“Very clean hotel with friendly staff”

Holiday Inn Express Bath
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed New Years Eve. Convenient location, short walk to city centre. Very clean rooms and adequate space. Friendly staff at reception and otherwise. Breakfast a bit busy and crowded but no problem really.

Room Tip: Room was fine
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only an easy 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath, and all of the main tourist attractions.

I am so pleased to hear that you found the room to be clean and that it met your requirements for the duration of your stay.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, they do go above and beyond with their customer service, taking great pride in doing so.

Our free, hot option breakfast, does prove to be very popular with our guests, so at peak times, can get fairly busy, and congested, as you mentioned. We do try to pre warn our guests upon check in, the best times to come down for breakfast to avoid the breakfast rush.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Bath

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We have stayed in this hotel before and found it expensive for what it is but convenient for Bath centre.

This visit was very disappointing for the following reasons:
The lighting in the room was gloomy and inadequate.
The breakfast was awful with a poor selection. The three hot dishes were sausages (cheap), baked beans and scrambled eggs (rather solid). I thought that bacon was a necessary for breakfast as not all like sausages. Very very disappointing given the cost of this hotel.

The room was clean and well laid out and the staff friendly.

We will definitely not be staying at this hotel again

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alistair H

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As Bath attracts such a large number of tourists throughout the year, the demand for hotels is extremely high. This then effects the rates, which are competitive with other hotels throughout Bath.

I am so sorry to hear that you found the visit to be disappointing and that you didn't enjoy the free, hot option breakfast provided. Unfortunately, as we are not a full service hotel, and due to our brand standards, we are unable to provide bacon, we do offer our three hot options and a continental selection however, to try and meet all of our guests requirements.

I am pleased that you found the room to be clean, our housekeeping team work extremely hard throughout the hotel to maintain a high level of cleanliness and comfort for our guests.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, they do go above and beyond with their customer service, and take great pride in doing so.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Nice hotel room - clean, lovely bed and bathroom, nice linen.

Unfortunately, the hotel is let down by an unwelcoming reception area, friendly but not very smart or efficient staff - although this morning's receptionist was excellent - and a very disappointing 'free' breakfast.

All of the negatives are totally avoidable and easily fixed!

Room Tip: I would not like a room on the ground floor - very busy reception.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that the room met your requirements for the duration of your stay.

I am disappointed to hear that you found the reception area to be unwelcoming, I do apologise for this and can assure you, that it isn't a regular occurrence. All of our staff go above and beyond with their customer service and take great pride in doing so.

I am sorry you found the free hot option breakfast to be disappointing. As we are not a full service hotel and due to our brand standards, we can only offer the three hot options of Sausage, Scrambled Egg and Baked Beans, as well as our continental selection. We do try to provide a wide enough selection to meet everyone's individual requirements.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

My Mum and I stayed here for a Christmas Shopping weekend. The exterior of the hotel looks very modern and fresh, the same goes for the reception interior. We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff who informed us of how far away the shopping centre was from the hotel and how to get there and also let us leave our luggage behind the desk as it was too early to check in.
The rooms were exactly what we needed for a busy shopping weekend. The only bad thing was that the temperature in the rooms are far too hot! I was awake for nearly 2 hours whilst trying to adjust the temperature, but it would only go as low as 20 degrees, which was still far too hot.
The breakfast was very pleasing compared to other Holiday Inn Express' that I have experienced. Seems to have a lot more choice and is presented more elegantly.
A particular mention goes to the duty manager on shift at the time, Rhys, who was very friendly and welcoming whilst we stayed. Charlotte however, the receptionist on shift on arrival, seemed bored and uninterested whilst checking us in.
Overall, I would definitely stay again, and this hotel exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that the hotel and the room met your requirements for the duration of your stay.

I am so sorry to hear that you found the room to be too hot however. The heating systems throughout the hotel are now on the winter settings, so they will only blow out hot air, unfortunately, we are unable to change it to cool.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free hot option breakfast. This does prove to be very popular with our guests, so I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed it.

Thank you for your kind comments about Rhys, I am so sorry to hear about Charlotte however, I can assure you that this isn't a regular occurrence and all of our staff do go above and beyond with their customer service.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We picked this hotel based on price and the fact that we could cancel if need be. We travelled by train from London, so bought tickets to Oldfield station, which is within walking distance of the hotel.
The hotel is well priced, especially as breakfast was included in the tariff. The hotel is within easy walking distance of most of the attractions of Bath, which is an area that is well worth a visit.

It is not a luxury hotel, and doesn't claim to be. The only niggle we had was that our room was the first room off the reception area, so we did get a wee bit of noise until things quietened down, but that happened by 10 pm.

Room Tip: If you want to get to sleep early, try if possible to not get the first room along the corridor from...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am glad to hear that the hotel met your requirements for the duration of your stay. As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only an easy 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath and all of the main tourist attractions.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We went to Bath for the annual Jane Austen Festival which is held every September. All the B & Bs were full so we chose this hotel as a last minute thing. The location of the hotel is the most attractive point about this hotel- the walk into central Bath is 10 minutes. The hotel is obviously a chain so lacks any kind of charm or distinctive characteristics. Breakfast is included in the price which is good. TThe negative side to this hotel is it is very basic and the walls are too thin.

Mesbah Shafait

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is as far away from the reception as if there is a wedding or other function goi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mesbah S
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel, being only a 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath and all of the main tourist attractions.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free, hot option breakfast which is available to our guests.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is a good value hotel & well located - the walk into Bath's centre is about 10 minutes. The whole place was too hot - we had to open our bedroom window in December & leave it open for all of the three days we were there. The sausages at breakfast were some of the worst I have ever tasted, 'though the croissants were much better than expected.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only a 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath, and all of the main tourist attractions.

I am sorry to hear that you found the hotel to be too hot. This is personal preference, and unfortunately, all of our air con units throughout the hotel, are now on winter settings, and we are unable to change them to cool, so it will give out warm air.

Sorry to hear that you didn't like the sausages provided with the free hot option breakfast. As well as sausages, there are also the Baked Beans and Scrambled Egg, as well as the continental options, included.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review, and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.