“Location not convenient”
Review of YHA Bath

YHA Bath
Ranked #10 of 39 Speciality Lodging in Bath
Reviewed 8 December 2013

very far from the main attractions in Bath, need to walk up hills for more than 15 minutes. No parking for car. However, excellent value for comfortable sleep if is not winter, no heater provided in the room. Breakfast is average.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PYTS

Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is a clean hostel with good, modern facilities. Plenty of free on-street car parking outside and beautiful views over Bath. Just beware of the steep hill from the city centre - it's quite a tiring walk!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Helen W
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed here for my friends hen weekend to keep the cost down. The rooms were fine except the heating was on constantly so it was very hot, esp when trying to get ready etc. The en suite could do with an re vamp but the communal showers were better and more modern.
It was walking distance into Bath, maybe 20 mins and all down hill. There is a bus stop right outside the hostel entrance though.
I would stay here again as for £22 per night it is a bargain.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sian E
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I live in Bath and I stayed here for one night in mid-September as I was moving house and it was definitely one of the better hostels I stayed in over the weekend in terms of modernity, attention to cleaning and the actual accomodation itself. The house architecture is beautiful!

I wasn't really told much about the facilities at the hostel (i.e. kitchens, bathrooms, common rooms) and considering it was a little out of the city centre I felt the staff could have made more of an effort to entertain guests on-site or at least tell me what there was to do there. Check in was quick and easy which was good because I was in a rush but the check in staff were not particularly friendly or warm.

The room and adjoining bathroom itself was large and clean to a much better standard than Backpackers, the beds were comfortable, and I found it good attention to detail that each bed had its own small light and shelf attached as I haven't seen that before. When I came in to find a bed, I was lucky one was free just by the door, but as the room is an 'L' shape, I can't imagine it would be easy to find one around the corner when the lights are off and there are people asleep!

Although it's not the hostel's fault, I was really not happy to be woken up at 3am by a loud and frankly insensitive drunk woman. She came in, loudly announced that she was 'trying to find a bed' followed by a swift flick of the light switch waking everyone up. She then went into the hall and proceeded to speak to her compadre in a volume akin to a foghorn before eventually getting into bed. I feel that this could be rectified by allocating beds on arrival so there is no fumbling in the dark, or else explaining to everyone that they should be respectful of sleeping guests, especially at 3am. I struggled to get back to sleep for a while after when I had to be at work in the city centre at 7am... not what I could have done with on a Sunday morning!

Overall, I feel my experience was somewhat dampened by the 3am wake up call, but the cleanliness and attention to detail was perhaps the best I experienced this weekend. I don't mind an uphill walk, but I can imagine some guests would find the walk irritating. I'd probably stay again, but not on a weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Malika L
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We collected rental car from Gatwick Airport and visited Stonehenge on our way to Bath.

No parking on site but parking on street. You can drive up steep drive to offload luggage. Old residence that has been modified to hostel standard. Rooms are larger than average and clean.

We recommend you bring your own pillow.

This property is isolated but does serve reasonable meals.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed in an ensuite room. the room is bigger than we expected. A Bathroom is really clean. The staff are quite friendly. We arrived the hostel a bit earlier than the check-in time. So, the counter was still closed but the staff allowed us to store the baggage in the store room.

However, we think that the location is a bit far from the city. It located on the Bathwick hill. It might not be convenience if you travel on foot with a heavy luggage. We think it would be better to take the bus No. U18 or 18 from the Dorchester street which is not far from the train station. It is approximately 5 bus stops. The Bus stop is located in front of the YHA. However, the sign is really small to notice so you would better ask the bus driver when to get off.

In general, good place to stay. Friendly staff. The price is reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mai S
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Great stay in a good location - no car park charges, and a pleasant walk (downhill) in to the city, via the footpath through the fields, then a stroll along the canal.

A steep walk back, but we could have caught a bus, as the bus stop is right outside, and lots of them passed us.

We left some property behind and the staff were so helpful finding it and arranging to post it back to us - brilliant :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family