“I value this sort of customer service”

Holiday Inn Express Bath
Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Bath
Gloucester, UK
“I value this sort of customer service”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Holiday Inn Express, as I have said before, is a dependable brand. Yet I would have rated this hotel as only average because, well, it was unexceptional. Its location is central-ish to Bath - there are other hotels closer to the centre. It has a car park, enough, I am told, for 60 cars, but you have to pay an extra £10 to use it. It is up to the usual high standards of cleanliness, but the decor in our room was almost ready for a make-over. Breakfast was great, but there was no bacon. See what I mean?

So why have I rated it as "Very Good"? Because these guys understand Customer Service: there was a problem with something in our room, and they were profuse in their apology and made good the situation as soon as possible and in an entirely satisfactory way. And, call me old-fashioned if you like, but I value this sort of customer service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JAGBrown
BathGuestServiceMgr, Guest Service Assistant at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

We are one of the few hotels in Bath that have a car park. We do usually have enough spaces available on a first come fist service basis.

I am glad your were happy with our customer service provided. I will pass this comment on to the rest of the team.

Hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Kind Regard

Jenny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Efficient, polite and helpful staff. But family room very, very cramped. Children complained that their Sofa bed was extremely uncomfortable. I tested mattress with my hand and could feel every spring! and bed would not go flat. My wife mentioned this to reception, they said that they would pass on comment to "Housekeeping" £160.00 for family room tolerable, bed not! Breakfast was ok'ish, but no bacon!! Unbelievable!! convenient for town centre. Unlikely to stay at an Holiday Inn now

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Cosmic52
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

We appreciate your comments regarding our staff service, the team here work very hard to make sure all of our guests enjoy their stay.

I am so sorry to hear you found our sofa bed to be uncomfortable during your stay. Our housekeeping team and maintenance technician carry out regular quality checks throughout the hotel, including our sofa beds. I am surprised to hear the issue you had with the sofa bed and I will be investigating this further. I do apologise that you experienced discomfort on this occasion.

Our free Express Breakfast consists of a continental buffet with 3 hot options, which are scrambled eggs, sausages, and baked beans, so although we do not serve a full English breakfast, we ensure there are hot options available to those guests who prefer this.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us. It is through comments like yours that we can continuously monitor our performance, and ensure we are delivering the best guest experience possible.

Rhys Wellington-Bridges
England
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night, two rooms. Reasonable rate compared with other hotels in the area and not too far to walk to the main sites. Quick check in, clean room with everything we needed for a nights stay. Did have to ask for bed linen for the sofa bed but it arrived promptly. Breakfast included in the rate eggs, sausage beans, breads muffins cereals the usual fare plenty if choice. Parking costs £10 which I never understand having to pay to park as a guest but seems to be the norm these days. Overall good place for a couple of nights.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us.

As you mentioned we are located just a short distance of 1 mile to the centre which is a 15 minute walk.
I am very pleased to hear you received an efficient check in and found our rooms to be everything you needed. Our housekeeping team do their utmost to maintain our high standards of cleanliness.
I am glad you found our Free Express Breakfast to have plenty of choice, we do try to make sure we have something for everyone.
We are very lucky to have the number of parking spaces we have at the hotel as parking in Bath is limited due to high demand. All hotels do charge for parking in Bath, and we are actually one of the cheapest hotels in Bath with regards to parking charges. Also, we allow our guests to park until 4pm on their day of departure.

Once again thank you for review and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Rhys Wellington-Bridges
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This Holiday Inn lives up to expectations, staff are bright and helpful (if a little thin on the ground when checking in) and the public areas clean and smart but lacking atmosphere.
Breakfast is good and includes some hot food.
Bedrooms are fine and well equipped but starting to look shabby, a bit of peeling wallpaper here and there and an only occasionally functioning AC unit in my room.
Adequate bathroom, good towels.
It’s about a kilometre from the city centre but there are restaurants close by, including a good Indian immediately opposite.
The biggest problem is outside noise. I couldn’t close the window (dodgy AC) so was forced to endure traffic changing gears for the nearby junction/traffic lights, late night revellers and the most exceptionally raucous seagulls I’ve ever heard. It really was very hard to sleep.
Clearly not the hotel’s fault but I’d avoid if you’re a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Possibly quitter at the back?
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
BathGuestServiceMgr, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bath, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time write a review about our hotel.

I am sorry to hear about the noise from the traffic. If you are thinking of returning to the hotel we would be happy to accommodate you to a quieter room.
Glad you enjoyed the breakfast that we serve.
We are lucky to be close to the town centre and have good restaurants close to the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Jenny
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Pros – Clean comfortable (although very small) rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. Fairly close to the main town centre (about a 15 min walk). Lots of parking (but not free). Free internet.
Cons – Overlooking a cemetery. Bit of a walk to the main town area but manageable. Feeding frenzy at the free breakfast which is mediocre at best but at least they offer some hot dishes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justine C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We always welcome any feedback we get, as this helps us monitor our performance and make improvements where required.

I am pleased to see you found our staff helpful and friendly, and found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. As you mentioned, we are a 10-15 walk from the town centre, and our reception team is always happy to help with maps and directions when asked.

I am sorry to see you were disappointed with our complimentary Express Start breakfast. As this is included for all guests at Holiday Inn Express hotels, we do experience very busy periods during the summer time, but our staff members try their hardest to ensure we provide a consistent service throughout the breakfast service hours.

Thank you again for posting your review, and I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

For me, the best thing about staying at Holiday Inn is the reliability factor - you always know what you'll get. This is why we again chose H.I.when in Bath. The tariff I must say was a bit more than expected: £129 plus another £10 to park the car, but it is the top of the season I told myself - and it is a nice, clean, spacious room.
But my faith was tested at breakfast. The buffet was an embarrassment with food and drink slopped on the floor and around the serving area - and the barest of offerings available. The cooked component was so old and overcooked as to be inedible. It may be a busy time, but that doesn't excuse such a slip in standards.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read you found your room to be nice, clean and spacious. However, I would like to offer my sincere apologies if you felt that our free Express Start breakfast was not up to your standards. Although we are experiencing some busy times at breakfast around this time of year, I agree that this does not excuse a slip in standards, as we aim to ensure all guests can enjoy their breakfast, regardless of when they stay with us.

We are certainly taking your comments on board, and have discussed them among ourselves to ensure we are providing a consistent service and offering during our breakfast service hours.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment, and I hope you will consider staying with us again if you ever return to Bath.

Nacogdoches, TX
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed one night on the way to Bristol. Stayed in HI's before but this one reminded me more of Days Inn or Super 8 in the US. The elevator (lift) went out while I was there (not much fun when you are on the 4th floor) and service was sometimes good (calling taxi, checking in) and sometimes awful (went down to get something from bar, was ignored then when asked it seemed like a major production). Not sure why the pillows are labeled soft and firm when there was no difference between the four of them. Water pressure was awful in the shower and wifi was slow. The bathroom was well designed with the door functioning as the door in and out of bathroom and for the wc as well. Very little room to hang anything. The bathroom and linens were clean, but the carpet was very stained. A Sainsbury is across the street and a decent pizza place is past the graveyard (I imagine some of the rooms would overlook the graveyard). 15 minute walk into Bath across some major roads and not so wonderful looking part of the city. Would stay closer into town next time. This was a "free night" for me for having the IHG credit card, so I say it costs the annual fee for the credit card (49) and that was about all it was worth.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay with us. We always welcome any feedback as this helps us identify areas we may need to improve in order to ensure our guests have a great experience every time they stay with us, and your comments have certainly been noted.

I am sorry to see you felt the service at the bar was below standard. Our team members cover both the bar and reception, and sometimes during busy periods this might mean that a guest at the bar may experience a short delay. However, I am sorry if you felt the team member on reception was less than excited to serve you, and I will definitely see to it that this will not happen again in the future.

Thank you again for posting your review, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again some time.