“Great value for money smack-bang in the middle of town.”

Bath Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #36 of 38 Speciality Lodging in Bath
Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

The Bath backpackers was undergoing renovations whilst I stayed, however there was no disruptive noises whilst I was there, although the Dungeon (party area) was closed. The common room was a great place to chill out with free tea and coffee available. The dorms were atypical of backpacker accommodation. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, it doesn't have an institutional viber about it like some other backpackers I've stayed at, and I found the staff helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank quirky22blonde

Reviewed 13 November 2012

I had never stayed in a hostel before, so I didn't really know what to except. I knew I would be sharing a dorm with strangers, which didn't bother me in the slightest.

It was great when I arrived in Bath; it was so clean and elegant and sophisticated, so I was feeling really positive about the hostel. But when seeing the outside of the hostel, it didn't have the touch of elegance as the rest of Bath. But I was expecting this anyway, as I didn't pay very much.

The hallways were small, the building was crooked, the beds hurt my back, the one pillow was too thin, the windows were very thin, the toilet area was dirty and unkempt.

It was fine though, if all you are doing is sleeping and staying out for the rest of the day, which is what I did. However, the mattress, although quite comfy, had a sort of hardness to it, so my back ached when I woke up in the morning, and it didn't help that I only had one pillow, which I had to fold in half.

I also didn't like that we had to pay a refundable deposit upon arrival. It was great that I got my money back, but it was never mentioned on the website, or in emails that I had to pay a deposit, so this came out of my budget for the weekend. The staff, however, were pleasant enough.

The windows are incredibly thin. For the two nights I was there, none of the windows in our dorm were open, yet I could hear so clearly groups of people in the street who were going out clubbing or something. It was crazy loud, and did wake me up during the first night.

The second night, I had the worst sleep of my life. However, this wasn't the fault of the hostel. There just so happened to be three loud snorers in our dorm, which kept me from sleeping most of the night. Tip for the staff at this hostel: Create a 'snore dorm' - all those that snore get placed in the same dorm. And it's not just me being fussy; both my friends and other people in the dorm couldn't sleep either.

The TV room was nice enough. It could have done with a few more seats, and I didn't like that there was just one person in charge of the TV watching what they wanted. Though luckily, what was on, I really enjoyed.

The most positive thing about this hostel was that it's in a fantastic location. There are so many beautiful things to see in this area of Bath. And with it being Autumn made it that much more gorgeous. Very convenient as the Roman Baths were a two minute walk away, as was a lovely garden by the river, and the Thermae Bath Spa, which was all very enjoyable.

I suppose, if money was tight, I would stay here again, but if I had the luxury of staying somewhere better, I would.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My two brothers, a nephew and I stayed here last night in a private room for four @ £25 each. There was a PIN code lock on our bedroom door and lockers inside, (although we could use one locker because somebody else had left a padlock was in the door). The guy at the desk was friendly, the room o.k. and the showers clean and modern. There was a clean kitchen but we didn't use it. Our accommodation was cheap so we had plenty of money to eat out. The common room probably smelt the same as most hostel common rooms :-) The 'dungeon' bar was closed for decoration but that didn't matter to us.

I have stayed in much, much nicer places but they have cost much, much more. Bath is one of the U.K.'s most expensive place to stay in. Quite what some of the other reviewers expect for the money is beyond me.

If you want a cheap place to stay in Bath I can recommend this place - providing you are not the sort of person who expects a £200 room for £25!!!

Room Tip: Our room was right at the top, in the roof I think.
Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SPHcold
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed here once years ago and don't remember being this unhappy with it. I just returned today from a 3-day stay and wish that I had paid a little more for a nicer place and my own room. First, the beds are so hard and uncomfortable that I didn't sleep decently the entire time. My back is absolutely killing me! Also, the walls/doors are not sound proof, so you can head all of the yelling and running up and down the stairs (and there is a lot of both) that goes on in the entire hostel. They post signs on the stairs to be quiet after 10:30pm, but they don't enforce it and so there are teenagers constantly yelling and pounding on things until all hours of the night. The second night I was there some girl threw up on the stairs (we could all hear her), and though they did clean it up, they apparently used paper towels, because the carpeted stairs were covered in ripped remnants of the clean up the next morning. Also, on morning 3, the fuses kept blowing out for the basement for some reason. This is where the bathrooms and showers are, so those of us who were in there were plunged into total darkness off and on for quite some time. Perhaps I'm just getting too old to be staying in hostels, but I spent my stay there, wishing I had paid more for a B & B. The only things going for this place is the low price and the fact that its in the center of all of Bath's attractions.... however, Bath is a small city, so really, any place you stay there is going to be in the center of the attractions.

Room Tip: The B&B's and other hotels in Bath are not much more and will definitely be more comfortable...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I always find hostels strange. But we needed somewhere cheap and easy. They staff were a bit rude and seemed quick to take a deposit which we didnt get back. Our dorm was clean enough despite other reviews. Would'nt describe as "Cheap and cheerful" - more "Cheap" but convenient. Wouldnt recommend for family or a couple! Would say it's worth if for groups looking for somewhere to stay after a night out

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Having a horrifying feeling while walking into this hostel, the ugliest part of Bath, I asked to see the room I would be staying in and the very rude man looked at me and said "well you wont be getting your money back, EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS A SIGN ON THE DOOR THAT SAID NO REFUNDS FOR GROUP TRIPS... I was not in a group. He then said if you don't like the room I WILL CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR THE ROOM, Because that will surely make me like the room more... Staff unfriendly, UNCLEAN, door knob DUCT TAPED onto door , woman screaming bloody murder in the middle of the night outside and could hear baby from another building screaming from the bathroom. Look at the photo of the bathroom by the way.... unfriendly staff, and horrible names for rooms as well. THE NAME OF THE ROOM I WAS ASSIGNED WAS LABELED RIP DOES THAT MAKE SOMEONE AT EASE.... NO. I WOULD RATE THEM BELOW ON THE RATING CHOICES BUT THEY DONT EVEN DESERVE ONE STAR.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Yasmina E
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Very poor stay overall, location is great, but staff were very rude!! Only one gentleman working who was rude and condescending, he practically told us at the offset not to expect our deposit back... Which we didn't! He made up lies that we had been drinking in the room, which we had definitely had not been. The clensiness was also very poor. Overall a poor stay, the only saving grace was the location was great, but would recommend looking at hostels elsewhere, as you will be paying an extra £5 on top of your room price, as we spoke to a young couple who also lost there deposits for a made up reason!!

• Stayed: September 2012