“Very accommodating to allergies”

Holiday Inn Express Bath
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had a lovely stay in Bath here as we were welcomed with everything sorted for my Son who has a nut and seed allergy. I had emailed ahead to let them know what sort of things James could have for breakfast. The manager made sure this was taken note of and someone had gone out and brought the correct food from local supermarket. if everything was this easy every time we went away it would be wonderful and stress free.
Many thanks to all the staff there for making our stay relaxing and as members we also had a room extension till 2pm - Brilliant. The room and facilities were great too. Only thing that spoiled it a little was the very noisy smokers outside reception at 2am talking and shouting disturbing our sleep.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the park away from main road and reception .
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that you had a lovely stay in Bath.

We do try our best to meet our guests dietary requirements if they let us know beforehand, so that we are able to provide suitable food. I am happy that we could do this for you and it met your requirements.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. They do go above and beyond with their customer service, taking great pride in doing so.

I am glad that the hotel met your requirements for the duration of your stay.

I apologise that your sleep got disturbed however. Our hotel is open 24 hours a day, there will always be staff on reception, so if you had rang down to reception letting them know the noise complaint, we would have been more than happy to tell them to keep the noise down.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Bath

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and i booked her mother and father into the hotel for two nights 24/25th January so they could enjoy Bath for her 80th Birthday. On entering the car park at around 7 pm it was an awful night with squally showers so we checked in, hurredly escorted them to their room with their luggage and made them a cup of tea. After 20 minutes we left and at no time did the hotel staff mention the parking 'risk'.
All was well with the room, breakfasts and service but it was about a week later i received a 'fine' for parking over the 'zero' minutes that is allowed by PARkingEye. They explain there are signs at the entrance to the hotel but on a night like that the priority was to set down then go!
I think it is highly irregular for such a brand life HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS to allow a private company to pounce on customers like this and wonder whether the relationship is financially mutual. I think the staff should at least let customers know whether they are at risk of being fined for just entering the car park.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so sorry to hear that you received a parking fine while dropping off your family at the hotel.

Unfortunately, once entering our car park, the ParkingEye system takes a photograph of the registration plate on the vehicle, and if the vehicle isn't registered into the terminals at reception, and then the vehicle leaves the car park, ParkingEye automatically issues a fine. We have this ParkingEye system in place to make sure it is just our guests, and people visiting the hotel, that use our car park.

As you mentioned, we do have clear signs in and around the car park, making people aware that we have ParkingEye in place, and that they need to register their vehicle to avoid a fine.

I do apologise however, that our staff didn't make you aware that you needed to register the vehicle.

If you contact the hotel directly, either by telephone on; 01225 303000, or by email; info@expressbath.co.uk, we are more than happy to contact ParkingEye, explain the situation and get this parking fine cancelled for yourself.

I would like to apologise again, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Stayed here for one night with family. Booked three rooms. Priority Pass member of twenty years. Hotel is ok and of a standard you would expect for a Holiday Inn property. Clean. Quiet. Comfortable. Unfortunately this hotel (really a motel, as it doesn't provide full hotel services e.g. no meals other than breakfast, no fridge in the room etc.) is a poor advertisement for the Holiday Inn brand, very much let down by poor staff attention to detail. To explain: Upon arrival early evening, we checked into the motel having pre-paid via a third party internet booking agency. The promise was good - free broadband, free breakfast etc. etc. During the check-in procedure we were asked if we has a vehicle in the car park. We did, and we provided the staff with the registration number and felt comfortable that the hotel was aware of our (rental) vehicle, given that the car park is for exclusive use of guests we were "in the system". Good. All went well. The next day we prepared for check-out. I was busy packing numerous suitcases into our vehicle and my wife attended to the check-out formalities. She was advised by the hotel staff that everything was in order in relation to our account and she was advised we were "good to go" or something to that effect. What a surprise a couple of weeks later when I checked my credit card account to find a GBP102.00 charge from the rental car company. Turns out the vehicle had been "ticketed" with a fine of GBP60 (plus rental car company GBP42 service charge to process the fine) for unpaid parking charges at Holiday Inn Bath. Incredible! I have researched and found that (a) there are signs that advise of the overnight parking charge, however the details are listed below the warning that the car park is for guests only. The impression is that an overnight charge applies to deter local non-guest cars from parking there, but no worry we had registered our car at reception (b) how do guests pay the charge? Do the staff collect at reception, and if so why wasn't this issue raised with us during the check-in procedure? (c) if there's some other way to pay the fee, surely the very least the staff could do is remind guests to pay the fee, especially as we had provided details that we had a car in the car park. Such a small service would cost the motel nothing and be well appreciated by guests! There is clearly a lack of customer service ethic. To add insult to injury, after reading other Trip Advisor comments, it appears there is discretion to waive the overnight car park fee. I wonder how one qualifies for a waiver? Further, only the "free this" and "free that" are advertised on the booking web site, no mention that this is one of the only motels I've stayed at globally that charges guests for parking (with perhaps the exception of big city centre hotels). On reflection, I'm not sure how we fell through the cracks and earned such an expense, but it leaves a baste taste and I will not stay at this property in future and will not recommend others to do so. No doubt the motel will have a glossy explanation - it won't help me. I suggest the management try a spot of staff training on the ways they can make their guests have a more pleasant stay without any stings in the tail. After all, they have a global brand to protect.

One more point: The motel has a small area stocked with drinks, snacks, pre-cooked meals etc. If you don't want to pay the motel's inflated prices, walk across the road to the petrol station (one minute) where you can get the same products in the convenience store for around a quarter of the price. Why don't hotels/motels get the message and just charge reasonable prices for their incidental products - they'd sell a lot more product and generate more revenue based on quantity of sales? I have only ever found one hotel (in Asia) that charged 7/11 prices in their mini-bar - their revenue increased 10-fold!

Room Tip: If you don't like waking up to views over the adjacent cemetery, try a room facing the car park.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I would like to thank you for your loyalty within the Intercontinental Hotel Group, I am so pleased to hear that you've been a Priority Club member for such a long time.

I am so glad to hear that you found the hotel to be clean, quiet and comfortable. Our housekeeping team do work extremely hard to maintain a high level of cleanliness and comfort throughout the hotel for our guests.

As we are a Holiday Inn Express hotel, we are not full service, as you mentioned, so are only able to provide the free, hot option breakfast. However, we do provide pizzas in the evenings for our guests, which can be ordered at the bar for guests to sit in the dinning room and eat, or take back up to their room if they wish.

I am so sorry to hear that you received a parking fine while staying with us, I do apologise for this.

As guests enter the car park, there is a company called ParkingEye who will take a picture of the vehicle registration plate, and if this isn't registered in the terminals at reception, it will issue an automatic fine when the vehicle exits the car park. I am sorry that the member of staff checking yourself in didn't make you aware that you needed to register your vehicle in the terminal, I am extremely disappointed to hear this happened and will be discussing this with the team.

Our car park is for guests only, which is why we have the ParkingEye system in place, there are signs throughout the car park informing people entering the car park, that their vehicle registration number needs to be registered.

We do try to take the car parking charge of £8 a night upon check in, although some guests choose to pay on check out for this. Guests pay at reception for this, as the parking charge is added to the bill. There was obviously some confusion with your parking charge not being applied to your bill, and the vehicle not being registered, so I sincerely apologise that this happened.

As you have already paid for this parking fine through the rental company, if you contact the hotel, either by email; info@expressbath.co.uk, or telephone; 01225 303000, with the parking reference number, and your vehicle registration number that appears on the ParkingEye fine, we are more than happy to contact ParkingEye and get this fine refunded and cancelled for yourself, as well as contacting the car rental company for you.

I would like to apologise again, for this confusion and inconvenience, and thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is feedback such as yours which enables us to see how we are doing, and what areas we can improve on in the future.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Nice little place, superb value, decorative order was "as new" and in perfect condition. Easy walk to down-town Bath. Plenty of parking, hotel location was easy to find. Breakfast to the usual good Holiday Inn Express standard. Staff professional and welcoming. As an IHG gold member, I felt my repeat business was valued and appreciated. No surprises, no fuss a perfect in-expensive drop in "one night'er". Smart, clean etc, etc. A good example of IHG group "value hotel" at its best...........Will visit again if staying in Bath.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jonathan r
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your recent stay with us.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

As you mentioned, Our hotel is very lucky to be close by to popular landmarks, And main tourist attractions.

All of our staff do try and recognise our Intercontinental Hotel Group members. Thank you for your continue loyalty with our brand, it does mean a lot to us.

Thank you again for your kind review.

Kind Regards

Sam Stone

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Typical Holiday Inn stuff - comfortable, quiet, economical choice. Only 5 minutes walk from the landmarks in town. Unfortunately there was a rather noisy sports team staying there at the same time as us, but even with this we had an uninterrupted night's sleep. Would return without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you again for your kind review.

Kind Regards

Sam Stone

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Mum and I stayed here in December 2013. The staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and offered tips of local attractions, times and distances if walking. Very modern, quiet and clean. Excellent wifi, and fabulous breakfast included. One of the lovely staff members actually ordered and collected dinner from a local restaurant for us to eat in our room. Highly recommended. Will certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms were spacious, quiet and very clean
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the staff, they do go above and beyond with their customer service and take great pride in doing so.

I am pleased to hear that the hotel met your requirements for the duration of your stay. Our housekeeping team work extremely hard to maintain a high level of cleanliness and comfort throughout the hotel.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free, hot option breakfast. This does prove to be very popular with our guests, and our breakfast team work extremely hard to maintain the breakfast area, as well as making sure there is a wide selection of both the hot option food, and the continental selection, to meet all of our guests individual requirements. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed this.

I am so glad to hear that our staff are going the extra mile for our guests, I know they enjoy doing so, and thank you again, for your kind comments. I will make sure I pass these on to them.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write such a kind, positive review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I am not usually a huge fan, but we wanted somewhere cheap for a bunch of us celebrating a girls night out in Bath. The hotel was as expected... modern, basic, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was okay... not the best but definitely acceptable. However the customer service was great, the staff were very friendly and helpful and above average. The location is good... approx 10 minutes out of the town centre and there is a car park that for a small fee you can use overnight until the following 4pm. I would recommend this hotel as a reasonable option for a hotel in Bath.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that the hotel met your requirements for the duration of your stay.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free, hot option breakfast. Our breakfast team work extremely hard, and we try to provide a wide selection of continental food as well as our three hot options of; Sausage, Scrambled Egg and Baked Beans, to meet all of our guests individual requirements.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. They all do go above and beyond with their customer service, and take great pride in doing so.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only an easy 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath, and all of the main tourist attractions.