“excellent, highly recommended.”

Holiday Inn Express Bath
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stay here as a family of 2 adults & 2 children, firstly apon arrival there was heaps of parking spaces, check in was easy & fast, with lovely reception staff. The room was spotless, crisp white bedding, sparkling bathroom, we couldnt fault it. Large flat screen tv in room also. The breakfast was fine too, not 5* but definately worth getting up for, there was 6 different cereals, fresh fruits, scrambled egg, sausage, beans, toast, cheese, yogurts, muffins + more, & teas/coffees , juices, what more do you want for the price you pay, it done us and the kids was happy too. Must also mention the breakfast staff, the lady cleaning the breakfast area was working her socks off collecting dishes & keeping the area clean.......good job !
Location was great, 10 mins strool into town.
Take no notice of negative reviews, this was a faultless stay, highly recommended.

2  Thank lukeWales_Uk
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about your recent stay.

I am so glad to hear you found your check in to be easy and fast. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. They do go above and beyond with their customer service and take great pride in doing so.

I am pleased to hear that the room met your requirments for the duration of your stay. Our housekeeping team work extremely hard to maintain a high standard of cleanliness and comfort throughout the hotel.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free, hot option breakfast. We do try to provide a wide range of continental and hot option food to meet all of our guests individual requirements. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed this.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write such a kind review, I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Lauren Jones

Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have to say that we arrived much earlier than we had expected and although we just planned to park and go for a walk we were pleased to find our room was ready early for us. The reception staff were very friendly and it felt as if we were returning guests.

Now my first moan, as with any hotel, not just Holiday Inn, NOTE TO HOTEL MANAGERS. If your going to put tea and coffee in a room there should be enough for one up each when you arrive after a long drive and one each when you wake in the morning before breakfast. Two coffee sachets, only two sugar packets and four UHT dosent really do the job. We popped to Sainsbury and brought our own, it made for a much more comfertable stay.

The room was clean and tidy, the shower lovely, and the room smelt fresh. It took me the first night to get used to which pillow I wanted but thats just me.

The continental breakfast, It was ok, a decent enough start to the day, on the cooked front it was just sausage, beans and scambled egg. To whoever used the same spoon for the egg and the beans...dont do it again.

The location of the holiday inn was perfect, ten min walk into town, finding it was easy when arriving from the west. The staff were all friendly and the bar downstairs was priced as you'd expect in the high street.

The free wifi was great in this day and age, but for some reason each time i returned to the room I had to put the code in again, maybe that was just my device???

All in all a good stay

Room Tip: Take your own coffee in you like a warm drink
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick H
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that you were able to check into the hotel early, and that you found our reception staff friendly. All of our staff do go above and beyond with their customer service, taking great pride in doing so.

With regards to the tea and coffee in the rooms, it is brand standard throughout the chain, to just provide two of everything in the guest bedrooms. However, there are more complimentary tea bags, coffees sachets, milk portions and sugars in the guest vending area located in the reception area for guests to help themselves to. Housekeeping will also top these items up when servicing the rooms.

I am so glad to hear that you found the room to be clean and tidy. We have an excellent housekeeping team who work extremely hard to maintain a high level of cleanliness and comfort throughout the hotel for our guests.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free, hot option buffet breakfast. As well as the three hot options of Sausage, Scrambled Egg and Baked Beans, we do offer a wide selection of continental food to try and meet all of our guests individual requirements.

I glad the location of the hotel met your requirements, we are lucky having the city centre of Bath, and all of the main tourist attractions, only an easy 10-15 minute walk away.

Thank you for making use of the complimentary WIFI throughout the hotel. Unfortunately, our internet provider has set the WIFI up so guests do have to renter the WIFI password each time they go to use their device.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We found this hotel to be just as described. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a small problem with the shower and were offered an alternative room immediately and assistance with our bags etc. The room was clean and well laid out. The location was fine for us a short 10 minute walk into the town centre. Our only minor grumble was none of us enjoyed the scrambled egg, strange taste and texture! Would happily stay again for a short stop over which I believe is what these hotels are designed for.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. They do go above and beyond with their customer service, and take great pride in doing so.

I am so sorry to hear that you had a problem with your shower while you were staying with us. I am pleased to hear however, that our staff dealt with the problem and you received an alternative room. Our maintenance manager will be looking into this matter with the shower, and get it fixed as quickly as possible.

I am so pleased to hear that you found the room to be clean and well laid out. Our housekeeping team work extremely hard to maintain a high level of cleanliness and comfort throughout the hotel.

As you mentioned, we are lucky with the location of the hotel being only an easy 10-15 minute walk away from the city centre of Bath, and all of the main tourist attractions.

I am so sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy the scrambled egg included in our free, hot option breakfast. We do try to provide a wide selection of both the continental, and the hot option food, of; Sausage, Scrambled Egg and Baked Beans, to meet all of our guests individual requirements.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to write a review, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had a lovely stay in Bath here as we were welcomed with everything sorted for my Son who has a nut and seed allergy. I had emailed ahead to let them know what sort of things James could have for breakfast. The manager made sure this was taken note of and someone had gone out and brought the correct food from local supermarket. if everything was this easy every time we went away it would be wonderful and stress free.
Many thanks to all the staff there for making our stay relaxing and as members we also had a room extension till 2pm - Brilliant. The room and facilities were great too. Only thing that spoiled it a little was the very noisy smokers outside reception at 2am talking and shouting disturbing our sleep.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the park away from main road and reception .

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear that you had a lovely stay in Bath.

We do try our best to meet our guests dietary requirements if they let us know beforehand, so that we are able to provide suitable food. I am happy that we could do this for you and it met your requirements.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff. They do go above and beyond with their customer service, taking great pride in doing so.

I am glad that the hotel met your requirements for the duration of your stay.

I apologise that your sleep got disturbed however. Our hotel is open 24 hours a day, there will always be staff on reception, so if you had rang down to reception letting them know the noise complaint, we would have been more than happy to tell them to keep the noise down.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and i booked her mother and father into the hotel for two nights 24/25th January so they could enjoy Bath for her 80th Birthday. On entering the car park at around 7 pm it was an awful night with squally showers so we checked in, hurredly escorted them to their room with their luggage and made them a cup of tea. After 20 minutes we left and at no time did the hotel staff mention the parking 'risk'.
All was well with the room, breakfasts and service but it was about a week later i received a 'fine' for parking over the 'zero' minutes that is allowed by PARkingEye. They explain there are signs at the entrance to the hotel but on a night like that the priority was to set down then go!
I think it is highly irregular for such a brand life HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS to allow a private company to pounce on customers like this and wonder whether the relationship is financially mutual. I think the staff should at least let customers know whether they are at risk of being fined for just entering the car park.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so sorry to hear that you received a parking fine while dropping off your family at the hotel.

Unfortunately, once entering our car park, the ParkingEye system takes a photograph of the registration plate on the vehicle, and if the vehicle isn't registered into the terminals at reception, and then the vehicle leaves the car park, ParkingEye automatically issues a fine. We have this ParkingEye system in place to make sure it is just our guests, and people visiting the hotel, that use our car park.

As you mentioned, we do have clear signs in and around the car park, making people aware that we have ParkingEye in place, and that they need to register their vehicle to avoid a fine.

I do apologise however, that our staff didn't make you aware that you needed to register the vehicle.

If you contact the hotel directly, either by telephone on; 01225 303000, or by email; info@expressbath.co.uk, we are more than happy to contact ParkingEye, explain the situation and get this parking fine cancelled for yourself.

I would like to apologise again, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Stayed here for one night with family. Booked three rooms. Priority Pass member of twenty years. Hotel is ok and of a standard you would expect for a Holiday Inn property. Clean. Quiet. Comfortable. Unfortunately this hotel (really a motel, as it doesn't provide full hotel services e.g. no meals other than breakfast, no fridge in the room etc.) is a poor advertisement for the Holiday Inn brand, very much let down by poor staff attention to detail. To explain: Upon arrival early evening, we checked into the motel having pre-paid via a third party internet booking agency. The promise was good - free broadband, free breakfast etc. etc. During the check-in procedure we were asked if we has a vehicle in the car park. We did, and we provided the staff with the registration number and felt comfortable that the hotel was aware of our (rental) vehicle, given that the car park is for exclusive use of guests we were "in the system". Good. All went well. The next day we prepared for check-out. I was busy packing numerous suitcases into our vehicle and my wife attended to the check-out formalities. She was advised by the hotel staff that everything was in order in relation to our account and she was advised we were "good to go" or something to that effect. What a surprise a couple of weeks later when I checked my credit card account to find a GBP102.00 charge from the rental car company. Turns out the vehicle had been "ticketed" with a fine of GBP60 (plus rental car company GBP42 service charge to process the fine) for unpaid parking charges at Holiday Inn Bath. Incredible! I have researched and found that (a) there are signs that advise of the overnight parking charge, however the details are listed below the warning that the car park is for guests only. The impression is that an overnight charge applies to deter local non-guest cars from parking there, but no worry we had registered our car at reception (b) how do guests pay the charge? Do the staff collect at reception, and if so why wasn't this issue raised with us during the check-in procedure? (c) if there's some other way to pay the fee, surely the very least the staff could do is remind guests to pay the fee, especially as we had provided details that we had a car in the car park. Such a small service would cost the motel nothing and be well appreciated by guests! There is clearly a lack of customer service ethic. To add insult to injury, after reading other Trip Advisor comments, it appears there is discretion to waive the overnight car park fee. I wonder how one qualifies for a waiver? Further, only the "free this" and "free that" are advertised on the booking web site, no mention that this is one of the only motels I've stayed at globally that charges guests for parking (with perhaps the exception of big city centre hotels). On reflection, I'm not sure how we fell through the cracks and earned such an expense, but it leaves a baste taste and I will not stay at this property in future and will not recommend others to do so. No doubt the motel will have a glossy explanation - it won't help me. I suggest the management try a spot of staff training on the ways they can make their guests have a more pleasant stay without any stings in the tail. After all, they have a global brand to protect.

One more point: The motel has a small area stocked with drinks, snacks, pre-cooked meals etc. If you don't want to pay the motel's inflated prices, walk across the road to the petrol station (one minute) where you can get the same products in the convenience store for around a quarter of the price. Why don't hotels/motels get the message and just charge reasonable prices for their incidental products - they'd sell a lot more product and generate more revenue based on quantity of sales? I have only ever found one hotel (in Asia) that charged 7/11 prices in their mini-bar - their revenue increased 10-fold!

Room Tip: If you don't like waking up to views over the adjacent cemetery, try a room facing the car park.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

I would like to thank you for your loyalty within the Intercontinental Hotel Group, I am so pleased to hear that you've been a Priority Club member for such a long time.

I am so glad to hear that you found the hotel to be clean, quiet and comfortable. Our housekeeping team do work extremely hard to maintain a high level of cleanliness and comfort throughout the hotel for our guests.

As we are a Holiday Inn Express hotel, we are not full service, as you mentioned, so are only able to provide the free, hot option breakfast. However, we do provide pizzas in the evenings for our guests, which can be ordered at the bar for guests to sit in the dinning room and eat, or take back up to their room if they wish.

I am so sorry to hear that you received a parking fine while staying with us, I do apologise for this.

As guests enter the car park, there is a company called ParkingEye who will take a picture of the vehicle registration plate, and if this isn't registered in the terminals at reception, it will issue an automatic fine when the vehicle exits the car park. I am sorry that the member of staff checking yourself in didn't make you aware that you needed to register your vehicle in the terminal, I am extremely disappointed to hear this happened and will be discussing this with the team.

Our car park is for guests only, which is why we have the ParkingEye system in place, there are signs throughout the car park informing people entering the car park, that their vehicle registration number needs to be registered.

We do try to take the car parking charge of £8 a night upon check in, although some guests choose to pay on check out for this. Guests pay at reception for this, as the parking charge is added to the bill. There was obviously some confusion with your parking charge not being applied to your bill, and the vehicle not being registered, so I sincerely apologise that this happened.

As you have already paid for this parking fine through the rental company, if you contact the hotel, either by email; info@expressbath.co.uk, or telephone; 01225 303000, with the parking reference number, and your vehicle registration number that appears on the ParkingEye fine, we are more than happy to contact ParkingEye and get this fine refunded and cancelled for yourself, as well as contacting the car rental company for you.

I would like to apologise again, for this confusion and inconvenience, and thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is feedback such as yours which enables us to see how we are doing, and what areas we can improve on in the future.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Nice little place, superb value, decorative order was "as new" and in perfect condition. Easy walk to down-town Bath. Plenty of parking, hotel location was easy to find. Breakfast to the usual good Holiday Inn Express standard. Staff professional and welcoming. As an IHG gold member, I felt my repeat business was valued and appreciated. No surprises, no fuss a perfect in-expensive drop in "one night'er". Smart, clean etc, etc. A good example of IHG group "value hotel" at its best...........Will visit again if staying in Bath.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jonathan r
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your recent stay with us.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

As you mentioned, Our hotel is very lucky to be close by to popular landmarks, And main tourist attractions.

All of our staff do try and recognise our Intercontinental Hotel Group members. Thank you for your continue loyalty with our brand, it does mean a lot to us.

Thank you again for your kind review.

Kind Regards