and a twin rooms. However we got two twins. I mentioned these two issues when checking out and was given an off hand response - I should take it up with Airangel direct about the wi-fi and because I went through Booking.com (the only way I could book the hotel) I wasn't guaranteed my choice of room. Whilst both responses were fine it was the manner in which it was conveyed by the reception staff. It may be worth training the staff to offer their advice in a more 'customer friendly' manner rather than 'tough luck'. I wouldn't book this hotel again and have been put off Holiday Inn Expresses by this experience.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We always welcome all guest feedback, as this enables us to continuously monitor and improve the service we provide to our guests.

I am sorry to hear you encountered difficulties with the WiFi in your room. As my colleague explained on check out, the wireless Internet throughout the hotel is provided by Airangel. Therefore, unfortunately we are limited in what we at the hotel can do to assist guests that are experiencing difficulties with the service. We are always happy to contact Airangel for you and help you get connected, but we have very little influence on the technical side of things. That being said, I will certainly take your comments on board, as normally the wireless service should be valid on up to two devices.

With regards to the room types you had booked, unfortunately my colleague was correct in explaining that certain third party bookings do not offer guaranteed room types. Therefore, if you were to book through one of these parties, such as Booking.com, the room types you select during the booking process are a preference only. Although we always make every effort to try to accommodate guests in the room type of their preference, unfortunately there are instances where this is not possible. For this reason, we always recommend with the hotel direct, as the room types are guaranteed, and you will also qualify for our lowest rate guarantee.

I am sorry you felt that the customer service you received on this occasion did not meet your standards. I hope I can assure you that our staff members are trained to and encouraged to resolve situations when they arise, but unfortunately there are some things that are simply out of our control.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review.

Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

i booked a 1 night stay here for a birthday treat so we could both drink and have a good time. checked in quickly, the staff werre polite and helpful.

our room was on the top floor overllooking the carpark and entrance. i didn't find this a problem although i might have done if i was on the first floor as this is where the smokers congreate for their drug habits.

the otherside of the hotel does indeed over look a cemetary i wouldn't have minded this, at least these neightbours are quiet!!

the breakfast was busy and a little chaotic as the hotel seemed full. the food was plentiful. it is described as continental but in fat its continental plus as there is cooked sausage beans and scrambled egg. all in all a good and adequate breakfast.

there is a little road noise but then you quite central in a busy congested city. so what do you expect.

overall i would stay again.

Room Tip: ask for a room farthest away from the road and top floor.