“Christmas shopping weekend.”

Holiday Inn Express Bath
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My Mum and I stayed here for a Christmas Shopping weekend. The exterior of the hotel looks very modern and fresh, the same goes for the reception interior. We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff who informed us of how far away the shopping centre was from the hotel and how to get there and also let us leave our luggage behind the desk as it was too early to check in.
The rooms were exactly what we needed for a busy shopping weekend. The only bad thing was that the temperature in the rooms are far too hot! I was awake for nearly 2 hours whilst trying to adjust the temperature, but it would only go as low as 20 degrees, which was still far too hot.
The breakfast was very pleasing compared to other Holiday Inn Express' that I have experienced. Seems to have a lot more choice and is presented more elegantly.
A particular mention goes to the duty manager on shift at the time, Rhys, who was very friendly and welcoming whilst we stayed. Charlotte however, the receptionist on shift on arrival, seemed bored and uninterested whilst checking us in.
Overall, I would definitely stay again, and this hotel exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that the hotel and the room met your requirements for the duration of your stay.

I am so sorry to hear that you found the room to be too hot however. The heating systems throughout the hotel are now on the winter settings, so they will only blow out hot air, unfortunately, we are unable to change it to cool.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free hot option breakfast. This does prove to be very popular with our guests, so I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed it.

Thank you for your kind comments about Rhys, I am so sorry to hear about Charlotte however, I can assure you that this isn't a regular occurrence and all of our staff do go above and beyond with their customer service.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Bath

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We picked this hotel based on price and the fact that we could cancel if need be. We travelled by train from London, so bought tickets to Oldfield station, which is within walking distance of the hotel.
The hotel is well priced, especially as breakfast was included in the tariff. The hotel is within easy walking distance of most of the attractions of Bath, which is an area that is well worth a visit.

It is not a luxury hotel, and doesn't claim to be. The only niggle we had was that our room was the first room off the reception area, so we did get a wee bit of noise until things quietened down, but that happened by 10 pm.

Room Tip: If you want to get to sleep early, try if possible to not get the first room along the corridor from...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am glad to hear that the hotel met your requirements for the duration of your stay. As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only an easy 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath and all of the main tourist attractions.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We went to Bath for the annual Jane Austen Festival which is held every September. All the B & Bs were full so we chose this hotel as a last minute thing. The location of the hotel is the most attractive point about this hotel- the walk into central Bath is 10 minutes. The hotel is obviously a chain so lacks any kind of charm or distinctive characteristics. Breakfast is included in the price which is good. TThe negative side to this hotel is it is very basic and the walls are too thin.

Mesbah Shafait

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is as far away from the reception as if there is a wedding or other function goi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mesbah S
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel, being only a 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath and all of the main tourist attractions.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free, hot option breakfast which is available to our guests.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is a good value hotel & well located - the walk into Bath's centre is about 10 minutes. The whole place was too hot - we had to open our bedroom window in December & leave it open for all of the three days we were there. The sausages at breakfast were some of the worst I have ever tasted, 'though the croissants were much better than expected.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear that you found the hotel to be too hot. This is personal preference, and unfortunately, all of our air con units throughout the hotel, are now on winter settings, and we are unable to change them to cool, so it will give out warm air.

Sorry to hear that you didn't like the sausages provided with the free hot option breakfast. As well as sausages, there are also the Baked Beans and Scrambled Egg, as well as the continental options, included.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review, and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed for one night in December whilst visiting the Christmas Market and our usual B&B's were all busy. The location of this hotel is fine with a 5-10 min level walk into the centre. Managed to get a parking spot at the hotel despite the busy weekend, but note that this will cost you £8 per night.
Welcome and staff all very pleasant and we were given a map with directions on the best route to walk back into the centre. The room was clean and just what we needed, although the double bed could be a bit bigger. Quite noisy in the hotel despite the fact that we were on the top floor at the back of the hotel - just able to hear kids etc in adjacent rooms, so maybe just thin walls.

My only gripe, as other reviewers have commented, is the breakfast offering. At £170 per night the rooms are expensive enough and so the breakfast can hardly be called "complimentary" as a get out. Yes, it was a busy weekend and the breakfast area was packed. Queued for 5 mins for eggs to be replenished and then gave up and had just sausage and beans - the only other items offered.. One toast machine was OOO and so the queue for the working one was manic.

The area where the "buffet" is located is just too small for the number of people trying to use it, tempers were fraying, and staff were struggling to keep everything replenished. All in all an experience best avoided. At checkout many people were moaning about the breakfast.

Would perhaps stay again for the room and staff if our normal B&B's in the town were not available, but would prefer the prices to be reduced and breakfast to be optional. Then I could opt out of it!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only a 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath, and all of the main tourist attractions. Guests are able to leave their vehicles in our secure car park for the small charge of £8 a night, this is then valid until 4pm on the day of departure.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. They do go above and beyond with their customer service and take great pride in doing so.

I am so glad to hear that the room met your requirements for the duration of the stay, however, all of our beds are standard double beds and throughout the hotel are the same size.

As Bath attracts a large number of tourists throughout the year, the demand for hotels is extremely high. This then effects are rates which are competitive with other hotels throughout the city, which is why they can be quite high. Throughout all Holiday Inn Express hotels, breakfast is complimentary.

As the weekends are our busiest time, this does of course make breakfast extremely busy also. We do try to pre warn guests upon check in, the best times to come down to avoid the breakfast rush.

Our breakfast team work extremely hard to replenish the breakfast area as quickly as possible for guests.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review, and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Lauren Jones.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

The Holiday Inn Express is about 10 minutes walk from central Bath and a similar, picturesque distance to the Royal Crescent. You can catch the 5 or 10 buses to right outside the door for £2.60 return per adult or £1.70 single per adult.

It is, as with most Holiday Inns, comfy and clean with large TVs and good strong shower. The free breakfast was nice although the toasters being in the centre of the serving area meant large queues built up. Pleasant staff, quiet at night and the only issue we had was our heating was much too high and you couldn't turn it down so we had to have the window open a lot!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only a 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath and all of the main tourist attractions.

I am so glad to hear that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable, we have an excellent housekeeping team who work extremely hard to maintain a high level of comfort and cleanliness throughout the hotel.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free hot option breakfast. It does prove to be very popular with our guests, and in busy periods, queues can build up. We do try to pre warn all of our guests however, upon check in, the best times to come down to avoid the breakfast rush.

I am sorry to hear there was a problem with the heating. Our maintenance manger does carry out regular checks throughout the hotel on these units, so I do apologise that it wasn't functioning correctly on this occasion.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed here during the Bath Christmas Market in December 2013. This is the second time I've stayed and once again they didn't disappoint. Good check in service and hospitality, good sized clean room well stocked breakfast service. Check out was very quick and easy too. Located a walkable distance from the city centre.

I would definitely recommend this establishment for your stay in Bath.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Bath and visiting the Christmas Market.

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the service and hospitality. Our team do work extremely hard, and go above and beyond with their customer service.

I am glad that the room met your requirements for the duration of your stay and that you enjoyed the free hot option breakfast.

I would like to thank you again for writing such a kind review, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.