I don’t know where to begin…From reading all the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor we had such high hopes…
1) None of the rooms are ensuite- On the phone when booking we were told the room was a ‘king size ensuite’, the only room left. We accepted and were quite excited about it. On arrival we learned it was a ‘private bathroom’ on a different floor of the house. It was not private as it had no lock or room number on it, just a shared bathroom. When we spoke to the girl she told us, quite intensely, that it ‘is an ensuite’. Very difficult to address if you don’t want an all-out argument. Likewise, the bed was a 5ft, not a Kingsize, despite the girl’s insistence.
2) Poor Cleanliness- There was mould in the drawers and around the ornaments in the room. Probably not helped by the shower free-standing in the corner of the room, with no extractor.
3) Health & Safety- We were worried when we learned that the main boiler for the house is in a cupboard in the room, and vents directly into the room!
4) Atmosphere- We learned on arrival that the reason the rooms are all booked out is that the other rooms are let to social tenants, so the atmosphere at breakfast was very strange, like sitting in the kitchen of a stranger getting their kids ready for school, and talking of when they would be ‘moved on’.
5) Décor and Condition- The décor is nothing like the photographs, with the photos taken over 10 years ago. The door was so badly bent it looked like it may have been kicked in, so everyone in the hall could see us in our room. We felt insecure and had no privacy.
6) Noise- There was a busy train line directly under the room. Woken at 5am and then every 20 minutes or so.
7) Pricing- The room quoted on the website was more expensive in person- Apparently the website needs updating…
We spoke to the Tourism Information office about this, and they have stopped listing Roman City as 'ensuite' due to the number of complaints in the past years.
The good points were Sean, who was very nice, and breakfast, which was very good. However, I would be concerned too many travellers are being 'softened up' the next morning with Sean's charm and leaving good reviews!
- Also Known As:
- Roman City Guest House Hotel Bath