“Good budget hotel”

Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Singapore
“Good budget hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 1 day during our visit to Bath. This hotel is located closer to the Oldfield Park train station (5-10 mins walk) than the Bath Spa station (15-20mins walk). Though it is not right in the city centre of Bath, it is an easy walk to the Royal Crescent (just cross the Victoria bridge and you’ll reach the Royal Crescent soon). From the Royal Crescent, all other tourist attractions are within walking distance.
Our room was not that big, but it was very clean. The complimentary WIFI worked very well. We were glad to be given an early check-in (around 11am). Check in was very efficiently done by the friendly staff. Breakfast was OK, though there wasn’t a wide selection of food.
However, do note that certain rooms of the hotel are directly facing St. James Cemetery. Our room was one of them, but we were not too bothered about this. If you are particular about this, please request for other rooms. The so-called double bed in our room was rather small. Besides, the window in the room was downward-facing, making it not able to open wide enough for air to come in. The amenities are barely sufficient, no slippers, shower cap, toothbrush and toothpaste (need to ask for these). There was no safe in the room and no heating bar in the bathroom, too.
All the hotels in Bath are very pricey. So, if you are looking for a clean room with reasonably good location without burning a hole in your pocket, Holiday Inn Express Bath is a good option for you.
We spent our 2nd night in Hilton Bath which was so much better (but, much more expensive, too), and I’d say I’ll pay more to stay in Hilton the next time.

Room Tip: Some rooms are facing the cemetery directly. If you mind, request for a room facing other directions...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 6 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only an easy 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath, and all of the main tourist attractions.

All of our rooms throughout the hotel, are of the same size, I am glad the room was clean, our housekeeping team are excellent and work extremely hard to maintain a high level of comfort and cleanliness throughout the hotel.

Thank you for taking advantage of the complimentary WIFI available throughout the hotel, and for your kind comments about the staff, they work extremely hard to go above and beyond with their customer service.

As we are not a full service hotel, and due to our brand standards, we do only offer the three hot options of Sausage, scrambled Egg and Baked Beans, as well as our continental selection, we try to provide a wide enough selection to suit all of our guests individual requirements.

All of our beds in the rooms are of a standard size and the same throughout the hotel.
We do provide a wide range of toiletries for guests if they have forgotten anything, this ranges from shower caps, to razors, these are all available from reception.

Unfortunately, as we are an Express hotel, we don't provide safes in the rooms, however, we do have safety deposit boxes at reception for guests to use.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

Lauren Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed a 2 night stay over new year and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The hotel was good value for money considering it was over new year,staff we're polite,friendly and very helpful. Our room was more than adequate with a very comfy bed! Breakfast was what you would expect from a continental breakfast with a variety of cereals,fruit and yoghurt with the option of 3 hot items. My husband and I had no complaints with the breakfast infact we enjoyed our sausage sandwiches in the morning(reading the negative comments makes me think that you really can't please some people!). Overall we had a lovely 2 night stay in bath and would highly recommend the Holiday inn :).

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, they do go above and beyond with their customer service, taking great pride in doing so.

I am so pleased to hear that the room met your requirements for the duration of your stay.

Thank you for taking advantage of the complimentary, hot option breakfast. This does prove to be very poplar with our guests, and we do try to provide a wide range of both cooked and continental food to meet all of our guests requirements, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed New Years Eve. Convenient location, short walk to city centre. Very clean rooms and adequate space. Friendly staff at reception and otherwise. Breakfast a bit busy and crowded but no problem really.

Room Tip: Room was fine
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that you found the room to be clean and that it met your requirements for the duration of your stay.

Our free, hot option breakfast, does prove to be very popular with our guests, so at peak times, can get fairly busy, and congested, as you mentioned. We do try to pre warn our guests upon check in, the best times to come down for breakfast to avoid the breakfast rush.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We have stayed in this hotel before and found it expensive for what it is but convenient for Bath centre.

This visit was very disappointing for the following reasons:
The lighting in the room was gloomy and inadequate.
The breakfast was awful with a poor selection. The three hot dishes were sausages (cheap), baked beans and scrambled eggs (rather solid). I thought that bacon was a necessary for breakfast as not all like sausages. Very very disappointing given the cost of this hotel.

The room was clean and well laid out and the staff friendly.

We will definitely not be staying at this hotel again

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alistair H

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

As Bath attracts such a large number of tourists throughout the year, the demand for hotels is extremely high. This then effects the rates, which are competitive with other hotels throughout Bath.

I am so sorry to hear that you found the visit to be disappointing and that you didn't enjoy the free, hot option breakfast provided. Unfortunately, as we are not a full service hotel, and due to our brand standards, we are unable to provide bacon, we do offer our three hot options and a continental selection however, to try and meet all of our guests requirements.

I am pleased that you found the room to be clean, our housekeeping team work extremely hard throughout the hotel to maintain a high level of cleanliness and comfort for our guests.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, they do go above and beyond with their customer service, and take great pride in doing so.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Nice hotel room - clean, lovely bed and bathroom, nice linen.

Unfortunately, the hotel is let down by an unwelcoming reception area, friendly but not very smart or efficient staff - although this morning's receptionist was excellent - and a very disappointing 'free' breakfast.

All of the negatives are totally avoidable and easily fixed!

Room Tip: I would not like a room on the ground floor - very busy reception.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 3 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am disappointed to hear that you found the reception area to be unwelcoming, I do apologise for this and can assure you, that it isn't a regular occurrence. All of our staff go above and beyond with their customer service and take great pride in doing so.

I am sorry you found the free hot option breakfast to be disappointing. As we are not a full service hotel and due to our brand standards, we can only offer the three hot options of Sausage, Scrambled Egg and Baked Beans, as well as our continental selection. We do try to provide a wide enough selection to meet everyone's individual requirements.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

My Mum and I stayed here for a Christmas Shopping weekend. The exterior of the hotel looks very modern and fresh, the same goes for the reception interior. We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff who informed us of how far away the shopping centre was from the hotel and how to get there and also let us leave our luggage behind the desk as it was too early to check in.
The rooms were exactly what we needed for a busy shopping weekend. The only bad thing was that the temperature in the rooms are far too hot! I was awake for nearly 2 hours whilst trying to adjust the temperature, but it would only go as low as 20 degrees, which was still far too hot.
The breakfast was very pleasing compared to other Holiday Inn Express' that I have experienced. Seems to have a lot more choice and is presented more elegantly.
A particular mention goes to the duty manager on shift at the time, Rhys, who was very friendly and welcoming whilst we stayed. Charlotte however, the receptionist on shift on arrival, seemed bored and uninterested whilst checking us in.
Overall, I would definitely stay again, and this hotel exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that the hotel and the room met your requirements for the duration of your stay.

I am so sorry to hear that you found the room to be too hot however. The heating systems throughout the hotel are now on the winter settings, so they will only blow out hot air, unfortunately, we are unable to change it to cool.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free hot option breakfast. This does prove to be very popular with our guests, so I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed it.

Thank you for your kind comments about Rhys, I am so sorry to hear about Charlotte however, I can assure you that this isn't a regular occurrence and all of our staff do go above and beyond with their customer service.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

We picked this hotel based on price and the fact that we could cancel if need be. We travelled by train from London, so bought tickets to Oldfield station, which is within walking distance of the hotel.
The hotel is well priced, especially as breakfast was included in the tariff. The hotel is within easy walking distance of most of the attractions of Bath, which is an area that is well worth a visit.

It is not a luxury hotel, and doesn't claim to be. The only niggle we had was that our room was the first room off the reception area, so we did get a wee bit of noise until things quietened down, but that happened by 10 pm.

Room Tip: If you want to get to sleep early, try if possible to not get the first room along the corridor from...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am glad to hear that the hotel met your requirements for the duration of your stay. As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only an easy 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath and all of the main tourist attractions.