“Poor breakfast”

Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Hampshire
“Poor breakfast”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Lot of money for a small room and a poor breakfast. On offer from the hotplate - baked beans and scrambled egg (tasted like powdered) and frankfurter type sausages and the cheapest possible sliced bread. Didn't fancy any of it.
You have to pay for parking so beware. They don't always mention it at reception.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank May001
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 9 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

Unfortunately, as Bath attracts a large number of tourists throughout the year, due to it being such a beautiful, historic city, the demand for hotels is extremely high. This then in turn effects our rates, which are competitive with other hotels throughout Bath.

I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy our complimentary, continental, express start buffet breakfast. We do try to cater for all of our guests individual tastes by providing a wide selection of both the continental options, and the cooked options. Unfortunately, due to our brand standards, and that we are a Express hotel, and not full service, we are unable to provide further cooked items.

As you mentioned, guests do have to pay for the use of the car park. This is at £8 per vehicle, per night and the car is valid in the car park until 4pm on the day of departure. We do try to warn all of our guests upon check in that the car park is chargeable, when guests come to register their vehicle registration number into the terminal on the reception desk, it does mention the charge on there also.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review, it is reviews such as yours, which enables us to see how we are doing and what areas we can improve on in the future.

Lauren Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on business and with all other HI express hotels I have stayed in this was comfortable clean and fairly new. Staff were great, friendly and helpful. Will be back on my next trip to bath.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 8 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so glad to hear that you found the room to be comfortable and clean. Our housekeeping team work extremely hard throughout the hotel to maintain the cleanliness and comfort for our guests.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, they do go above and beyond with their customer service, and take great pride in doing so.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Stayed 3 nights (adult, 11,10, 10) here while visiting Bath, Stonehenge, Avebury. Room was well maintained and aircon worked well. It was great to find somewhere with wifi included throughout the hotel without any extra fee. The included breakfast was good quality with a nice range. Being a baconaholic, our only gripe was the lack of bacon. After working out which way to go, the walk into town was no trouble. Sainsburys grocery store nearby also.

• Stayed September 2013
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 6 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am glad you found the room to meet your requirements and that you took advantage of the complimentary WIFI available throughout the hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed the continental, express start buffet breakfast. This does prove to be very popular with our guests. Unfortunately, as we are not a full service hotel and due to our brand standards, we are unable to offer bacon. However, we do offer the three hot options of Sausage, Scrambled Egg and Baked Beans as well as the continental food.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Bath and thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I booked for 4 people, in 1 family room, however I feel the room was not big enough for 1 double bed and 1 double sofabed. There was virtually no floorspace in the room. We only stayed for 1 night, if it had of been more I would have booked an extra room. The room itself was well equipped with an adequate bathroom. The sofa bed was awful to sleep on, with the iron sides protruding. The staff was friendly and efficient, and the breakfast was nice. There is parking for cars for a fee. The location is only 5-10mins by car to the center of Bath, with a local shopping center nearby. Noise level in the hotel was quiet. The room rate was very good, as we had booked months in advance.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 5 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear that you found the room to be too small. Unfortunately, all of our rooms throughout the hotel are the same size. When the sofa bed is made up in the room, it can give guests limited space, we do try to advise our guests when they make the reservation that if they have a lot of luggage or are staying for more than one night, it can be a little bit of a squeeze in the room.

All of our sofa beds have recently been replaced with brand new sofa beds throughout the hotel, so I apologise that you found this to be uncomfortable. Although comfort is a matter of personal preference, I will be discussing this matter with the housekeeping manager.

I am glad to hear that you thought the staff were friendly and efficient. They all take great pride in providing excellent customer service to all of our guests.

Thank you for taking advantage of the complimentary, continental, express start buffet breakfast. This does prove to be very popular with our guests so I am glad to hear you enjoyed it.

The location of the hotel, as you mentioned, is only an easy 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath and all of its beautiful, historic tourist attractions.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review, I hope you enjoyed your time in Bath, and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Durbanville, South Africa
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Although the hotel room was a bit small for the 3 of us sharing, the beds were comfy and the bathroom very clean. I was impressed with the breakfast, as I expected a continental breakfast only, but the choice included scrambled eggs, pork sausages, baked beans etc. Loved the coffee / cappuccino / hot chocolate machine.
The staff were friendly and check in / check out went smoothly. The location of the hotel is very convenient, as we walked into Bath day & night time. There is a huge Sainsbury's just across the road from the hotel too.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 3 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am sorry that you found the room to be a bit small, all of the rooms throughout the hotel are the same size unfortunately.
I am glad that you found the beds to be comfortable and the room to be clean, we have an excellent housekeeping team who work extremely hard throughout the hotel to maintain the cleanliness and comfort for our guests.

Thank you for taking advantage of the complimentary, continental, express start buffet breakfast. I am so glad to hear that you were impressed with this and that it met your requirements.

I am pleased to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and that you had a smooth check in and out. All of our staff go above and beyond with their customer service and take great pride in doing so.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Came to Bath for a 2 day romantic get away. I was advised by a family member to stay here because of its location, of which was only 10 minutes walk to the bus station/ beginning of the main shopping areas and attractions.
The check in times and check out times were very nice at this hotel. We drove to the hotel from Dover and decided because of its location we just wanted to leave the car in the hotel car park whilst we enjoyed our stay. The fee was £8 per day which was fair enough in my honest opinion. The staff were friendly and helpful and the booklet with local restaurant menus at the reception was very useful also. The room was average sized, there was no bath and for the price we paid (£99pn including breakfast of which I will come to in a little while) I expected more. I can't fault the cleanliness because it was spotless. Had a very good nights sleep. Only real problem in the room was the A/C. It had a mind of its own turning on and off at different temperatures when it wanted to. We eventually gave up and completely switched it off because we didn't need it anyway.
I was a little disappointed with the breakfast unfortunately. It was difficult to find a clean tray to use to pile up the food available. It was meant to be a "hot buffet" but the only hot food available was scrambled egg, beans and sausages. I can't believe there was no bacon or mushrooms. There was a good selection of cereal but the milk was almost room temp. There was other continental breakfast foods which made up for this slightly. The hot drinks machine they provided were appalling. My Partner wanted a hot chocolate which came out like hot gone off milk and I opted for the tea which came out warm.
My experience of this hotel was average all in all and there are definitely things they could do to improve their service because personally they are lacking what a premier inn or Travellodge have to offer for that sort of money.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only a 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath and all of its beautiful, historic tourist attractions it has to offer.
I am so pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful, as they do go above and beyond with their customer service and take great pride in doing so.

Unfortunately, none of our bedrooms have baths, it is just showers throughout the hotel. As Bath is such a popular city which attracts a large number of tourists throughout the year, the demand for hotels is extremely high and our rates reflect this. The rates are competitive with other hotels throughout the city of Bath.

I am so glad to hear that you that found the room to be clean and that you had a good nights sleep.

I am so sorry to hear that the air con unit caused you disturbance. Our maintenance manager does carry out regular checks on these air con units throughout the hotel, to make sure they are functioning properly, so I apologise that this wasn't functioning correctly on this occasion.

I am saddened to hear that you found the complimentary, continental, express start buffet breakfast to be disappointing. Regarding the trays we actually provide them on the trollies just so guests are able to clear their used and dirty dishes from their tables when they have finished breakfast to then stack them on these trays which minimizes clutter in the breakfast area.
As we are an Express hotel, and due to our brand standards we don't provide a full cooked breakfast so we just have the continental food, and then the three hot options you mentioned. We carry out regular temperature checks on the milk that is in the breakfast area to make sure it is safe to serve and of a suitable temperature.
I am sorry to hear about the drinks machine, I will have a look into this matter and discuss with the breakfast team how we could improve this.

I would like to thank you for writing this review as it is reviews such as yours, which enables us to see what areas we can improve on in the future.

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

The room is a good size and clean. The room could benefit from a new kettle and hair dryer but we didn't use these any way as I brought my own hair dryer and we don't drink tea/coffee. Buffet breakfast is mainly continental with some beans, scrambled egg and sausages as "hot food" but in the hot plates kept this Luke warm at best, and we went for the breakfast both mornings at 8am. The check in and out times are good leaving us plenty of time to get out stuff out in the mornings and we were able to park the car there until 4pm which was great as well. Over all a good stay.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Rachel_visits

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am glad you found the room to be a good size, and that it was clean for you, our housekeeping team work extremely hard to maintain a high level of cleanliness and comfort throughout the hotel.

We are looking into replacing the kettles and hairdryers throughout the hotel as part of our upcoming refurbishment.

Thank you for taking advantage of the complimentary, continental, express start buffet breakfast. Our breakfast team carry out regular temperature checks throughout the breakfast period to make sure our hot food is at a safe temperature and hot enough to serve to our guests.

I am pleased to hear that you made use of being able to park your vehicle until 4pm on the day of departure, I hope you enjoyed your time in the beautiful city of Bath.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.