“Back to Basics in Bath”

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Back to Basics in Bath”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We went to Bath for the annual Jane Austen Festival which is held every September. All the B & Bs were full so we chose this hotel as a last minute thing. The location of the hotel is the most attractive point about this hotel- the walk into central Bath is 10 minutes. The hotel is obviously a chain so lacks any kind of charm or distinctive characteristics. Breakfast is included in the price which is good. TThe negative side to this hotel is it is very basic and the walls are too thin.

Mesbah Shafait

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is as far away from the reception as if there is a wedding or other function goi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mesbah S
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 23 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel, being only a 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath and all of the main tourist attractions.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free, hot option breakfast which is available to our guests.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Lauren Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is a good value hotel & well located - the walk into Bath's centre is about 10 minutes. The whole place was too hot - we had to open our bedroom window in December & leave it open for all of the three days we were there. The sausages at breakfast were some of the worst I have ever tasted, 'though the croissants were much better than expected.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 21 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear that you found the hotel to be too hot. This is personal preference, and unfortunately, all of our air con units throughout the hotel, are now on winter settings, and we are unable to change them to cool, so it will give out warm air.

Sorry to hear that you didn't like the sausages provided with the free hot option breakfast. As well as sausages, there are also the Baked Beans and Scrambled Egg, as well as the continental options, included.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review, and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed for one night in December whilst visiting the Christmas Market and our usual B&B's were all busy. The location of this hotel is fine with a 5-10 min level walk into the centre. Managed to get a parking spot at the hotel despite the busy weekend, but note that this will cost you £8 per night.
Welcome and staff all very pleasant and we were given a map with directions on the best route to walk back into the centre. The room was clean and just what we needed, although the double bed could be a bit bigger. Quite noisy in the hotel despite the fact that we were on the top floor at the back of the hotel - just able to hear kids etc in adjacent rooms, so maybe just thin walls.

My only gripe, as other reviewers have commented, is the breakfast offering. At £170 per night the rooms are expensive enough and so the breakfast can hardly be called "complimentary" as a get out. Yes, it was a busy weekend and the breakfast area was packed. Queued for 5 mins for eggs to be replenished and then gave up and had just sausage and beans - the only other items offered.. One toast machine was OOO and so the queue for the working one was manic.

The area where the "buffet" is located is just too small for the number of people trying to use it, tempers were fraying, and staff were struggling to keep everything replenished. All in all an experience best avoided. At checkout many people were moaning about the breakfast.

Would perhaps stay again for the room and staff if our normal B&B's in the town were not available, but would prefer the prices to be reduced and breakfast to be optional. Then I could opt out of it!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only a 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath, and all of the main tourist attractions. Guests are able to leave their vehicles in our secure car park for the small charge of £8 a night, this is then valid until 4pm on the day of departure.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. They do go above and beyond with their customer service and take great pride in doing so.

I am so glad to hear that the room met your requirements for the duration of the stay, however, all of our beds are standard double beds and throughout the hotel are the same size.

As Bath attracts a large number of tourists throughout the year, the demand for hotels is extremely high. This then effects are rates which are competitive with other hotels throughout the city, which is why they can be quite high. Throughout all Holiday Inn Express hotels, breakfast is complimentary.

As the weekends are our busiest time, this does of course make breakfast extremely busy also. We do try to pre warn guests upon check in, the best times to come down to avoid the breakfast rush.

Our breakfast team work extremely hard to replenish the breakfast area as quickly as possible for guests.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review, and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Lauren Jones.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The Holiday Inn Express is about 10 minutes walk from central Bath and a similar, picturesque distance to the Royal Crescent. You can catch the 5 or 10 buses to right outside the door for £2.60 return per adult or £1.70 single per adult.

It is, as with most Holiday Inns, comfy and clean with large TVs and good strong shower. The free breakfast was nice although the toasters being in the centre of the serving area meant large queues built up. Pleasant staff, quiet at night and the only issue we had was our heating was much too high and you couldn't turn it down so we had to have the window open a lot!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 19 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only a 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath and all of the main tourist attractions.

I am so glad to hear that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable, we have an excellent housekeeping team who work extremely hard to maintain a high level of comfort and cleanliness throughout the hotel.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free hot option breakfast. It does prove to be very popular with our guests, and in busy periods, queues can build up. We do try to pre warn all of our guests however, upon check in, the best times to come down to avoid the breakfast rush.

I am sorry to hear there was a problem with the heating. Our maintenance manger does carry out regular checks throughout the hotel on these units, so I do apologise that it wasn't functioning correctly on this occasion.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed here during the Bath Christmas Market in December 2013. This is the second time I've stayed and once again they didn't disappoint. Good check in service and hospitality, good sized clean room well stocked breakfast service. Check out was very quick and easy too. Located a walkable distance from the city centre.

I would definitely recommend this establishment for your stay in Bath.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Bath and visiting the Christmas Market.

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the service and hospitality. Our team do work extremely hard, and go above and beyond with their customer service.

I am glad that the room met your requirements for the duration of your stay and that you enjoyed the free hot option breakfast.

I would like to thank you again for writing such a kind review, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a gift for my husbands birthday (a night away to enjoy Christmas market.) The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk from the centre of town but the inner city hotels were well out of our price range so happy to pay a little less and walk a few minutes.
Got parked with no problems and car park charge reasonable. All the staff we spoke to were friendly and professional. The room is basic but was very clean and did what we needed. Free wifi was also a bonus as my 3G was playing up!
Downsides were the heating/ cooling system had a mind of its own and we couldn't figure out how to program it so simply turned it off. We were also woken up by some awful banging at 4 in the morning (sounded like someone dropping bowling balls in the floor of room above.) it only lasted about 10 minutes but still pretty annoying! Breakfast was also a bit of a battle. The selection was fine (we were aware that u only had three hot selections but this suited us fine) and all the items pleasant but it was a bit of a fight to get to anything! Was set out in a line with toaster in middle so people queuing for toast were blocking everything else, simply moving toaster to one end would have solved this! Also the eggs ran out (my partner only wanted scrambled egg in toast) but due to queue for toaster and eggs running out he got nether! We did notice that there were eggs when we left, but staff seemed to be struggling with the higher than usual demand (appreciate it was busy due to Christmas market.)
Overall the stay was acceptable and we got the hotel a bit cheaper than some other people, I wouldn't have been happy if we had paid £160! Would stay here again as well situated but only at the reduced price we paid.

• Stayed December 2013
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 14 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that you chose to stay with us while celebrating a birthday, I hope you both had a lovely time in Bath.

As you mentioned, we are only an easy 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath and all of the main tourist attractions.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. They do all work extremely hard and go above and beyond with their customer service, taking great pride in doing so.

I am glad that the room met your requirements for the duration of your stay. Our housekeeping team work extremely hard to maintain a high level of comfort throughout the hotel for our guests.

I am so sorry to hear that your heating system wasn't working while you were staying at the hotel. Our maintance manager does carry out regular checks on these units throughout the hotel, so I do apologise that this wasn't functioning correctly while you were with us.

As our free hot option breakfast is so popular with our guests, it can get very busy in the breakfast area as it is of limited space. Reception staff do try to pre warn our guests upon check in the best times to come down to avoid the breakfast rush. As the Christmas Market is currently on in Bath, the hotel is especially busy, which of course effects the breakfast. Our breakfast team always work extremely hard and as quickly as possible to replenish the breakfast area for our guests.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Hotel was clean! It seemed very new. Breakfast was hot and full of options! Great rate! Friendly staff. They gave us free wifi even though it said on my reservation that we had to pay. We are a family of four and our room was a nice size. We had a great time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jsvatoews

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased that you found the hotel to be clean and the room met your requirements. We have an excellent housekeeping team who work extremely hard throughout the hotel to maintain a high level of cleanliness and comfort for our guests.

Thank you for taking advantage of our free hot option breakfast. It does prove to be very popular with our guests, so I am glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I am glad you found the staff to be friendly, they do go above and beyond with their customer service and take great pride in doing so.