“There are better options”
Review of YHA Bath

YHA Bath
Ranked #8 of 40 Speciality Lodging in Bath
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I know this is a hostel, but I was under the impression that YHA standards are a bit higher than other hostels. However, our ensuite double room was old, small, toilet was crammed and we were barely able to turn the shower on, plus the floor was dirty. Moreover, the hostel is in renovation, which makes it quite noisy during the day. Not a big bother if you're out, but I still think this should have been mentioned on their website when we made the booking. The good thing wad that the staff were helpful and nice. But I'm sure there are better and cleaner options in Bath for the same price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 July 2014

YHA Bath is an absolutely gorgeous mansion atop a hill tucked into the woods. I feel that some reviewers forget that this is a HOSTEL and not a HOTEL. Yes the showers are somewhat weak, and the rooms are bunked. It is a fantastic value and well worth the stay. My only word of warning is that the hotel is slightly out of town not in the heart of Bath.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The prices were reasonable, it was clean and though the showers weren't the greatest in terms of water pressure I'd definitely go back and stay again. The location was ideal as most attractions were within walking distance. With a decent continental breakfast provided, I'd definitely stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed with my daughter for one night, as she had trials at Bath uni. I had not been in a youth hostel since I was 16 and as I don't sleep well, it is not quite the place for me. Having said that, the staff were really friendly, bedding was lovely and soft and the showers were clean. We mentioned a problem with the sinks and it was dealt with immediately. Breakfast (extra) had plenty of choices.
Parking was easy and free on the street about 3 minutes down a hill. Location is excellent.
It could do with a bit of a clean up....cobwebs etc. I would use it again and at 53, I was in the middle of the age range.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Bath Youth Hostel is up a steep driveway which runs off a long steep hill. There is no car parking on site. Staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean bright and airy. Bathrooms are clean and modern but the showers are simply dreadful. A dribble of water. Good on site well priced laundry with drier. Breakfast was good.
If the showers were even average, I would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed with four of my family members in the back building, it was terrible! We stayed two nights, sinks & showers drained slowly, wastebaskets were full and not emptied and the rooms smelled musty and filthy. The front building may have been cleaner. I would NOT recommend staying here at all!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Cynthia W
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I booked a long weekend at Bath hostel, the first time I have visited a hostel since my children were young. The staff were friendly and welcoming, I ate dinner there two nights and the food was great, especially the home made soup to start. The hostel is easy to reach from the town centre by the 18 or U18 bus which stops at the bottom of the drive. You can take that bus downhill into town or ride it uphill to the end of the route (Bath Uni) then walk a bit further to visit the American Museum. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo