“Don't recommend”

St Christopher's Inn Bath
Ranked #21 of 38 Speciality Lodging in Bath
Reviewed 30 January 2014

If you can find somewhere else in Bath then go there! Although it was cheap, it was crap to put it frankly. 3 of us paid for a 6 bed all girl dorm but when we went to the bar to check in we were told that they had over booked our room and were trying to rearrange people. When we got to our room it turns out they had put us into a mixed dorm, wish we had asked to get back the extra money we paid for an all girl dorm! The beds were uncomfortable and creaky, almost non-existent pillow. Very loud mob from the bar downstairs proceeded to make lots of noise outside our window during the early hours of the morning. Bathrooms weren't very clean and smelt so we decided not to shower and to wait until we got home. Some of the toilets didn't flush either. My friends bag got stuck in the 'locker/cage' that you have under the beds and the staff didn't have many tools to hack it open. You'd think that would be a common occurrence?!
Don't recommend at all!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Three good thing about this hostel was it's central location and the discounts they give guests at the bar. It was also pretty clean. However the rooms are crowded (our 12, bed dorm was a tight squeeze), half the lockers had broken latches, the bunks were creeky and noisy, there was no kitchen in the small common room save for an electric jug and microwave but no sink, and the showers are terrible. I didn't mind the push button every 20 seconds to keep the water flow but my first shower was cold (with no temperature gauge but there was hot water in the basins) and my next shower went EVERYWHERE. It was all I could do to keep my clothes dry on the door hook. I also thought charging £3 to store luggage was pretty weird. It is on a central location above a bar (which is where you check in) so it should be accepted there will be noise and maybe you'll need earplugs. There are also lots of narrow stairs up to the rooms but neither of these things bothered me.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is good for what it is. Depending on the season you will pay a varying rate.
It is on top of a pub, where check-in is.
It is posh, clean or fancy. It is basic basic and well it is a hostel with communal bathrooms, so if you are cool with roughing it, this place will suit you fine.

The staff were young students from the area, but were nice enough, but not necessarily knowledgeable.

We got a private twin room, which turned out to be bunk beds, rather than two separate beds as would be expected.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Don't be fooled by all the "we don't let you have any water for your shower because we care about the environment" signs. Our room was so overheated and you can't control the heaters in the room. When I asked staff they just told me to open a window (which incidentally didn't open cos I was on the third floor). Staff are quite rude such as the lady who tried to keep my 10 pound towel deposit even though I returned the towel! The bar downstairs can be packed and its filled with all kinds of people (not just fellow hostellers) so it's difficult to meet people. The "lockers" in the room are minuscule, basically fit a handbag and a few other bits. Also half the lockers in my room were broken. The location is about the only good thing I can mention.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Having read the negative reviews on here before getting to the hostel i was a bit skeptical about what i was getting myself in for. I stayed for 2 nights with my friend. When we arrived, we were told we would have to wait a few hours to check in but we were given a map of bath and the bar tender pointed out some good places to see quickly and put our things in the luggage room for us. When we came back and checked in, the young girl was happy and helpful and we went to the room. It was empty when we got there (12 dorm room). The place was very tidy, floors had been cleaned, beds all made ready for guests and you get to pick your own bed instead of being told where your sleeping (the beds were pretty comfy compared to others ive stayed in). The bathrooms were ok, not the best, but each toilet cubicle has its own basin and mirror in it for some privacy getting ready in the morning. The showers have to be constantly pushed on but its like most hostels nowadays to save energy and water. Atleast i got a nice stream of hot water and hooks to hang my clothes up off the wet floor. You can come and go with your key cards at any hour without disturbing anyone and the reception offers free ear plugs if it gets a tad noisy. (It is right above a bar so take the earplugs). You get 25% off food at the bar and generous drink offers and discounts during your stay. For the price of the accommodation, i was pleasantly surprised with what we received and the customer servicefrom the staff. Its right in the heart of bath, close to all pubs, clubs, sights, shopping, christmas markets etc. Id happily stay there again and recommend it for a cheap place to stay :)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed here recently on a girl's night away in Bath.
The location was great - right in the heart of Bath, next to all of the bars / restaurants, a big waitrose for groceries, and all of the sights of Bath - an easy walk to wherever you need to go!
Car park is available at Charlotte Street Long Stay approx 5 mins walk from the hostel if you are driving.
We arrived early but were able to leave our bags in a locked room.
The hostel was full so we were sharing a mixed sex room but had no problems.
Bedrooms and Bathrooms were clean, easy and safe access to the rooms via a keypad with your room card.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2013

It was comfortable enough. Soap in communal bathrooms was few and far between - as was hand towels. Bathrooms were pretty gross though, the tap I used to brush my teeth leaked all over the show.

Pub right outside was super noisy :(. And that was on a Sunday night.

Lots of stairs to get up to room, and quite awkward to wriggle suitcases around, so took a while getting in and out.

To keep your bags there for a day also costs £3, which seems a little steep as most hostels provide this service for free.

Ok to stay for 1-2 nights, but wouldn't want to stay much longer. However nice and central and staff were super helpful and friendly - they really know their stuff and are happy to help out with directions, advice, all that stuff.

I prepaid Breakfast - but a little tip, if you have food allergies (I'm Gluten Free) make sure you tell them before you arrive, so they can have the food for you. I had to have bread in the end just to have something to eat!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo