“Very average and customer service not up to much.”
Review of Old Time Vintage Tea Rooms - CLOSED

Old Time Vintage Tea Rooms
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We visited today for a Mothers Day treat with the family. We had a rather frosty reception (we have a toddler and a had a sleeping baby in the pram); there was quite a lot of fuss over where we could be seated and it was suggested we sit in a separate area (we were sure this was due to the fact that we had a rather vocal toddler with us!). We decided we would rather sit in the main area but when we requested this, it appeared to no longer be an option! After some discussion over whether we should stay or go somewhere else, we decided to stay. By this point it was probably obvious to staff that we weren't that impressed... We sat down in the sofa area, and ordered our tea and cakes. The choice was good, but the cakes were pretty average. The portions were very good but for the price, I wouldn't expect anything less.

We stayed for a good hour or more, and during this time, the woman who we assumed to be the manager made a few attempts at idle chit-chat (I'm sure in an effort to make up for the initial approach). Just before we left I visited the bathroom and I took the opportunity to have a browse at the downstairs area of the tea room - it was empty and the manager was certainly making the most of the quiet time by putting her feet up and falling asleep on one of the sofas! Not particularly professional and I couldn't help but feel sorry for the staff busily working around her.

When we received the bill (£16 for one pot of tea, an apple juice and 3 cakes), the waitress who to our money was particularly unapproachable and made no effort at all to communicate with us. A family entered at this point and were told that a table of 4 wasn't available but I mentioned we were just leaving and the look I received from the member of staff was quite something!

I don't think we'll bother going back.

3  Thank Helen T

Reviewed 3 March 2013

This cafe serves fantastic cakes. I strongly recommend the chocolate cake with cherries!
They also serve Jade sword green tea but I suggest you pour it after one minute not three!
Staff are dressed in vintage style to go with the vintage china and atmosphere.

7  Thank Tim O
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This pretty place next to the Assembly Rooms has the most fantastic cakes and proper fresh leaf tea. The cakes are lovely- the chocolate cake and Bakewell tart absolutely the best.
The old fashioned embroidered tablecloths and mismatching china are such a refershing change from corporate stuff.
Stays open till 5 on Sundays so you can get a lovely tea when all the other businesses have closed- brilliant.
Go there -this business deserves to succeed.

8  Thank Diana T
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We went to Bea's for afternoon tea on Monday afternoon while having a long weekend in Bath and thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of our visit. From the friendly staff to the atmosphere and the yummy food everything was excellent.

There were lots of yummy sounding options on the menu but we decided on the afternoon tea for two plus a milkshake each. The option we picked didn't include the drinks but that was perfect as I'm not a tea drinker and avoid coffee in the afternoon so it meant I could easily pick another drink.
It may sound strange to go for afternoon tea and not like tea but I love the sandwiches and cakes!

Neither of us eat fish and the usual sandwiches included salmon but it was no problem at all to have a different filing instead.

The food arrived and there was plenty of it. Everything was really yummy - the bread was really soft, sandwich fillings were tasty and the cakes were amazing - huge slices of fresh homemade Victoria sandwich and chocolate with cherry cake. The other cakes on display looked equally tasty. The milkshakes were also excellent, made with real fruit rather than with syrup.

I loved all the little touches - the china, cake stand, pretty tablecloths and decor. Bea even came over for a chat and took our photo with the food which was really kind.

I fully intend to visit Bea's vintage tearooms again and would definitely recommend it.

1  Thank Blondilocks
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Bea's tearoom is stunningly unique and beautiful! When I visit Bath from my home in Cornwall with my 10year old daughter and my friend we always head to Bea's for afternoon tea. The Earl Grey tea is superb, piping hot and served in bone china from a more glamourous age and the chocolate milk shake is according to my daughter the best in the west, if not the whole world!
A fabulous place and I can't wait to pop in again on my next visit to Bath.

8  Thank Ladymeadboo